Author Topic: Sprocket change or Gozilla vs Maturin  (Read 5888 times)

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
on: September 06, 2010, 08:21:02 pm
Just got out of my garage after a 2 hours fight with the front sprocket. It won, I have to admit defeat on the first day.
The way to it was easy, although it takes some time to remove kickstart, footrest, electric cable and all the srews. But when I was through I saw a gigantic nut: a size 46 mm-nut, secured with a sheet. I called it Godzilla and after I organized a 46-nut I tried to move it by hand, later with a impact wrench and even later with an electric impact wrench.  >:( >:( >:(
When I think about people in India I usually picture someone with a brownish tan, a little smaller than myself. I really have to rethink that! The mechanic who´s job it is to fix the Godzillas must be 2m and 150 kg at least!
The monster didn´t move a single mm. Is there a trick? I´m just loading the electric wrench tio get full power, but it´s a riddle for me. I guess I oversee something. Anybody with similar experience?
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 08:32:07 pm
It's not a left hand thread is it?
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 10:05:52 pm
If there are no major rubber seals in the area a little heat from a torch and a few shapr whacks with a hammer will loosen many stuck nuts.  As mentioned, check which direction the threads run.

Scott

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 10:51:55 pm
If it's on the right side of the bike, it could very well be a left-hand thread.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 10:55:47 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Vitalc

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 11:11:48 pm
The manual doesn't mention anything special. Manual says M35 nut ?? Torque should be 80 Nm, which is pretty modest.
Gozilla stressed? nervous? cramped?   Oh dear... :(

I remember reading a few threads about changing FD sprockets, so some people must have managed to relax Gozilla in the past ??

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 12:28:10 am
No, it's not a left handed nut.
Did you fold the tab washer back? And leave the chain on?
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 12:37:25 am
What CJ said .... he's been there, done that ...... so have I - and it ain't THAT tight ....
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 01:38:05 am
Just got out of my garage after a 2 hours fight with the front sprocket. It won, I have to admit defeat on the first day.
The way to it was easy, although it takes some time to remove kickstart, footrest, electric cable and all the srews. But when I was through I saw a gigantic nut: a size 46 mm-nut, secured with a sheet. I called it Godzilla and after I organized a 46-nut I tried to move it by hand, later with a impact wrench and even later with an electric impact wrench.  >:( >:( >:(
When I think about people in India I usually picture someone with a brownish tan, a little smaller than myself. I really have to rethink that! The mechanic who´s job it is to fix the Godzillas must be 2m and 150 kg at least!
The monster didn´t move a single mm. Is there a trick? I´m just loading the electric wrench tio get full power, but it´s a riddle for me. I guess I oversee something. Anybody with similar experience?

There is a LOCK TAB washer behind the sprocket nut.  Use a flat screw driver to push the tab off the surface of the nut - i.e. UNLOCK it.  Then you will be able to turn the nut. 
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 01:43:58 am
Try this way - as shown in the picture
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 10:49:44 pm
Gozilla has lost! Finally!
It´s not a left hand threat, it´s clockwise as usual. The electric impact wrench failed - after all 135 Nm - and after I twisted the brake pedal holder trying to get torque on the long ratched I gave up, called the cavallary and put everything together again.
At my dealer´s the friendly and compassionate foreman first hammered the brake holder back again and THEN...finished off Godzilla with an air-pressure impact wrench with 600 Nm within 1 1/2 seconds. Hehe. It got what it deserved.
Sometimes, as he told me, due to temperature, threat´s distortion and bad luck its possible that the load necessary to move the big nut rises up from originally 150 Nm up to 500 Nm - what is certainly to much for anyone who isn´t trained in martial arts. And too much for brake pedals. But as I got  annoyed with the problem I lost the ability to see the situation in general - and that´s the point when the risk comes up to destroy something. I should have known better, pure luck I fucked up something that was easy to fix.
The result of this epic struggle: a correct gear ratio, comfortable to drive and well fitting to german speed limits. Suceeded at last!
2010 G5

Walter Röhrl

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 10:52:37 pm
Glad you got it!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 12:39:44 am
I've used 6' levers to remove rusted axle nuts on the back of a VW bug.  They make scary noises when they're that tight.  Congrats on getting it sorted.

Scott

Vitalc

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 02:38:06 am
Scotty,
how about your Gozilla ?  Got the better of it too?

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 03:48:54 am
I've used 6' levers to remove rusted axle nuts on the back of a VW bug.  They make scary noises when they're that tight.  Congrats on getting it sorted.

Scott
Yea man , I remember those days.Pipe wrench, cheeter pipe :D  Rusted floor boards, broken/ rusted  shock towers, rusted heat exchangers every year or two. 13 teenagers in it at one time. Man I miss my old Bugs. They were great cars, nice and simple.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 05:13:51 am
Gozilla has lost! Finally!
It´s not a left hand threat, it´s clockwise as usual. The electric impact wrench failed - after all 135 Nm - and after I twisted the brake pedal holder trying to get torque on the long ratched I gave up, called the cavallary and put everything together again.
At my dealer´s the friendly and compassionate foreman first hammered the brake holder back again and THEN...finished off Godzilla with an air-pressure impact wrench with 600 Nm within 1 1/2 seconds. Hehe. It got what it deserved.
Sometimes, as he told me, due to temperature, threat´s distortion and bad luck its possible that the load necessary to move the big nut rises up from originally 150 Nm up to 500 Nm - what is certainly to much for anyone who isn´t trained in martial arts. And too much for brake pedals.

The result of this epic struggle: a correct gear ratio, comfortable to drive and well fitting to german speed limits. Suceeded at last!

Good to hear that this struggle is over.  What size sprocket did you put in your bike ?  How is the ride ?
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 05:24:37 am
Royal Enfield Dealerships are provided with special tool (a wrench that looks exactly like your spark plugh wrench in shape, only its bigger). I recently had mine opened and it was pretty easy. However as your dealer said, sometimes these things load up more, as in the case of my brake fluid reservoir screws. One of them got stripped in the process, no matter what "trick" I tried on it. ;D

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 10:12:39 am
Good to hear that this struggle is over.  What size sprocket did you put in your bike ?  How is the ride ?

I changed to the Classic´s 18-tooth-sprocket. I wonder why it´s not standard in the G5, it´s so much better!
The ratio now fits very well to the german speed limit steps that are mostly 30/50/80/100 km/h. Acceleration generally has improved because the former dispensable 1st gear puts the bike forward now instead of only causing noise. Even with two on board you don´t need the clutch much. I din´t tested full throttle yet - always had a truck ahead ::) - maybe there´s a little plus in top speed.
A recommendation, but: beware of Gozilla!  ;D
2010 G5

Walter Röhrl

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 11:49:39 am
I changed to the Classic´s 18-tooth-sprocket. I wonder why it´s not standard in the G5, it´s so much better!

I wondered that myself. There doesn't seem to be a downside.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"