Author Topic: EFI Silencer in nFieldGear catalog - questions  (Read 2884 times)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
on: September 06, 2010, 11:57:48 pm
I looked at the old posts of the EFI silencer.  Some quick questions:

• How much louder is it than the stock torpedo?
  • Is it easy to install?  Heatshield gone?  Headpipe stays?
  • How much lighter is it than stock?
  • Where is the power boost most noticeable?
  • Is it more susceptible to blueing?
  • Does it lose low end grunt?
  • Does the EFI computer reset itself for the new silencer?
  • What if I ride the C5 with the EFI silencer not on a closed course?

Thanks for any help!
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 12:52:26 am
    * How much louder is it than the stock torpedo?
A bit - but more of that good BIG single "tone .....

* Is it easy to install?  Heatshield gone?  Headpipe stays?
That's a trick question - some folks can change a crankshaft and eat a baloney sandwich at the same time - others can't change oil without stripiing something .....

* How much lighter is it than stock?
About a metric tonne, I think ...... !  ;D

* Where is the power boost most noticeable?
EVERYWHERE!

* Is it more susceptible to blueing?
No - It doesn't have the strangulation that the stock  pipe has ......

* Does it lose low end grunt?
Nope - See above .....

* Does the EFI computer reset itself for the new silencer?
Not a problem - the EFI processor has one of the W-I-D-E-S-T programmes I've ever seen!

* What if I ride the C5 with the EFI silencer not on a closed course?
You may be subject to a $25,000 fine and Federal Imprisonment ..... You'll be in there with all the loud-pipe Harley boys .......
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Vitalc

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 01:00:38 am
Hi Prof,

Too many questions... I swapped the original for an EMGO inverse cone silencer.
The original weighed 5.680 kg, the EMGO 1.280 kg  - divide by 454 for lbs. I can't imagine they come much lighter than the EMGO.

The computer seems OK with the EMGO, and there's no backfiring.

I bought it because the lid is screwed on, easy for repacking, and also because it costs 60$
I redid the insulation with a thick pack of "Moose" - it is still pretty loud though.
I'm not sure about the 'power boost'. I feel the bike runs pretty sweet at 70 mph in 6th or 7th - I mean top gear  :P
The bike is so hugely underpowered that I tried to find any extra tiny little disabled horse I could, to more or less keep up with traffic (Ok, ok, I exagerate   ::)).
I wouldn't call it "power boost", more like : "the horses may be a bit less anemic"  ;D - but I can't be positive.

I suggest you mount the open exhaust, and if you can't live with the noise, either put in a plug, or switch back to the original.
As for the law, if you plan to ride in Germany or switzerland or New Hampshire, that might be an issue, otherwise, I don't know

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 05:43:17 am
  Anybody know how they work with the up sweep adapter? Any interferance with anything on the C-5 ? Do the clamps come with them, if not what sizes are needed? Anybody have any pics of one on the C-5 , with and without the upsweep?  What time is it? Why did my cell phone go? Are you going to be home for dinner? Did you take the remote?Have the dogs been let out? When do you have to go to the dentist?
 Sorry, my fingers react when the wife walks in.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 03:29:30 pm
I just installed this pipe last week and have put a couple hundred miles on it. I came from an EMGO short megaphone. I noticed a loss in power, but I still think it is a little more than stock. The bike runs fine with it on. It looks good, but enfield does not supply a muffler clamp, so make sure you order one. The join is ugly as hell because of the stock clip thats welded on and still visible. Enflield should sell a cover plate for that joint. You cant reuse the old one.

Install is pretty easy. Just take off the heat shield, then undo the clamp and other supporting bolts reward, and pull it off. The new pipe will use the rear foot peg bolt, but you will have to bend the mounting plate - I'm finding no Enfield parts are direct bolt on! At least I didnt have to drill out the hole like I did on the Enfield branded megaphone (dont buy it, its junk! - wish I could get my money back)

Its a lot lighter than stock, heavier than the EMGO megaphone.

I wish it was louder. Is there a way to make it louder?

The ecu will tune itself to the new pipe; you dont have to do anything, at least in my experience you dont.

Its not loud enough to get stopped on my US roads. I'd consider this quiet as far as aftermarket pipes go. The EMGO megaphone was another story, its REALLY loud, like the loudest Harley type loud.. The EFI muffler sound is a little more puffy and rounded and louder than stock. Its a nice sound, not an exciting sound - more "English gentleman" than "cafe racer." I can also hear the engine ticks/sounds more now that the exhaust is quieter. The Megaphones I've had in the past were more exciting and interesting, but too loud to enjoy.

I'll probably leave mine on for a while, but its still not the pipe I'm looking for.. Maybe I'll try one of the other EMGO's next.

* Does the EFI computer reset itself for the new silencer?
Not a problem - the EFI processor has one of the W-I-D-E-S-T programmes I've ever seen!
Scooter -Id like to disagree. I put on a few pipes now and the only one that didnt give me running issues was the efi silencer.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 06:24:08 pm by Sub »