Author Topic: Tribar 7" Conversion  (Read 8601 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 03:55:33 am
Ah!  I thought you were doing both the 7" conversion and the Tri-bar install.  Feel free to ignore most of what I said :)

Scott

The 5 3/4" headlight is a US only thing.  In order to meet US DOT specs your headlight must be adjustable.  So they sunk a 5 3/4" light with adjustment apparatus into the 7" original non-adjustable bezel.  The 7" is fine for the rest of the world but we're special.

There were one or two posts that I saw noting that after installing the 7" headlight it was not aligned properly, another few other notes of small wedges in the bezel to correct, but it seems to work just fine for most people.

Scott

G5 has very good headlight 55/60W bulb and throws plenty of light.  So I have no complaint about its brightness or its function.  However, 7" headlight is so beautiful and looks so good on RE that I wish US bikes had them as they sell in UK.  Correct me if I am wrong that none of these 7" conversion kits are DOT approved.  Is that the case and if any body has any traffic stops or registration issues  in US with 7" light ?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 03:57:44 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 05:47:52 am
Yes, the 7" headlight looks great and the 5 3/4" looks bad.  I'll do this mod when I get some cash.

So there are lots of things that are not DOT approved that people do to their bikes: loud exhaust systems, ECU mods that are no friend to the EPA, aftermarket turn signals and other lights that don't meet the size or placement specs, license plate mounts that are less than visible, the list goes on.

If you live in a state where you have to get your bike inspected they might notice some obvious things and the same applies if you get pulled over.  Super loud exhaust on a new bike is an obvious one, as are bad license plate mounts and lights that are missing, no mirrors.  Some inspectors or police may know a few more details: minimum/maximum license plate height, allowable dB from exhaust.  Ask either of them the minimum distance between turn signals for a new motorcycle and you're likely to get a blank stare.  Yearly inspections can be trouble, inspectors know what a stock exhaust looks like and what aftermarket looks like.

In general, if you're speeding or riding recklessly and get pulled over they may start looking at these things.  If your lights or exhaust are obviously way out of spec and you're in a crowded area you may get pulled over just for that.  In general they give you a ticket or a warning which you can often get out of if you correct the problem.  I've never heard of anyone getting a federal fine for anything like this.

I've heard of people getting pulled over for loud exhausts.  Anything else, again, if you're already pulled over and they're looking for more tickets to give you.

Back to the 7" light.  I don't know if any inspector or LEO would even know it needs to be adjustable or know by looking at it that it's not.  If it's misaligned and blinding people they'll notice.

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 09:19:21 am
The Adjure Tri Bar light is DOT approved. And, Singh, it gives WAY more light than the stock light.
I had no idea that U.S. bikes came with 5 3/4" lights. So do they have a different nacelle, or are they adapted somehow?

Look here::
www.atvconnection.com/Features/Product_reviews/adjureheadlight.cfm
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 09:46:54 am by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 02:59:49 pm
The Adjure Tri Bar light is DOT approved. And, Singh, it gives WAY more light than the stock light.
I had no idea that U.S. bikes came with 5 3/4" lights. So do they have a different nacelle, or are they adapted somehow?

Look here::
www.atvconnection.com/Features/Product_reviews/adjureheadlight.cfm

WillW:

G5 have 5-3/4" headlight in US.  It has very good reflectors.  It is the same nacelle, just has adapter.  Here is a picture.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 03:02:36 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 04:23:52 pm

Lots of the lights are approved, installing them in a non-adjustable manner is not.  I'm not worried.  Actually seeing is more important than the strictest letter of the law that  no one really knows.

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 04:56:02 pm
Clubman - Hithcocks don't have them. I got mine form the only UK supplier I could find - www.4HD.net. It's the Adjure TriBar with black dot. Don't get excited about the price shown - it doesn't include VAT or p&p. You actually pay £93.86!  It's expensive, but hey - it's for your bike, right?   :D

Singh - Thanks for the pic. All is now clear. Why do they fit those smaller lights to U.S. bikes....?   ???

Scott - yes I'd missed the point about adjustability. Mine seems fine as fitted, to my untutored eye....

Looks good though, don't it....  ;)

« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 05:01:04 pm by WillW »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #21 on: September 07, 2010, 06:41:58 pm
Looks beautiful.  And the non-adjustable 7" seems to suit the whole world just fine.  You know us Americans, gotta be special  ::)

Scott

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: September 07, 2010, 08:43:25 pm

Looks good though, don't it....  ;)

Looks very good indeed and with winter coming the superior spread of light will be welcome. Of course it's worth it for the one I love!  :D Which links nicely to observing - see your battery thread - that you owe it to yourself and your bike to buy a trickle charger! You don't need it on all the time or anything. Put the bike near a window and connect it up while you're in once a week for eight hours or so and the battery will be tip top.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: September 07, 2010, 09:01:05 pm
Thanks, but I had to laugh when you said "put the bike near a window". You'd laugh too if you saw my place. Not possible unless I either knock the garage wall down or uproot a seriously well buried gate post and take the hedge out - bike wont fit through the gap otherwise. That's how it is - run down old cowman's cottage up a path through a narrow gate. Garage outside gate. My little bit of heaven though.  :)

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: September 07, 2010, 09:15:40 pm
Get the picture and it does sound like heaven too. Anyway, I just bought the headlight, thanks very much for the info.  :)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: September 07, 2010, 09:21:09 pm
Excellent. Post a picture when it's on, I've not seen one on a Clubman, Clubman  ;)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: September 08, 2010, 04:56:12 am
Singh - Thanks for the pic. All is now clear. Why do they fit those smaller lights to U.S. bikes....?   ???
Scott - yes I'd missed the point about adjustability. Mine seems fine as fitted, to my untutored eye....

Looks good though, don't it....  ;)

It has that killer look of a Tiger - ready to pounce !  Awesome.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: September 08, 2010, 05:57:54 pm
singh, did you get that wonderfull letter in the mail, from our state, regarding inspections? ::)
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #28 on: September 08, 2010, 05:59:15 pm
Just keep the stock stuff on the shelf and install for inspections as needed.

Scott

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: September 13, 2010, 01:26:45 am
singh, did you get that wonderfull letter in the mail, from our state, regarding inspections? ::)

GHG:  Now that I read it, I think that we no longer have to go for inspection !!  But we still need to have bikes registered.  Then why remove registration decal from license plate, that reminds us when to renew registration ? What am I missing.  Any thoughts or is it being NJ !  
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 01:35:11 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk