Author Topic: C5: Refused Shipment  (Read 25770 times)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 06:48:51 pm
     This is why dealers charge for set up. It is part and parcel of selling a complex piece of machinery. The dealer was shirking his duty. I spend 5 to 6 hours on every bike setting it up. My customers don't have this issue, or even most of the issues talked about on this forum.
Absolutley !!  A dealer is an intricle part of the system. Thats why we need more.And not ones who want to just "Carry the Brand". If you are not into what you do,well you can see the results. A dearlership ain't a job you just show up for. A means to make a quick buck. You should be passionate, or don't carry it.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010, 06:51:42 pm
Yup, running up to 65 would go against the slow ans steady break in but just once on a warm engine isn't likely to destroy anything.  I was more interested in knowing how the bike felt overall at that speed.  I didn't want a bike that felt strained at 60mph but I was looking for the instability too.  Lucky me, it was the demo bike and already had 1000 miles on it but I would have done this regardless.

Scott

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #17 on: September 05, 2010, 06:53:11 pm
Where can I get a list of the C5 accessories that are available through a dealer? ???
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 07:40:14 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: September 05, 2010, 07:02:29 pm
I didn't know dealers charged for set-up.   I just assumed they did the minimum in order to meet a certain price point.

Sooo- wouldn't running a new bike up to 65mph sort of kill the slow and steady break-in thing?    Are these UCE's that different?
My symptoms showed up at 55 mph. You never saw listed a set up fee? Those bikes come in ,I believe in crates, not fully assembled. Somebody has to put them together? Ain't nothing free. I guess if we keeping looking for fault, were gonna find it. But I don't really think thats the point. We all love this brand, Otherwise we would not be putting all this time into it. This should all be about making it better.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 07:26:51 pm
Maybe they want to sell Sun-L's instead ........
And scooterbob, what the hell is a Sun-L  anyway? :D

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010, 09:24:25 pm
I didn't know dealers charged for set-up.   I just assumed they did the minimum in order to meet a certain price point.

Sooo- wouldn't running a new bike up to 65mph sort of kill the slow and steady break-in thing?    Are these UCE's that different?

There ARE dealers out there that just do the minimum .... rip the plastic off the seats and slap the front wheel on. I believe THESE are the dealers that we are talking about that are NOT doing the WHOLE job ......

And yeah - the UCE is THAT different. The Crash Test Dummy has seen more abuse right out of the box than four of them put together ...... it's just fine at present - and shows no signs of the fact that it's lived on the rev limiter about half the time it's been RUNNING .....
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #21 on: September 05, 2010, 09:28:46 pm
And scooterbob, what the hell is a Sun-L  anyway? :D

One of the cheapest, crappiest, Tupperware brand, buy three to get one good one, scooters out there. They are cheeeeeeeep though. The retail nut on them is about $499 - and they require no set up at all ..... what's the use?

So - If anyone out there WITH a Sun-L is taken aback by this description because you've had no trouble at all with YOUR bike ..... I apologise - but take it immediately to Sun-L for a full refund because I've never seen one work that way .......  ::)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #22 on: September 05, 2010, 09:41:29 pm
Dear ThrdGear,
I hope you have gotten you deposit back, if not get it and RUN to the bank. There is something very wrong with this story.

The "still coming thourgh Customs" story is total Brave Sierra (BS) to quote my favorite hillbilly Scooter Bob. We have had Black C5's available for immediate shipping for quite a while although I have heard this story from customers in a certain part of the country before.  We also have a dealer somewhere in the US who still owes me for his last bike and when told that he needs to pay for any further  bikes up front, cancled an order for a Black C5. Just a coincidence I guess,

We have also not had a dealer refuse a shipment, strange.

I guess I am OK though since the check for the first bike has been in the mail for over three weeks. Damn postal service! It seems like that particular post office branch always has the same problem. I just can't figure it out.

You know there is also a dealer who couldn’t take care of customer’s problem so we moved the bike to another dealer who could, how odd, wonder if that fellow is pissed off? It is also very odd that the second dealer is right on top of it.

If someone is discounting a new bike $1,000 and not asking for prep I can assure you that they are losing cold hard cash money on that particular bike, in fact a lot of cash. I guess they'll make it up in volume though. I don't know what people think, but there is not that much money in one for a dealer.

I would NEVER buy a bike, any bike, from a dealer who didn't have one to show me and let me ride. How comitted is that fellow?

