Author Topic: C5: Refused Shipment  (Read 25760 times)

3rdgear

• Scooter
on: September 04, 2010, 05:14:57 pm
Well it's been several weeks since I posted that I put a deposit on a Black 2010 C5.  Last I had heard, the bike was in customs. Yesterday, I called the dealer for an update only to find out that he refused shipment.  In fact, he has informed headquarters that he refuses to sell any C5's until the unexplained wobble issues are resolved.  So, if I want a C5 it's going to be from a different source or I go with a G5 if I want local support.

Bummer!

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 05:55:51 pm
Sounds like some weird pissing match  is going on behind the sences.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 06:04:05 pm
Where are you located?
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 06:18:28 pm
I'd find another dealer and get the C5.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 12:50:39 am
strange happenings.
Oh Magoo you done it again

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 01:45:49 am
I'd find another dealer and get the C5.
 Me to. I think we all did alot of work here to help resolve that. I think it's been shown here, that when the bike is properly set up, it's fine. I've  also, with a good friend spent the past week testing and fine tunening things after we found the issue with my bike. And am still at it. Just really going over everthing in the chassis. I gotta tell ya, I was scepticle when i started this. But the more I look, the more I see the design on this bike is pretty good.
 3rdgear, I suggest you have your dealer go through all my threads on stability, with all the modifications I did, in a an attempt to correct the stability issue. which really had no effect. And then have him look at Bradey's thread and see what caused the problem. And what we did to correct it.I'm an honest guy, and I call it like I see it. No I don't work for CMW, they don't know me ,other then contact through this community.
I set out to correct the condition on my bike, and it was found and resolved. I can tell you on my bike in it's present condition , I have had it cruising at 75mph-80mph, cruising, not get up there and back off, with no ill effects other then the discomfort and buffeting of  wind .
Dan. 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 02:57:53 am by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 02:04:24 am
Well it's been several weeks since I posted that I put a deposit on a Black 2010 C5.  Last I had heard, the bike was in customs. Yesterday, I called the dealer for an update only to find out that he refused shipment.  In fact, he has informed headquarters that he refuses to sell any C5's until the unexplained wobble issues are resolved.  So, if I want a C5 it's going to be from a different source or I go with a G5 if I want local support.

Bummer!

This sounds like TOTAL bullsh!t to me ...... CMW needs to have a little chat with that dealer. Maybe they want to sell Sun-L's instead ........  >:( It seems that the dealers who take the time to actually set one up don't have any problems at all with the bikes .... Hmmmmmm .........
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 11:55:14 am
I can see the dealers point (sorry);   he has to spend -what- a day? making corrections to the FACTORY set-up in order to make the bike roadworthy?  So he takes all this time and gets nothing for it.  He could have been making money on a repair or something, but instead he has to do the factory's job.   ?   
If he does get any remuneration, it's in the form of parts coupons- but everyone orders parts direct from the Nfield store. 
The life of a dealer ain't all glamor and bright lights...

What am I missing?
Run what ya brung

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 04:11:25 pm
 Don't be sorry UncleErnie, It's a fair point. But I think we have seen the 2nd year improvement in the rear fender and stay design.Ya, my fender was clearly made wrong at the factory last year. There's guys on this forum who got there bikes around the same time as me, who are not having a problem. I don't know how the bikes are delivered to the dealer. And to what extent the dealer has to set the bikes up. But I would think they would give it a good going over. A test ride perhaps?
 What would this problem have cost the dealer?  A little aggrevation over calling in for a new fender?  And a Phone call to Mr. gasehousegorilla saying I'm sorry, but your bike is gonna be delayed,cause my guy who does a good job at set up, found something. You know, those good dealer mechanic's that take the time and effort to get things right. Like adjusting those front fender stays so your shrouds  are not scratched to hell. Maybe there's just some new dealers out there with not a lot of experience with these bike's? If there good, they will adjust to this different brand there selling and take the time to get things right in the beginning. You know, do a little reserch, get into this brand your selling. listen to the factory reps.Most probably are.
  As far a parts are concerned? Well I think thats just a fact of life now a days.  For any brand to a greater or lesser extent. Like it or not, and I don't. More and more people are getting there parts online, I hate waiting a week or two to get a part I need. Until there's a dealer in every area, what are you gonna do?  Order it from the dealer, who will order it from the supplier and then it is shipped to you. I deal with that with Honda, and it Blows!! I try to order from the people who actually stock what the sell, then i get it in a few days. Again, the dealers are gonna have to adjust.
 With a  good effort by both the factory and the dealers , issues like this should never happen.
Dan.

