Author Topic: C5: Refused Shipment  (Read 25773 times)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #60 on: September 13, 2010, 02:19:05 am
Quite shocked to hear this! Watsonian still advertise the Deluxe on their UK website. It's so much better looking than the standard G5. Makes me wonder if the G5 will disappear too? I sure hope not. We need a base model for all the custom versions that are out there and the Classic is way too distictive to be that. It's also a great bike in its own right.

What exactly makes the C-5 too restrictive to customize? I think it's a pretty versatile platform to work with. I think it would very easy to turn a C-5 into a cafe racer. shorter wheel base, lighter frame I believe, same power plant.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

holodeck

• Bulleteer
Reply #61 on: September 13, 2010, 04:38:12 am
Kevin,
What is the ratio of C-5 to G-5 sold in te US ?

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #62 on: September 13, 2010, 08:56:42 am
What exactly makes the C-5 too restrictive to customize? I think it's a pretty versatile platform to work with. I think it would very easy to turn a C-5 into a cafe racer. shorter wheel base, lighter frame I believe, same power plant.

I think the side panels, batery box, mudguards and fork covers belong too distinctly to one era to do anything else with. Of course you could build a cafe racer from the frame and engine alone but that will make the conversion even more expensive than it already is and you will still end up with a bike without a kickstart.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #63 on: September 13, 2010, 05:27:05 pm
I think the side panels, batery box, mudguards and fork covers belong too distinctly to one era to do anything else with. Of course you could build a cafe racer from the frame and engine alone but that will make the conversion even more expensive than it already is and you will still end up with a bike without a kickstart.
Clubman, I agree with you that there may be a few more items to change as compared to the standard G-5. Tool box's, fork shrouds to gaiters.Battery box can stay. Remove tool box. Mudguards are changed or removed on yours. No? As far as the kick start is concerned, I do like them, and would want one. But it's redundent, and not needed. It's just extra wieght. Unless there blanking off the starter on your clubman, and running a kicker only? As far as cost is concerned, loosing the alloy tank would be a big savings, although it's beutifull, a steel tank could be used in it's place. You may still end up with a ligher bike? It is very do-able on the C-5.

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #64 on: September 13, 2010, 09:40:08 pm
No, mudguards weren't changed on mine, just standard black G5 ones so cheaper than chrome! Kickstart has earned its keep on mine, believe me. The sprag clutch went on my starter motor so it was kick start only for a week. See other solenoid issues on this board as well. Once bitten, twice shy as far as I'm concerned - I don't think RE have proved that they can safely remove the kickstart as yet.

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
Reply #65 on: September 13, 2010, 10:39:27 pm
I own two RE's and would not have one without a kick start. I only use the kickstart as I know all the problems and expense associated with the electric start repairs. Anyway its so easy to start with the kickstart!
I have to agree that stopping production of the G5 would be a mistake. A cafe racer with little wheels (C5)would look weird particularly as the current G5 based specials look so fantastic.
2007 Bullet, 1999 Lightning, 2010 Honda VFR1200f, 2019 Interceptor, 2007 Kwaka GPX250R

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #66 on: September 13, 2010, 10:43:58 pm
Clubman, I agree with you that there may be a few more items to change as compared to the standard G-5. Tool box's, fork shrouds to gaiters.Battery box can stay. Remove tool box. Mudguards are changed or removed on yours. No? As far as the kick start is concerned, I do like them, and would want one. But it's redundent, and not needed. It's just extra wieght. Unless there blanking off the starter on your clubman, and running a kicker only? As far as cost is concerned, loosing the alloy tank would be a big savings, although it's beutifull, a steel tank could be used in it's place. You may still end up with a ligher bike? It is very do-able on the C-5.

Oh, DEAR! Don't get THIS guy started! I've SEEN his work before ..... You don't tell him "No ..." or "You can't do that!" - Hahahaha! 'Cuz I think he CAN! He's got a metal magma-fier or some such .... and he can USE it!  ;)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #67 on: September 13, 2010, 10:44:36 pm
I've got a C5 but must agree that the G5 makes a nicer base for a cafe bike.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #68 on: September 14, 2010, 12:50:47 am
Oh, DEAR! Don't get THIS guy started! I've SEEN his work before ..... You don't tell him "No ..." or "You can't do that!" - Hahahaha! 'Cuz I think he CAN! He's got a metal magma-fier or some such .... and he can USE it!  ;)
I've got a C5 but must agree that the G5 makes a nicer base for a cafe bike.

Scott
You's two Guy's are just tring to get me all fired up, Ain't ya?......................Maybe perhaps we could get him to fall into that trap, Huh?..........UMMMMMMMM?????
 Well I tell you two smart alec's something, I may PERHAPS  be up to the challenge ,If you's two's are. And another little cafe prodject I'm work'in on MAY just have to wait.
 I must think on this a bit :-\ A little healthy Yank vs Brit friendly competition, might be fun?............ LIT-TLE wheels Huh?  UMMMMMMMMMMM? Is that all you got?

