Author Topic: Auto de-compressor clack.  (Read 7973 times)

shappers

• Scooter
on: September 06, 2010, 07:13:22 pm
Hi y'all, an interesting thing happened on the way to a ride out yesterday.

As I banked over to make a right hand turn the clacking stopped.  As soon I was upright it started again, interesting I though. So I pulled up in a convenient pull in without stopping the engine, put it on the centre stand (still clacking) and tilted over to the right, the clacking stopped.  Hmmmm?

Still with it tilted over I stopped the engine counted to 5 slowly and restarted, and put the bike back upright.  The clacking didn't restart. Nor did it do it again for the rest of the day.

All this happened within a few yards from home.  When its happened before its usually a couple of miles down the road.

The nights are getting colder now so I expect the clacking to become a bit more frequent with colder starts.  I will try starting it with it tilted over to the right and see what happens.

The oil level is correct in the way this forum likes it.  I'm on the last fill up with 10W 40 semi-synthetic which will be changed in the next couple of hundred miles to 15W 50.  The bike has something over 2000  miles on it and the motor is smoothing out nicely.

I'll keep you posted, cheers, Shappers.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 07:18:02 pm
Strange. Are you saying you're getting that auto decompressor clack while the engine's running? Mine does it occasionally but only when starting up, if it doesn't fire straight away. The iridium spark plug, which pretty much guarantees instant starting hot or cold, has almost eliminated the problem. But clacking while running.... are you sure it's the auto decompressor?
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 07:35:37 pm
At what speed were you taking the turn?

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 07:49:30 pm
Gee - I think I've heard that noise before - was that a bike that got the gearbox upgraded?
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 10:02:12 pm
I've noticed a constant ticking while the engine is running since I got back from my trip, 1600 miles.  I was wearing ear plugs the whole trip so I wouldn't have noticed it.  I'm going to change the oil from 15w50 Maxima full synth and put in 10w40 Mobil 1 4T and see if it quiets.  Also, the original Bosch plug looks good but I need to check the gap and I'll try leaning it both ways while running to see what that does. 

Anyone have a youtube posting of what the decompressor clack sounds like?  Any home remedies?  What iridium plug did you put in?

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 11:26:15 pm
That ticking isn't the same as the auto decompressor clack, which is loud. It happens on mine only when starting sometimes. Never when running. It can't be confused with normal engine noise.
The Iridium plug is NGK BPR6EIX. This is same heat range as the original Bosch.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 01:08:45 am
Will, did you have to change the spark plug wire end?  Mine is for the smaller, threaded spark plug ends.  I think I have one of these plugs but it's the larger end and not the kind I can unscrew.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 01:57:23 am
Gee - I think I've heard that noise before - was that a bike that got the gearbox upgraded?
I got the gear upgrade on the C-5, no noise.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 09:11:51 am
Will, did you have to change the spark plug wire end?  Mine is for the smaller, threaded spark plug ends.  I think I have one of these plugs but it's the larger end and not the kind I can unscrew.

Scott

The NGK BPR6EIX is the type you can unscrew at the end, which you will need to do. That done it fits fine.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 09:23:37 am
And the standard advice is don't mess with the gap on the Iridium plug - they're easy to break that way apparently.But they're pre set to .7, right for RE.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 04:21:52 pm
Thanks guys.  I think I got the BPR6ES or something like it and the top is the large, non-unscrewable type so I was just wondering.

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 05:05:01 pm
The Iridium plug seemed as though it didn't unscrew, but it was just really tight. I had to assert my authority with wrench and pliers   ;)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 05:15:40 pm
I got the gear upgrade on the C-5, no noise.

YOU got the thrust washers installed on both sides of the fourth gear on the mainshaft ..... if the thrust washer is M.I.A. from the right side of the gear, it'll fall into the engagement dogs of the next gear and rattle when the bike is leaned to the right ....

