Author Topic: VERY weird G5 behaviour  (Read 2678 times)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
on: September 13, 2010, 11:22:11 am
So I started the bike in the normal manner - there have been a few problems lately with hesitant and non turning of starter motor. This time, when the bike started, the starter motor wouldn't disengage. I switched off - kill switch and ignition key, all lights went off - and the starter motor kept right on cranking the engine over!!  I removed the ignition key, put bike on side stand - and the starter motor kept right on cranking the engine over!!.  I rushed into the garage to get tools - the engine still cranking - and removed the battery lead - it stopped.
The same thing happens each time I try again.
There was me last week thinking the battery must be getting flat. There's nothing wrong with this battery!
How bizarre is this.....?
The dealer's coming this afternoon to collect the bike but reckons they wont be able to look at it until friday  :(  
Watch this space.........  
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 11:29:58 am by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 11:54:00 am
I knew I had heard of this before. (Sadly.) There is a post called "starter won't stop" that makes some suggestions.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,6850.0.html

Good luck.  :)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 12:52:52 pm
A thousand thanks Clubman!   I gave the relay a bash with the screwdriver handle and have started it again without problem. I called the dealer to save him a trip out here and me a week without my bike, and he'll either get Watsonian to post me a new relay direct, or if they don't have one to hand he'll take one off a new bike for me to collect.
Looks like a result. Thanks again for the link.   :)

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 01:29:55 pm
You're welcome, Will.  :) I heard that Watsonian are supplying a Japanese relay as a replacement after a few "issues". Perhap's you could let me know what happens? I may well consider buying one before anything similar happens.   

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 03:25:44 pm
I'll update when the new one arrives. Hopefully it will be the new improved model......

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 07:29:52 pm
I'll update when the new one arrives. Hopefully it will be the new improved model......

The starter relay has acted up in some UCE bikes.  Good thing you were at home and not on the road somewhere.  Hope you get an improved and reliable relay.

I wonder if there is a way to predict in advance if relay is about to go south - anyone ?
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 07:52:56 pm
I'm glad too that I was at home. I'd just fully loaded the saddle bags and had stuff strapped onto the back for a delivery run - round trip of 150 miles. I was looking forward to a day on the bike after a few days away from home. Ah well, it's all gone by courier now....