Clubman my friend, would you kindly list the changes made to your bike? I'll give you the front fender, although it looks a little different then a stock G-5.What  was the cost of your bike? In US dollers, please.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #69 on: September 14, 2010, 12:57:06 am
Dude, it's 'youz' with a 'z'.  I live on the west coast now but I know Jersey.  If you don't spell it that way no one outside the tri-state area will get the proper pronunciation ;)

I think you could make the C5 into a nice cafe bike but I think you'd need to cut off less and change less on a G5.  Also, and maybe this is just me, the speedo face plates say everything about the character of the bike.  The C5 says classic 50's beauty bike, the G5 says edgy Brit performance bike.  It's always the little things.

Scott

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #70 on: September 14, 2010, 01:02:48 am
You's two Guy's are just tring to get me all fired up, Ain't ya?......................Maybe perhaps we could get him to fall into that trap, Huh?..........UMMMMMMMM?????
 Well I tell you two smart alec's something, I may PERHAPS  be up to the challenge ,If you's two's are. And another little cafe prodject I'm work'in on MAY just have to wait.
 I must think on this a bit :-\ A little healthy Yank vs Brit friendly competition, might be fun?............ LIT-TLE wheels Huh?  UMMMMMMMMMMM? Is that all you got?

Clubman my friend, would you kindly list the changes made to your bike? I'll give you the front fender, although it looks a little different then a stock G-5.What  was the cost of your bike? In US dollers, please.

You are GOING to make me cut up a perfectly good wrecked C5 aren't you .......  ::)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #71 on: September 14, 2010, 01:36:07 am
Dude, it's 'youz' with a 'z'.  I live on the west coast now but I know Jersey.  If you don't spell it that way no one outside the tri-state area will get the proper pronunciation ;)

I think you could make the C5 into a nice cafe bike but I think you'd need to cut off less and change less on a G5.  Also, and maybe this is just me, the speedo face plates say everything about the character of the bike.  The C5 says classic 50's beauty bike, the G5 says edgy Brit performance bike.  It's always the little things.

Scott
You are GOING to make me cut up a perfectly good wrecked C5 aren't you .......  ::)
Quite right Scotty, "youz" would be more apropos. I lost myself there for a moment. Gauges you say? Edgy? A minor detail. Yes you may need to cut off less on a G-5, but what fun would that be? Anyone can buy a cafe racer.
 Yes scooterbob, I think we may have to let some sparks fly. May I enqire about that 2 up seat for the C-5? Would the pan be made of steel? ;) 

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #72 on: September 14, 2010, 09:00:03 am

First paragrpah: go for it!  :)

Second para: Cost at an exchange rate of 1.50 was $7,500 when I bought it but has now gone up to $8,250. Changes made are alloy tank, ace bars, rearsets, seat unit with removeable cover at back and Goldie exhaust system. The exhaust system can be readily bought for $150 so is certainly not expensive. All the bits are good quality and the tank in particular screams cost. Of course we must also factor in labour set up cost. On the other hand the standard parts are retained by the importer to sell on as spares and the cat exhaust must cost a bit. (Probably so much that no-one is buying them over aftermarket stuff.  ;D )

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #73 on: September 14, 2010, 11:38:45 am
GHG - The bum stop seat that I have lying around somewhere is a glass-fibre one of old - HOWEVER - I'm getting an idea with a stock Iron Barrel seat pan and the metal magma maker ..... I need to tune up my welder anyway ....

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #74 on: September 14, 2010, 02:35:04 pm
First paragrpah: go for it!  :)

Second para: Cost at an exchange rate of 1.50 was $7,500 when I bought it but has now gone up to $8,250. Changes made are alloy tank, ace bars, rearsets, seat unit with removeable cover at back and Goldie exhaust system. The exhaust system can be readily bought for $150 so is certainly not expensive. All the bits are good quality and the tank in particular screams cost. Of course we must also factor in labour set up cost. On the other hand the standard parts are retained by the importer to sell on as spares and the cat exhaust must cost a bit. (Probably so much that no-one is buying them over aftermarket stuff.  ;D )
GHG - The bum stop seat that I have lying around somewhere is a glass-fibre one of old - HOWEVER - I'm getting an idea with a stock Iron Barrel seat pan and the metal magma maker ..... I need to tune up my welder anyway ....
Thanks clubman, usefull info there.
Watch out!  The master is wipping out the mother of all magic metal magmatizer......things?
Great idea bob!  IMHO, we don't need no stink'in rear fender, do we? Hides that nice back wheel, ya know? Maybe one of your nice lay down licence plate holders, mounted off the back of the cowl with a bracket? Sorry, you the boss, I'm the hoss ::)