Author Topic: C5: Refused Shipment  (Read 25762 times)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: September 10, 2010, 05:02:17 am
Good luck and let us know! ;)
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #31 on: September 10, 2010, 05:11:11 am
There was a military and a teal one when I was there on Tuesday.  G5s too.

Scott

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #32 on: September 10, 2010, 01:13:45 pm
What did you get??
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #33 on: September 10, 2010, 03:58:56 pm
What did you get??

It's not Saturday yet silly!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: September 10, 2010, 04:13:15 pm
Hell, I can't wait for good news! :D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: September 10, 2010, 05:58:26 pm
 Man, I'm thinking he goes Military?  Gentlemen's Bet Anyone? ::) And no cheater's from anyone who knows him. >:(

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #36 on: September 10, 2010, 06:06:35 pm
There mighta been a red one there too, can't remember.

Scratch that,  No red but there was a black one in the showroom.  I was only remembering what was out in the lot.

Scott
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 06:14:46 pm by Ducati Scotty »

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: September 10, 2010, 11:10:44 pm
There mighta been a red one there too, can't remember.

Scratch that,  No red but there was a black one in the showroom.  I was only remembering what was out in the lot.

Scott

Scotty, now you know that ain't no fair! >:(  I would have bet on on black if I had know that !!! I'm stick"in. ::)

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #38 on: September 11, 2010, 01:20:05 pm
I don't begrudge one penny I spent on dealer prep, I've got a hell of a good bike and a hell of a good dealer out of the deal. :D
Amen to that, Bro!  My dealer, Matt, charges for setup and both bikes I've gotten from him are winners.  Jerry, the chief technical Guru, always takes a new bike out for a 30-40 mile run after setup to begin breakin properly and to check everything out and make sure all is in top notch shape.  I figure that setup work is worth every penny!  A great dealer there in Hubbard, Ohio!  I'm glad they're there! :-*
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #39 on: September 11, 2010, 04:32:55 pm
Jerry, the chief technical Guru, always takes a new bike out for a 30-40 mile run after setup to begin breakin properly and to check everything out and make sure all is in top notch shape.

"Jerry!  Are you slacking off and riding again while you're supposed to be working?!?"

"No Boss!  I was checking the setup and starting the break in process properly."

I'd do that too if I could call it work and get paid for it  ;D

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: September 11, 2010, 05:50:09 pm
"Jerry!  Are you slacking off and riding again while you're supposed to be working?!?"

"No Boss!  I was checking the setup and starting the break in process properly."

I'd do that too if I could call it work and get paid for it  ;D

Scott
:D :D  Yea, right.  ::)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: September 11, 2010, 07:56:06 pm
OK, Now it's Saturday,what did you get??
Iron Butt Association

stickyfox

• Scooter
Reply #42 on: September 11, 2010, 08:22:04 pm
I don't know how REs are shipped, but I used to work at a kawasaki dealer, and those bikes took a heck of a lot of work to set up. They came in a crate about half the size of the assembled bike. We charged nothing for this service; it's part of being a dealer. I wouldn't suspect setup to be that much of an unexpected chore.

I know I'm behind the power curve.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #43 on: September 11, 2010, 09:26:36 pm
There is assembly and then there is set-up. The bikes come in a hug wooden crate. The front wheel and fender need to be assembled, one turn signal bolted on and a battery installed. You can teach a monkey to do that.

The setup is the real key to a good bike. When we were selling iron barrels which could be problematic given the adjustments etc that needed to be made, you could tell the assemblers from the set-up people.

We had dealers whose customers had trouble all the time and dealers whose customers NEVER had trouble. (Vince is one of the latter).

Moving on to the UCE bikes there is nothing to adjust except the chain. But a good (or even decent) dealer will touch every last nut, screw and bolt on the bike to make sure they are tight, no pinched wires etc. They will check wheel alignment, tyre pressure, detail the bike etc. They will then ride the bike. I don't mean around the block but several miles at least. After the ride if anything shows up take care of it and then deliver it. The owner should never be the test pilot.  A good dealer can say with total confidence that they know the bike is correct for the customer

We find that the entire key to a happy customer lies with a dealer who sets the bike up properly, gives the owner good instruction etc.

A dealer who is actually doing a "prep" job and is not just an assembler should be paid for his work. You will thank him every time you get on the bike.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 09:28:57 pm by Kevin Mahoney »
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #44 on: September 12, 2010, 12:06:10 am
This was true of all the bikes that I sent out the door as a dealer. I sold a few Iron Barrel bikes - and save for one that was "possessed  ::)" I never got one back for any disasters or any big complaints. I had ONE guy threaten to sue me - but I screwed a spark plug into his bike and started it in one swat - that ended that without a word said ... poor guy.

The UCE bikes STILL take a bit of set up to be RIGHT - as Kevin said - they are easy enough to slap the wheel on and take the plastic off of. The fellows in the Factory are under enormous pressure to produce bikes about now - they are, according to a recent article, about NINE MONTHS behind on some models. Dealers know this - and GOOD ones know that THEY are the last in line for QC issues. A good dealer will treat EVERY BIKE like it was his very own (personal responsibility!) and YOU will never see it until it's right. That's worth a few dollars - and  LOT of peace of mind in MY book.
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!