Author Topic: Helmets, who needs em..  (Read 4918 times)

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 01:22:57 pm
Its obviously a riding school, look at the crash frames on the side of the bike.

The guys behind are waiting to "do what I do thing"

I can not imagine how badly maintained a bike needs to be to have such a simple yet catastrphic failure like that.

Again obviously a real mickey mouse company as the trainer don't need a helmet,---well he thought he did'nt.   I would take a bet that he doesnt think that way anymore.

Who was it that said "dorks always get in in the arse"   oh thats right --it was me!!
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 03:49:13 pm
Those side cages are standard on stunt bikes, they get dropped far too often.  The only way I can imagine the fork failing like that is metal fatigue after doing this 11ty billion times and who know how many drops.

But if you all are so insistent on people wearing helmets when stunting then I present my favorite YouTube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdmALSJ4Kjo

Scott

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 08:42:01 pm
Who needs helmets??? Anybody that rides a motorcycle.  ;D  In my 40+ years of riding motorcycles, I have broken more bones than I care to count, but the headbone is still basically intact.  ::) I would not coast a motorcycle the length of my driveway (about 75 feet) without having my bash hat/brain bucket securely buckled on. 8)
1972 Honda CB 450 Rufus, Murdered
1978 Triumph T-140 E, Sadly gone
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe Iron head, " Old Bill"
1971 Honda CB-100,"Kikuchiyo"-traded
O Day 20 Sailboat "Tempus Fugative"
1992 Mazda Miata "Lady Murisaki"250,00miles!
Too many Toys, what else is retirement for?

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 08:54:11 pm
My doctor who is a long time friend just left my room (I am NOT making this up). This past year he had a guy come into the ER dead whose bike just fell over. Think about what speed your head would have accelerated to between you sitting upright  and getting whipsawed into the ground. ;D
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: September 19, 2010, 02:49:24 pm
Whip sawed or whip lashed --A heavy helmet can break your neck.

But I have no choice I would get about 100yds before I was stopped by  Plod  so whats the point.

I see some pillions riding with the helmet under their arm!! now that is dumb.

We have hundreds of motorcycle taxis here so no one wants to use a smelly helmet which is your only choice.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 03:48:44 am
My doctor who is a long time friend just left my room (I am NOT making this up). This past year he had a guy come into the ER dead whose bike just fell over. Think about what speed your head would have accelerated to between you sitting upright  and getting whipsawed into the ground. ;D

Hey Kevin, are you okay?  What's up with this hospital stuff?  I hope all is well.

Helmets:  Acceleration of gravity is 9.8 meters per second every second (or 32 feet per sec every sec).  The vertical fall is the same whether you are moving horizontally or not.  Of course, falling while doing 60mph and then hitting your head on a tree or something is even worse!
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 02:20:37 pm
crash cups   my worst dirt accident (???) buried the front wheel, flipped over the handlebars,3/4 flip, crotch direct tree hit to the gonads.  ::)
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #22 on: September 24, 2010, 02:57:44 pm
dammnnnn....
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.