Author Topic: Not the man I thought I was  (Read 3202 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
on: September 07, 2010, 05:53:38 am
Front tire had a slow leak.  No problem, I've got a tube and I've changed tires before.  I've even demounted and mounted car tires by hand on occasion.  But after 30 minutes and a bent tire iron from the tool kit the AM26 refused to yield.  I swallowed my pride, changed the valve core, and pumped it up to pressure.  If it's low in the morning I'll take it to the dealer and let them wrestle with it.

Discretion is the better part of valor, but in this case I just have to admit I'm a sissy :P

Scott

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 06:06:21 am
Scotty, what will you do if your dealer has a long wait ?
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 09:40:30 am
Drop it in to your local tyre place. Go at lunchtime with cash.   ;)
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Vitalc

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 11:20:14 am
Gozilla

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 02:50:54 pm
  Sissy my butt!  I would not waste my time trying to pull a modern tire off by hand, unless I had to. Low profile roadriders? Steel bead ? Pinched tube? scratched rim? putting the rim out of true?  YOU ARE A GORILLA!!  :D  I've tried it to ::) For 20 or 30 bucks, It ain't worth it.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 03:05:46 pm
I changed the rear tire on my C5 last week, with the local bike shop being 150 miles away it's not hard to do by hand.  :D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 05:04:06 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 03:08:52 pm
Front tire had a slow leak.  No problem, I've got a tube and I've changed tires before.  I've even demounted and mounted car tires by hand on occasion.  But after 30 minutes and a bent tire iron from the tool kit the AM26 refused to yield.  I swallowed my pride, changed the valve core, and pumped it up to pressure.  If it's low in the morning I'll take it to the dealer and let them wrestle with it.

Discretion is the better part of valor, but in this case I just have to admit I'm a sissy :P

Scott

Have you tried this - http://www.thebullworker.com/         ;)
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 03:14:57 pm
Scott

Have you tried this - http://www.thebullworker.com/         ;)
Goo-aff, Goo-aff,   LOL!!!!!!!, Oh Geez too funny.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 04:20:07 pm
Yes, very funny and in the right sprit ;)

Long wait?  No, my dealer is cool.  Gave me a free oil filter and O-rings for riding to San Francisco and back.  He calls me hi gunea pig.  Plus it's raining today and I need to drop off parts at Ducati across the street.  And going to the dealer is better than being at work no matter what.  Oh, and the wheel's off the bike.  No matter where you go that speeds things up immensely.  The local tire shop will have a wait and 'put me on the list'.  if my dealer was really busy I'd just buy some decent tire irons from him if I was impatient.

Scott
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 04:26:17 pm by Ducati Scotty »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 05:26:54 am
The wheel is back with a new tube installed.  Pedro said even though he had all the right tools it's still a beast to change these tires because they are so stiff.  He even said it's easier to remove the whole tire and then put the tube in than to just pop one side off and slide it in.  It's so stiff you can't even fish the valve stem through with just one side off.  I feel like my ego is slightly less bruised   :D

I'm going to ditch the silly little tire irons and carry my cell phone and tow insurance card instead.  Even with the right wrenches to remove the wheel I'd still need something to prop the bike up with if I remove the front wheel.  I'm getting too old and lazy for that kind of silliness.

Scott

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 05:36:54 am
...  I'm getting too old and lazy for that kind of silliness.
Scott

No, you are just maturing!   :D
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.