Author Topic: Heat shield problem  (Read 10340 times)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #30 on: November 04, 2010, 06:58:31 pm
Delighted to hear that!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #31 on: March 23, 2013, 07:26:39 pm
A little update:

I finally got some time to fool with the bike.  I bought a stainless steel hose clamp and used the metal band as material to fashion a new clip.  I fished it through the hoop that was left from the original and bent it to stay in place, then installed the new shield on it.  While I was at it I tossed those allen head screws and replaced them with standard 6 point 10 mm head bolts.  They don't look as pretty but the heads don't strip as easily.

We'll see how it holds up tomorrow.

Scott

Scott - do you have a photo of what you did here?  I was hoping to have my new EFI muffler from NGF by now, but it's been back-ordered since December, so I'll be continuing to use the factory muffler.  Therefore, I want to take care of this rattle, which is the same one you had.  I think I understand what you did, but a pic is worth ten-thousand words in this case...

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: March 26, 2013, 05:09:21 am
I recently ordered a 'classic' silencer from Hitchcocks (part 91080) that is a straight swap for the stove pipe fitted as standard on my Electra EFI. It has a removable baffle and is fully compatible with the standard ECU. Along with that I ordered a 30cm long 'universal' heat shield (part 91043), which came with a couple of stainless steel Jubilee clips.

This covers the join between header pipe and silencer, also the tab on the downpipe that held the front of the original heat shield.  I had to flatten that tab though, or the heat shield stuck  at the front. I also had to fiddle about with the placement of the shield so it didn't foul the kickstart, which I use for freeing off the clutch when the engine is cold.  It seems to give the starter mechanism an easier time.

The result looks great. The finishing touch was the fishtail (part 91095). On the old silencer this was just cosmetic.  On the new one it takes the hard crackle off the exhaust note, but doesn't stifle it. It seems that Velocette developed the fishtail end piece in the 30's in response to complaints about the noise their sports bikes made, especially in towns. So even in the 30's, bikes were deemed by some to be antisocial.

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: March 29, 2013, 08:57:24 pm
Here are some photos of my new Hitchcock exhaust / heatshield combination, complete with fishtail:

Just been for a longish run. The exhaust note is great round town, but the jury is out on noise levels when cruising at 55 - 60mph.......

Blair

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #34 on: March 29, 2013, 09:22:07 pm
Scott - do you have a photo of what you did here? 

I took the stock muffler off a while ago.  I don't know if I still have the little bracket I made or not.  If not I'll try to make a drawing or something and post it.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: March 29, 2013, 09:25:46 pm
I thought around town speeds were 55.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: March 29, 2013, 11:12:50 pm
Town speed limits in the Uk are generally 30mph (20 near schools), out of town on fast 'A' roads is between 50 and 60, motorway (highway) 70.

The best roads for my money are the 'off the beaten track ones' ones, and thankfully Scotland still has plenty of those. The western & northern isles (Hebrides, Orkneys, Shetlands) are a biker's paradise, and they still produce malt whisky on quite a few. Heaven.

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: March 31, 2013, 02:39:31 am
It is rare to find a stretch of road, whether in or out of town, were one can still ride at the limit set by the Code.

May I recommend you for excellent taste? As I ride a maroon electra myself. They are so rare. ;D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: April 01, 2013, 08:22:52 am
I agree, maroon (riviera red) Enfields do seem a bit less common than the other colours.  At the Enfield dealership in Glasgow people seem most interested in black bullets, or the two 'military' colours that the classic is available in over here. Recently a matt sand colour has been introduced, along with the matt olive green.  They both look great, but the classic is about £800 ($1200) dearer than the electra, and there's not much you can polish on a matt bike!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #39 on: April 01, 2013, 09:03:42 am
Sorry, that piece that I made is long gone.  Just bend a piece of steel into a Z shape.  One side will hook under the loop on the head shield, the other on the loop that's left on the tail pipe.  Just hook it into the shield, and slide it back to catch the pipe.  Then bolt it down.

If I were going to do it over, I'd just cut the shield at the edge of the muffler and toss the part that covers the pipe.  Paint the edge to keep it from rusting and get an aftermarket shield for the pipe.

Scott