Author Topic: How Soft is Soft  (Read 13236 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: September 10, 2010, 02:40:46 pm
Guy's, not to further confuse things. But my sercice manual clearly states 265 cc + 2.5 cc each leg. Not  + or -.
GHG - My astigmatism needs seeing eye dog.  My optometrist keeps sending me remineders to visit them for eye exam.  I looked again and you are right.  It is 265+2.5 cc each leg.  For our purposes ml is the same as cc - in terms of volume - and interchangeable.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: September 10, 2010, 02:43:52 pm
I dont know how much difference between the oil will make if they are of same grade.
I think what the difference may be, is that with motor oils propensity to airate, foam, and bubble.Fork oils do not. They have to allow room for release of that compressed gas from those bubbles, in a sealed chamber. In a hot climate, it may be worce? It's not an issue when motor oil is used in a motor, because of the crank vent.I know when I changed my stock oil it had light colored apearence, as if frothed.
 So when fork oil is used, a higher volume can be installed? Less likely to foam,and  build  pressure? The added benifits are maybe the need to check and replace your fork oil less often? Also maybe less likley to pop a fork seal? Around here, motor oil costs about 3-4 bucks a QT. Fork oil about 7-8 bucks a Pt. Now if I'm gonna go through all the effort of pulling that front end apart, I would spend the few extra bucks for the better product.
  If you use fork oil or motor oil, will it change the rotation of the earth, no. Both are probably just fine.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: September 10, 2010, 02:46:15 pm
GHG - My astigmatism needs seeing eye dog.  My optometrist keeps sending me remineders to visit them for eye exam.  I looked again and you are right.  It is 265+2.5 cc each leg.  For our purposes ml is the same as cc - in terms of volume - and interchangeable.
I have been delaying my appointments as well my brother, LOL. The older I get, the more I must squint :D

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #33 on: September 10, 2010, 04:02:50 pm
There wouldn't be any gases released from motor oil, frothing is just churning it a making air bubbles in what's already there.

I agree, go with real fork oil and use synthetic.  It behaves better as the cold weather comes.  Traditional oil makes  a fork very stiff as it gets colder, synthetic less so.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: September 10, 2010, 05:11:48 pm
There wouldn't be any gases released from motor oil, frothing is just churning it a making air bubbles in what's already there.

I agree, go with real fork oil and use synthetic.  It behaves better as the cold weather comes.  Traditional oil makes  a fork very stiff as it gets colder, synthetic less so.

Scott
Yea, I'm not sure scott, thats why I put the ?. there. But I do know that petrolium products will release vapors, especialy when heated. Also, those bubbles must be entering the oil from some sort of compressive force. And air and fluid will expand when heated. Think of a boiler or water heater, they have relief valves and expansion tanks. Now I know the fork assembly ain't no boiler, But the principle should be the same? Maybe thats why they make synthetic oils? Were only talking a few cc's here.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #35 on: September 10, 2010, 05:29:45 pm
All of that is valid but I wouldn't expect any huge differences in gases coming out between engine and fork oil.  And, a plunger with tiny holes being forced through oil is a great way to make froth and exactly what's inside our fork.  You can create bubbles in a fluid without off gassing.  Think ov cavitation on a boat propeller.

The reason to go with synthetic is that it behaves more linealy across different environmental temperatures.  With dino oil, it gets thick when cold and this makes the fork very stiff.  The damping effect of the oil goes up exponentially as temperature goes down.  This can make the fork so stiff it is unconfortable or even dangerous.

Synthetic oil still gets thicker when cold but not nearly as much as dino oil.  Dino oil behaves exponentially, synthetic behaves more closely to a linear increase.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: September 10, 2010, 05:51:23 pm
All of that is valid but I wouldn't expect any huge differences in gases coming out between engine and fork oil.  And, a plunger with tiny holes being forced through oil is a great way to make froth and exactly what's inside our fork.  You can create bubbles in a fluid without off gassing.  Think ov cavitation on a boat propeller.

The reason to go with synthetic is that it behaves more linealy across different environmental temperatures.  With dino oil, it gets thick when cold and this makes the fork very stiff.  The damping effect of the oil goes up exponentially as temperature goes down.  This can make the fork so stiff it is unconfortable or even dangerous.

Synthetic oil still gets thicker when cold but not nearly as much as dino oil.  Dino oil behaves exponentially, synthetic behaves more closely to a linear increase.

Scott
Yup, makes goods sence.