Author Topic: C5: Refused Shipment  (Read 25774 times)

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: September 12, 2010, 12:45:13 am
     Thanks for the kudos, Kevin! I would like to mention that on all the new bikes the wiring connections for the fuel injection and ignition circuits should be unplugged, coated in di-electric grease, and reinstalled. Other connections are checked also. Cables are adjusted. Clutch adjustment is checked. Lights are checked. Oil and brake fluid is topped off. Go around the wheels and check spoke tension and adjust as necessary. The chain should be lubed. Attention to detail really pays off in the long run.

3rdgear

• Scooter
Reply #46 on: September 12, 2010, 02:05:23 am
Made the pilgrimage the Portland RE Dealer.  To my surprise they had in stock several C5's and G5's in several color options.  Met Justin the owner and Pedro (Mechanic), both are super nice guys that you can tell are proud RE dealers.  They offered to let me test ride both models and I took them up on the offer.

I have to say both models are great.  I was abit concerned about the C5 speed wobble issue so I of course I had to see what all the fuss is about.  To my surprise, no wobble at 50, 55, 60 or 65.  I took my hand of the bars at 60 and still no wobble (kids do not try this at home).  Having owned 14 bikes in my 25 year riding history (I'm 41), I must say that both the C5 and G5 are fine machines and anyone with second thoughts should test ride.

Before I end this tale, I have to mention that what first interested me in the new RE UCE bikes was a picture I came across of a G5 Deluxe.  When I went to purchase one at my local shop, the dealer told me that they were not available in the US.

When I pulled into the parking lot of the Portland shop there she was glimmering in the sun light, a 2010 G5 Deluxe.  This was the first one I had seen in person and it was love at first sight.  So after my test rides, I asked if it was for sale.  Justin said he wanted to hold on to this one but would order another.  So I put a deposit down and should have my dream bike in the next few weeks.

P.S. I want to thank Ducati Scotty for referring me to this shop.  When I mentioned Scott reffed me, Justin mentioned that he's a great guy and a wealth of motorcycle knowledge.  May be some day I will get to ride with the legend but one dream at a time...

« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 02:41:33 am by 3rdgear »

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #47 on: September 12, 2010, 02:10:07 am
Excellent choice!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: September 12, 2010, 02:12:52 am
 Congradulations, that is a beutifull bike !
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: September 12, 2010, 02:57:37 am
Good for you, Br. Gear!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #50 on: September 12, 2010, 03:24:01 am
Actually Justin ordered your bike today. Think I should sit on the order for a while? Maybe see if I time it just right so you get the last Deluxe in inventory - or not?

I did get a notice today from the factory that they are temporarily discontinuing production of the Deluxes. .Good thing we got what we did when we did. We are the only country that orders them so I suppose sooner or later they may decide it's not worth it. The chrome tanks are really a lot of work. My first RE started life as a Black Deluxe. You will love the bike and they are becoming increasingly hard to get. (It is the original ES prototype.)

If any of your are looking for one and sitting on the fence better get off while the gettin is good. Time to go to your dealer.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 03:26:44 am by Kevin Mahoney »
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #51 on: September 12, 2010, 03:45:17 am
Actually Justin ordered your bike today. Think I should sit on the order for a while? Maybe see if I time it just right so you get the last Deluxe in inventory - or not?  ...

Kevin, you are SUCH a tease! 

I'll admit that the photo of the G5 Deluxe on the CMW page reminds me of the first ad I saw for the '78 Yamaha SR500, which I bought back then.  They were photographed at the same angle.  But the Deluxe did not make it to the new Seattle dealer.

The first two models they sold (in 2 days) have been replaced by the same two (C5 black and C5 Military). 

CONGRAT's 3rdGEAR!  You'll have a blast on it!!!
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #52 on: September 12, 2010, 03:23:22 pm
Congrats 3rdgear!  I know Justin and Pedro were really anxious waiting for the deluxe.  Ok, me too.  I need to sneak down there at lunch Tuesday and take a peek at it.  They get emotionally attached to the bikes and it's hard to let them go.  I bought the first C5 they got in.  I was picking it up the next day and Pedro had planned to ride it home but was outranked since Justin had to say goodbye to it.  Passionate motorcyclists.