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 05:58:21 pm
  YEA BABY!!!!!  See that, scooterbob had them magic hands on my motor. :D Wait, that did not come out right? ::)
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 06:01:59 pm
you heard it here first folks.......   :o  ;)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 06:38:30 pm
The Iridium plug seemed as though it didn't unscrew, but it was just really tight. I had to assert my authority with wrench and pliers   ;)

No this one and another that I had for the Ducati have large, brass ends.  I asserted my authority on the Ducati plug and snapped it off.  On the plus side, now I can tell the difference just by looking :)

Have to get the bike running and lean it both ways, see what noises are where.  Slow leak on the front so the wheel is off righ now.  I have had some false neutrals from 3-4 an 4-5 lately but it could be I just have a lazy foot.

Scott

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 11:45:40 pm
  YEA BABY!!!!!  See that, scooterbob had them magic hands on my motor. :D Wait, that did not come out right? ::)

I had my grubby paws on almost 200 of them things, and ....... knock wood - all have been quite good to date and most, in fact have been a little BETTER than when delivered after a trip through the "Skunk Werks" ...... ! I learned more about those powerplants than the India boys probably know ..... and I'm impressed with its brutal simplicity - and just plain sturdiness. I wouldn't run the guh-huh-huh-huh-huts out of the one that I have now if I didn't think it'd take it. It's the boys in India that made this little motor magic .... I just made a few of 'em a little better .... !  ;)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 11:53:57 pm
I got a peek inside mine when the upgrade was done, it's a very impressive motor, I suspect it's over built.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 02:21:55 am by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 02:09:58 am
O got a peek inside mine when the upgrade was done, it's a very impressive motor, I suspect it's over built.

The Finite Element Analysis of the raw bits shows that the little mill should be able to take a 60hp (!) beating all day and survive ..... THAT'S pretty overbuilt! Hahaha! Gotta love 'em!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 02:23:35 am
I'm on 7000 miles and I swear it is still getting better, I'm super happy with my little red bike.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 02:33:06 am by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 05:01:18 am
I'm on 8000 miles and I swear it is still getting better, I'm super happy with my little red bike.

With you Danny.  Wait till you hit 10,000 miles, it will be flying  :) 
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 05:33:03 pm
I rode to work and leaned it from side to side while it was running.  Little ticky-tick that doesn't care what direction you lean the bike.  I'll see if it gets quieter when I change the oil, it's due.

Scott

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 05:57:18 pm
YOU got the thrust washers installed on both sides of the fourth gear on the mainshaft ..... if the thrust washer is M.I.A. from the right side of the gear, it'll fall into the engagement dogs of the next gear and rattle when the bike is leaned to the right ....

I always wondered what the rattle was on all the C5's I have ridden so far when you take a deep right turn.

Could you please elaborate to what actually you did to eradicate the rattle.  M.I.A ? Domestic C5 never had the gear problem which the initial export bikes had so we never got anything in the gear box fixed.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #23 on: September 08, 2010, 06:34:09 pm
I always wondered what the rattle was on all the C5's I have ridden so far when you take a deep right turn.

Could you please elaborate to what actually you did to eradicate the rattle.  M.I.A ? Domestic C5 never had the gear problem which the initial export bikes had so we never got anything in the gear box fixed.

The rattle is not endemic to the bike. They are usually quite tight and rattle free. What I did was to put all the parts BACK that the Factory put in. IF the thrust washer is omitted during assembly - it'll rattle ..... also - if one of the front cylinder spigot bolts is used for the allen head bolt under the edge of the clutch basket, it'll bottom out in the case, stick up too far and rattle on the primary chain ...... when leaning to the right.

shappers

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 07:13:45 pm
Hi y'all, again
The clacking can continue while the engine is running for up to 1.5 miles. Most annoying.

Now on the first start of the day leaning the bike to the right definately prevents the clacking.

Starting the bike upright gets the clack.  Switching off and leaning it and restarting, no clack.

It doesn't need much of a lean so I'll live with it until it stops. 

I might chat to Watsonians and see what they have to say.

Cheers, Shappers.