Author Topic: Broken Speedo cable at 103miles on the odo  (Read 6605 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 06:04:05 am
I got some flutters at high speeds, the cable was loose at the wheel end.  Tightened and working fine.  There is a tiny noise when riding and I think it might be the cable in the housing.  I need to take it apart for inspection and greasing.

Scott

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 06:21:00 am
Thanks Andy, was it the speedo or just the cable ?

Cheers  :)

Just the cable. 
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

rnewton75

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 07:21:20 am
My speedo cable fell out of the back of the speedo (behind the back of the headlight) at about 500 miles.  I was about 20 miles from home so I zip-tied the cable to the crash bar (everyone should always carry zip-ties, they make you smarter) and screwed it back in when I got home, easy fix.  After reading this, I will be checking the lube at the hub end because I've noticed about a 5mph needle shake sometimes at 60mph+. 

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 04:34:46 pm
I went for a 200 km ride yesterday to try out the new screen. On the way back the bike was travelling along at about 120kph (And doing it easy. I noticed that the speedo needle started fluctuating between 100 and 110. It had never done this before, I slowed down and it came back to 100 or so, I acelerated up to what I thought was the speed I had been doing, but the needle wouldn't go past 100. Whe I turnd off the main highway I went back to about 80kph but the needle continued to fluctuate. I'm suspecting the speedo cable is on the way out, the has just gone over the 3000 km mark by the way. Any thoughts from this esteemed group would be appreciated.

Cheers  :)
Just a hunch, but if the cable is wearing inside the sleeve, the way the cables are made, something might be catching in the sleeve or expanding enough from wear to cause the fluxuations, IF the ends of the sleeve are tightly screwed on.  In any event, it's worthwhile to keep a spare on hand... Like Brits carrying the ubiquitous umbrella--as long as you have one it probably won't rain.  The moment you don't, it will.  Murphy's Law corrollary #347C and how to foil it.. ;D
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.