Oh, and I'm no legend.  In polite society I'm barely presentable ;)

Scott
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 03:56:37 pm by Ducati Scotty »

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #53 on: September 12, 2010, 04:17:31 pm
I did get a notice today from the factory that they are temporarily discontinuing production of the Deluxes. .Good thing we got what we did when we did. We are the only country that orders them so I suppose sooner or later they may decide it's not worth it. The chrome tanks are really a lot of work. My first RE started life as a Black Deluxe. You will love the bike and they are becoming increasingly hard to get. (It is the original ES prototype.)

If any of your are looking for one and sitting on the fence better get off while the gettin is good. Time to go to your dealer.
I ordered my G-5 Deluxe 2 months ago from Matt Lokso, my fine Hubbard OH dealer. Just got it Last Saturday.  But boy, given this news, I'm glad I did.  It's a Beautiful bike and though I haven't had it over 40mph yet -- breakin, y' know -- it runs like a dream.  Harley riders even wave to me, wouldja believe?  Glad I threw my hat in the ring for one when I did!  :D  Congrats to all who have one or have one ordered!  Hope Chennai doesn't quit making them till' everybody who wants one has one... Incidentally, Matt said just the chrome on the deluxe is worth way more than the additional $100 over the standard -- if you were to try to get the tank and fenders chromed around here [Matt's also a member of the Ohio Valley BSA Owners club and every year they redo a Beeser and raffle it at the fall rally, so he's real familiar with chroming prices.  Anyway, I think it's one sharp looking and riding motorcycle!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 04:25:07 pm by meilaushi »
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: September 12, 2010, 04:30:48 pm
Oh, and I'm no legend.  In police society I'm barely presentable ;)

Scott

Fixed your spelling for ya.   
(I'm picky about these thinfs..."

I'm so happy;  I recently picked up a chrome Deluxe tank for $50! 
Hahahahahahaha
Run what ya brung

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #55 on: September 12, 2010, 05:34:08 pm
Yeah, I thought the additional $100 for the deluxe was a bargain at twice the price.  There's nothing quite like the vintage look of a chromed tank.  The Ducat Monster Chromo was a sweet looking recent design.

Scott

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #56 on: September 12, 2010, 08:56:52 pm

Quite shocked to hear this! Watsonian still advertise the Deluxe on their UK website. It's so much better looking than the standard G5. Makes me wonder if the G5 will disappear too? I sure hope not. We need a base model for all the custom versions that are out there and the Classic is way too distictive to be that. It's also a great bike in its own right.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #57 on: September 12, 2010, 09:40:24 pm
Oddly enough in Europe the E5 and C5 are what sell. The E5 is the Electra with it's special paint and UCE engines. I brought in a few and they sold very slowly. I like the E5 but I am concerned about what kind of market there is here.

We don't think they will discontinue the G5, at least there have not been any rumblings to that effect
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #58 on: September 12, 2010, 10:36:47 pm
We don't think they will discontinue the G5, at least there have not been any rumblings to that effect
If REM makes that sad choise, I will be lost as a potential future custumer.
Not interested in a C5 , wheels too little ,no kick starter, and a loser seat (  solo ,cuz yur too ugly to get a girl to ride)...no thanks.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #59 on: September 12, 2010, 11:29:39 pm
We are the only country that orders them so I suppose sooner or later they may decide it's not worth it.

Hi Kevin!
In Germany the Deluxes are sold aswell, and guess what: the price is the same like the standard E5 without Chrome. I couldn´t believe it! Obviously there was no reason to order a standard modell.
When REM wishes to earn money with motorcycles, i´d consider it smart if they would calculate prices like anyone else does: after adding their costs. They don´t want to sell Deluxes because the costs are to high? They should mark it up instead of dropping it. Do I miss something or is that odd?
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl