Author Topic: First Oil Change  (Read 5593 times)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
on: September 06, 2010, 05:42:14 am
Royal Enfield Seattle (aka Ducati Seattle) doesn't have their RE supplies order yet, so they have no oil filters yet.  Darn.

Still, I had some Amsoil 20W50 motorcycle oil (JASO MA) in the garage so I changed out the oil at 300 miles.  I plan to get an oil filter and do the next change at 600 to 750 miles, long before the 2,000 miles the manual recommends.

I really liked how Amsoil helped my Buell Blast thumper AND Buell XB9S run cooler.  So I have no problems using it in the Bullet.

The drain plug I opened quite gingerly after hearing of stripped threads.  I used a torque wrench to see what it was set at but it released so quickly I couldn't get a reading.  So putting it back on I was very careful to not overdo it.  19mm plug.

I measured the oil to be a little less than 2 quarts, so that is what I put back in.

The oil screen suction filter wasn't very dirty and two magnetic oil plugs weren't that filled with iron filings.  My Buell XB9S had more stuff on its magnetic plug.  Oh, when I got the bike, the shop had changed the oil already, as recommended by CMW.

Below are some screen shots.  The split-screen shot shows the oil level after filling and the second shows it, after settling, following a 10 mile ride with the new oil.  I checked the air filter and found no oil contamination.  I'll check it again after a longer ride.

Anyway, I rode for 120 miles yesterday and today.  The motor is smoothing out as i am getting used to the handling.  It really is a fun motorcycle.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 11:03:41 pm by prof_stack »
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 08:24:38 pm
Must be nice to have a dealer you don't have to bring a shaving kit and change of underwear to go visit.   Someday I's sort of like to see what a UCE bike feels like.   (Just for educational purposes- to make me a more well-rounded person, and all... )
Run what ya brung

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 01:15:38 am
Good move on changing the oil even without the filter.  Any metal filings in there would likely come out with the oil or on the magnets.  My last change at around 1400 had lots of fine silver on the magnets.  I think this was the second or third change on the bike.

Scott

lachine c5 military

• Neophyte
Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 11:47:43 pm
I changed my oil following the manual on the amount of oil to add. when i rode it after, I had oil spewing oil of the oil filter box. Help!!!!
Royal Enfield Seattle (aka Ducati Seattle) doesn't have their RE supplies order yet, so they have no oil filters yet.  Darn.

Still, I had some Amsoil 20W50 motorcycle oil (JASO MA) in the garage so I changed out the oil at 300 miles.  I plan to get an oil filter and do the next change at 600 to 750 miles, long before the 2,000 miles the manual recommends.

I really liked how Amsoil helped my Buell Blast thumper AND Buell XB9S run cooler.  So I have no problems using it in the Bullet.

The drain plug I opened quite gingerly after hearing of stripped threads.  I used a torque wrench to see what it was set at but it released so quickly I couldn't get a reading.  So putting it back on I was very careful to not overdo it.  19mm plug.

I measured the oil to be a little less than 2 quarts, so that is what I put back in.

The oil screen suction filter wasn't very dirty and two magnetic oil plugs weren't that filled with iron filings.  My Buell XB9S had more stuff on its magnetic plug.  Oh, when I got the bike, the shop had changed the oil already, as recommended by CMW.

Below are some screen shots.  The split-screen shot shows the oil level after filling and the second shows it, after settling, following a 10 mile ride with the new oil.  I checked the air filter and found no oil contamination.  I'll check it again after a longer ride.

Anyway, I rode for 120 miles yesterday and today.  The motor is smoothing out as i am getting used to the handling.  It really is a fun motorcycle.
i

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 01:17:21 am
Dang!  For the 2 oil changes I've done I measured how much came out before I added the same amount back in.  Both times it has been less than 2 quarts. 

If need be, you can remove a little oil from the drain plug. 

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 06:25:01 am
The manual gives the total capacity, not the amount to add.  Some of the oil always gets left inside.  If you add total capacity you'll overfill.

There are two lines on the sight glass: one near the bottom and one about half way up.  The one about half way up is where you want it.  People who have filled to the top of the sight glass often get oil spewing into the air cleaner.

Once it's all back together put it on the center stand and slowly fill it back up to the mark about half way up.  Start the bike and let it run for a few minutes.  Stop the engine and let it settle a few minutes.  Then check the level again and top up to the mark if needed.

Scott

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 01:03:38 pm
Almost like the bubble on a level, the oil in the sight glass can be mis-read if the bike is not on the centerstand on level pavement.

saint45

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 10:11:48 pm
my sight glass shows nothing....there is oil as i changed it today. anybody heard of this? and yea, its on center stand and level pavement.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 10:54:25 pm
Often after the initial fill up to the mark and a little running it needs a bit more oil.  Top it up slowly, you should see the level start to rise in the sight glass.  Get it up to the middle mark, run again, check again, repeat if needed.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 11:58:10 pm
my sight glass shows nothing....there is oil as i changed it today. anybody heard of this? and yea, its on center stand and level pavement.
How much oil have you put in so far?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 01:34:36 am
Thanks G.  That's me, jumping to conclusions without asking the obvious.

Saint, sorry, forgot to ask that.  Also, did you see oil after filling and then you didn't?  Did you run the engine?  Is the 'engine' light lighting up when it's running?

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 01:45:19 am
 Hey, no prob scotty, I'm often guilty of not thinking of the obvious. "it can't be that easy"
I guess we've been burned to many times ;)
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 04:04:45 am
Must be nice to have a dealer you don't have to bring a shaving kit and change of underwear to go visit.   Someday I's sort of like to see what a UCE bike feels like.   (Just for educational purposes- to make me a more well-rounded person, and all... )

Don't do It !!   you will want one badly   8)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 04:09:38 am
Yeah, do it.  It'll change your world ;D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 05:58:17 am
Yep, as much as I wanted the AVL Electra-X (in blue), I really glad I waited for the UCE (and a dealer much closer to me).