The good news is that in the part of the country where I think you live there are several first class dealers who I would buy a bike from. If you give Scooter Bob a call at 800-201-7472 we can refer you to a couple. (I am on an extensive road trip visiting dealers.)

While I am on that subject if you buy a bike on price alone you are a fool and you know what they say about a fool and his money. (Not referring specifically to you, but rather to the concept). It has been discussed endlessly on this board, but how is a dealer who is discounting going to stay open, especially in this economy? Given the economic conditions it is unlikely at best. Also when something does come up,
 who is going to give you the best treatment, the guy who made a profit on the bike and wants and needs you as a customer or the guy who either lost money or made almost nothing? The rule is that any RE dealer has to repair any RE under warranty that comes to them, but…………. A fellow can sit in the back of the shop for a long time……

« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 09:51:57 pm by Kevin Mahoney »
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #23 on: September 05, 2010, 09:49:16 pm
We GAVE a Sunl away and the customer was pissed if that tells you anything.
(I normally don't tolerate bashing another product but they are out of business now,)

I have let this thread go on, but today I reached my limit. I have also NEVER bashed a dealer, but a fellow can only take so much BS.

The TOS say that if you have a complaint it does not belong here but rather with someone who can actually do something like us or your dealer. I can also assure you any dealer that has a problem or complaint gets immediate 911 service from us. Vince can chime in if he wants to,
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #24 on: September 05, 2010, 09:50:27 pm
I don't begrudge one penny I spent on dealer prep, I've got a hell of a good bike and a hell of a good dealer out of the deal. :D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: September 05, 2010, 10:31:42 pm
If it makes anyone feel any better, I recommend RE's to people. 
I've enjoyed this thread because it helps me understand some things.  I don't think anyone is bashing the brand or the motorcycles.   

I imagine when you're on the front lines like Mr Mahoney and S, Bub, it might be possible to lose the perspective of the "man on the street".  From talks I have,  The Royal Enfield name is still dragged through the mud.  I have a feeling it;s going to take more than one or two good magazine reviews to get over that completely.  That's why it took me so long to buy one- and I felt like I was stepping off a cliff at the time.

At any rate- no specific dealers or names were bashed.  I feel like continued HONEST discussion can only do the whole family good.  Continued ministrations and hands-on sessions like this can only help.   

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Run what ya brung

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: September 05, 2010, 10:46:15 pm
If it makes anyone feel any better, I recommend RE's to people. 
I've enjoyed this thread because it helps me understand some things.  I don't think anyone is bashing the brand or the motorcycles.   

I imagine when you're on the front lines like Mr Mahoney and S, Bub, it might be possible to lose the perspective of the "man on the street".  From talks I have,  The Royal Enfield name is still dragged through the mud.  I have a feeling it;s going to take more than one or two good magazine reviews to get over that completely.  That's why it took me so long to buy one- and I felt like I was stepping off a cliff at the time.

At any rate- no specific dealers or names were bashed.  I feel like continued HONEST discussion can only do the whole family good.  Continued ministrations and hands-on sessions like this can only help.   

Correct me if I'm wrong.

HEAR, HEAR,!!!!   ;)

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #27 on: September 06, 2010, 12:19:54 am
I thought Sun-L, Tank, Roketa, Xianguiaghlddfsjoer (whaterver, zhang-zwuah), were the "buy two so you have parts" scooters.  You see them on ebay for 5-700 dollars with free shipping.
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: September 06, 2010, 01:20:23 am

The TOS say that if you have a complaint it does not belong here but rather with someone who can actually do something like us or your dealer. I can also assure you any dealer that has a problem or complaint gets immediate 911 service from us. Vince can chime in if he wants to,
    Kevin and his crew have NEVER blown off a customer. Unlike every other brand I have been with, the folks at the distributor are deeply involved with their customers. If a problem is not resolved at the dealer level (this is the first step for a customer) then call CMW directly. They will take you seriously and work towards a resolution.

3rdgear

• Scooter
Reply #29 on: September 10, 2010, 04:44:23 am
Just wanted to let the group know that I have not given up on the dream.  In fact, the more I read the more I want one.  Classic styling aside, I want a thinking mans bike, you know like the old days.

So what's next?  this Saturday I will be heading up to the dealer in Portland with a fist full of dollars.  Yes, I will test drive the bike first.  Thanks to all of you, I am more prepared than ever.

Take care!