Author Topic: Tears of Endearment on G5  (Read 8826 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
on: September 13, 2010, 12:16:58 am
RE motorcycles are always needing some TLC.  Now that my black stallion G5 has reached 5 figures on odometer, it wants more  :D.  

On my G5, there were tears of fork oil on the rear side of left fork bellows.  I wiped it clean and again the fork oil film appeared.  I took off the top ring clamp and looked behind it, but the main tube was clean.  Where is it coming from ??  Followed the tube up and found that there was some oil inside the head lamp casing, around the fork tube.  It led me to the top of the tube where I found that the Screw Plug was loose.  Tightened it and hopefully it is fine.

Just a friendly reminder to new owners of these Bullet motorcycle - Tighten every screw, nut, bolt head that you can see.  I had missed this Screw Plug and this fork oil leak soon reminded me that it needs TLC.  ;)    

« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 12:20:18 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 12:28:02 am
That "Screw Plug" has an o-ring on it. On the older ones the o-ring would kinda disintegrate. A hardware store o-ring was a worthy upgrade.
If it keeps leaking replace em.
CJ 
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 01:29:42 am
That "Screw Plug" has an o-ring on it. On the older ones the o-ring would kinda disintegrate. A hardware store o-ring was a worthy upgrade.
CJ 
Thanks CJ. 
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 03:22:20 am
 Singh, remove that slotted chrome plug ,and see if there is fork oil under it. If there is, there should not be, if you have the same front end as a C-5.  If I remember correctly,there is another plug under that chrome one. I believe is has a 6mm allen head. see if it is loose.The top chrome slotted plug is decorative. The plug under it is the top plug on the fork. You can not remove it through the hole, but you can tighten or loosen it some through the hole. I think maybe that is where it is leaking from.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 08:48:00 am
I agree to above. On my c5 its size 13 Lk i think. You have to tightened the seal cap under the chrome cap to stop the oil from leaking.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 09:04:16 am
There is no plug under the slotted chrome top plug on the G5. At least not on my G5. I have previously removed the chrome plug to check the fork oil level with a wire dip stick - only one plug to remove.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 12:52:12 pm
Sigh JI can you post a picture of the exploded view of the fork assembly from the service manual, that would give a clear picture to what parts are on the assembly.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 01:50:27 pm
I don't know what purpose a plug under a plug would be but there is no extra plugs on my G5.
The hex under the plug on mine is for unscrewing the fork tube from the upper tree.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 02:23:17 pm
The top cap on C5 works as a cosmetic as well as weather protection for the oil cap in the fork.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 02:27:05 pm
I don't know what purpose a plug under a plug would be but there is no extra plugs on my G5.
The hex under the plug on mine is for unscrewing the fork tube from the upper tree.
CJ
Yea CJ, Thats the plug or cap I was refering to. IF it's the same as the C-5. You can tighten or loosen it a bit, through the hole under the chrome plug. I may be a different set up though on the G-5, Will says he can remove the chrome plug and access the fork oil? There is probably a O ring on the hex plug you were refering to as well?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 02:34:43 pm
The hex I was referring to is actually made right in to the top of the fork tube. And if you can screw it one way or another then your fork tube is loose.
After it is screwed all the way up the pinch clamp in the lower tree is tightened so it won't unscrew itself.
Don't know if the C5 is different but change doesn't seem to happen at REM often.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 02:55:30 pm
@gashousegorilla-I think G5 owners will get a clear picture once we see the exploded view of the fork/rod assembly.

On a C5 fork rod, you can loosen or tighten the hex bolt which has a seal but you can not undo the hex bolt cap completely without removing the fork rods. For that you have to remove the forks.

I just compared two different C5 manuals and I think I know the reason for so much confusion  and different opinion between two C5 fork oil caps.

Somewhere down the line RE has changed the design of the end caps and rods of C5 fork or there is a difference between the domestic and export C5 suspension. In one diagram it has 4 parts of a assembly  of a end cap of the fork where as Will said that he can unscrew the flange bolt and he's absolutely right.

Another design fork rod has only one cap with a o-ring which gets screwed on to the inside if the rod. This is the one I have and I am not lucky enough like Will to unscrew the bolt to check or feed oil into the rod. For me the whole suspension has to come out to put some fresh oil.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 04:59:50 pm
I had a similar leak on my '04 Sixty-5. It has a little O-ring at the very top of the fork.  If tightening up the tube and replacing the O-ring in the cap doesn't get it you will have to pull the top tube and replace that little sucker.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 05:20:34 pm
CJ 

I guess you are talking about the O-ring on Top Screw Plug as shown below in the picture.  The top screw plug is about 1 inch long. 
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 05:34:36 pm
There is no plug under the slotted chrome top plug on the G5. At least not on my G5. I have previously removed the chrome plug to check the fork oil level with a wire dip stick - only one plug to remove.

CJ

My G5 forks are like the ones described by WillW and CJ.  There is no plug under the Top Screw Plug, which is quite long and has an O-ring on it.  The tip of this top screw plug may reach large Hex opening on the top of the upper fork tube end.  

As WillW did, I could also push an old hanger metal straightened wire deep into the form and check the oil level.  Looked at both left and right forks and both are the same.  

There was some oil on top of the Hexagonal Hole as seen in the picture below. This fork oil must have jumped several inches up to the top due to numerous sharp  cracks and bumps on our roads (SSR - not much different from your roads !).  The roads are not so motorcycle friendly where I live.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 07:03:51 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk