Author Topic: Odometer Verification  (Read 9573 times)

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
on: September 14, 2010, 02:23:17 pm
Hi guys,

Very recently I compared my commute from home to office and back, between the Odometer of my RE 350 (19" front) and the C500 (18" front). And was surprised to learn that my C500 was showing more KMS as compared to the 350 for the same distance.

On digging in further, I came to know that RE has the same Speedometer cum Odometer unit for its Classic 350 (with 19" front wheel) and the C500 with an 18" here in India.

The difference in reading is approximately 9% higher on the C5. I have had one of the Speedometer replaced under warranty but without any change at all.

Has anbody verified the MPH Unit installed on US & European models for true reading.
If these are having over reading error then probably the gas consumption of C5 is not as good as we have been thinking all along  :D

Cheers.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 02:28:21 pm
LoL..  someone noticed....  Not a big surprise...
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 02:46:40 pm
I just received my G-5 a week or so ago and have been doing about 50 miles a day @ 35-40 mph according to break-in instructions.  To lay out routes, I use my Garmin GPSmap 276's Mapsource program, which I download to the GPS.  Anyway the GPSmap gives pretty accurate MPH figures, and to hit a true 40mph, my speedo on the G-5 has to read 44MPH.  For a true 35 it has to hit around 38-9 on the speedo.  I figure the speedometer is thus about 4MPH off on the high side.  That's about the same as it is on my Iron Barrel ES, only there at 50 on the Speedometer, the GPSmap says I'm doing an exact 45, so at 50 that one's off by 5MPH: i.e. it reads high by 10%.  I should think that a bigger diameter wheel -- less rpms for the same speed -- should lower that percentage given the same construction speedometer.  At least if you go by the RE speedos, one shouldn't get a speeding ticket if the needle's on the speed limit!  ;D
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 06:57:10 pm
My speedo seems pretty accurate. I asked a friend with a new VW Golf to drive at 60mph for around 5 miles so that I could follow and test my speedo. It showed 60mph, spot on. We could both have dodgy speedos of course - but I don't think so. I'm also aware when following traffic in 30, 40 and 50 mph zones that my speedo shows those speeds. I must've got a goodn.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 07:06:36 pm
I frequently get stuck behind those people who do EXACTLY the posted limit and it looks good.  Also, on a trip I frequently take that's 402 km according to the tripmeter in the car, my odo on the C5 clocked it up almost exactly within a kilometre or two.  

Pretty sure mine is bang on.  But I've always wondered.  The next time I see a radar trap or some constable chats me up, I'm going to just swing 'round and ask them!
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 10:13:29 pm
At a local road where the MPH is shown on the big display (and blinks if you are over the limit), my C5 shows 33mph on the bike when the sign shows 30mph.

just a data point.

How would a 19" front wheel change that?
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 12:21:58 am
My C5 seems to read about 5mph faster than the radar signs tell me I'm going.  I would guess the radar signs are more accurate ;)

Scott

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 12:31:04 am
I've set a radar sign up, they always show you slightly faster than you are. 3-5 mph. The city I worked for had one.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 12:43:07 am
I've set a radar sign up, they always show you slightly faster than you are. 3-5 mph. The city I worked for had one.

Man , thats sneaky!  But effective I guess.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 04:19:52 am
I put a Sigma 1606L bike speedometer and checked with both radar and mileposts. It's bang on. The speed variation mentioned in the Meilaushi's post is dead on for my G-5.

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 08:35:08 am
Hi

I think I must rephrase my query.

my question was aimed more at the accuracy of the "ODOMETER"  the one that calculates distance, rather than the Speedometer.

Are the odometers on your C5 calculating the correct distance covered by you, as compared to any other vehicle that you may have used to commute the same distance, such as a car equipped with digital ODOMETER or GPS ??

Thanks for a response.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 08:48:31 am
I'd have thought if the one was accurate then the other ought to be, but now you mention it - interesting thought.....  I'll investigate further.........
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 08:36:03 pm
Hi

I think I must rephrase my query.

my question was aimed more at the accuracy of the "ODOMETER"  the one that calculates distance, rather than the Speedometer.

Are the odometers on your C5 calculating the correct distance covered by you, as compared to any other vehicle that you may have used to commute the same distance, such as a car equipped with digital ODOMETER or GPS ??

Thanks for a response.
Next time I'm out, I'll check the odo against the GPS crumb trail (track) as the GPS gives a final readout on the distance covered by the track.  I'll have to see. Never thought to check that previously.  I was always more interested in the mph reading vs mph real.
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 10:20:42 pm
Comparing against other vehicles could give you wildly varying results.  Most speeods and odometers on most vehicles are not accurate.  Better to use mile markers on the side of the road as a base or your GPS if you trust it.

Scott

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 07:50:57 am
Hi guys did any one check the correctness of the ODOMETER (distance measuring).
Also is discolouration of exhaust covered for replacement under warranty.....thanks for turning up with your valuable feedback.