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 04:42:01 pm
Actually if the dealer honestly feels that RE is sending over bikes with a design flaw, or improperly assembled then I applaud his refusing delivery. If he tweaks the bike as per some have done on this forum, and the buyer has an accident, he is in for a heck of a liability lawsuit.
I was considering a C5, but have read too much that sways me away from that.
Here's a novel idea: Instead of jumping on the dealer, why doesnt RE just get it right at the factory.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 05:22:19 pm
I can see the dealers point (sorry);   he has to spend -what- a day? making corrections to the FACTORY set-up in order to make the bike roadworthy?  So he takes all this time and gets nothing for it.  He could have been making money on a repair or something, but instead he has to do the factory's job.   ?   
If he does get any remuneration, it's in the form of parts coupons- but everyone orders parts direct from the Nfield store. 

What am I missing?
     This is why dealers charge for set up. It is part and parcel of selling a complex piece of machinery. The dealer was shirking his duty. I spend 5 to 6 hours on every bike setting it up. My customers don't have this issue, or even most of the issues talked about on this forum.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 05:32:29 pm
Actually if the dealer honestly feels that RE is sending over bikes with a design flaw, or improperly assembled then I applaud his refusing delivery. If he tweaks the bike as per some have done on this forum, and the buyer has an accident, he is in for a heck of a liability lawsuit.
I was considering a C5, but have read too much that sways me away from that.
Here's a novel idea: Instead of jumping on the dealer, why doesnt RE just get it right at the factory.
I don't think were jumping on the dealer. And you know, your probably right about 3rdgears dealer, maybe he's just being thorough. Then Good , I was wrong. But i was stateing things from my perspective. My dealer was the only one around. He also had the best price around. He waived shipping and set up fee. maybe to move bikes? Well I guess you get what you pay for.My bike took longer to get then what he said, fine he's just trying to please. When I picked it up. It looked rough, but you know what. I saved a grand. I figured, big deal, I'll clean it up, do a little adjusting, Ya know.
He's not a dealer anymore, why? I don't know for sure. Any dealer who found what we did, would have to tweek nothing, he would have to call in for a new fender.To be fair, I did what I did because it is MY bike. And I have that stubbern Idea, probably to my disadvantage, that I can do it better.So whats the moral of the story,check with your dealer, he may know more then you. In my case, i did not get that feeling. But don't condem the bike because I had a bad rear fender.
Dan.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 09:28:32 pm by gashousegorilla »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 05:41:12 pm
There is a stability problem with a small number of the C5s.  Since there are so many that do not have it I think it's a matter of set up and not inherent to the design.  Also, with what is going on right here we are providing valuable feedback to the dealers, importer CMW, and the manufacturer.  I think this will be a faded memory very soon.

All that said, do what I did: get on the bike you want to buy and take it to 65mph and see if it's acceptable.  Mine wasn't as rock solid as my Ducati Monster but I dind't expect it to be and it wasn't unmanageable.   Bought the bike and it's fine.  I just did a 1600 round trip from Portland to San Francisco and back with no problems.

Also, if you want a bike and the dealer doesn't want to carry it you're not likely to get good service.  Find a dealer that loves the bike as much as you do.  My dealer and his top mechanic literally went out and hugged the REs for several weeks when they first got them.  (Probably still do.)  I get great service.

Ok, I admit it, I've hugged the bike once or twice myself. :)

Scott

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 06:09:27 pm

What am I missing?

Dealers generally charge for the set-up and prep on the bikes. The GOOD dealers go the extra mile and make sure that the bikes are RIGHT before they are offered for sale - the general public would / should NEVER be exposed to one that isn't. As far as the dealer being reimbursed for his time and trouble - the warranty for the Royal Enfield bikes pays better than any I've ever seen - and I've seem more than a few. As far as the parts credit goes - OEM parts for the new bikes are only available through the dealer - and most of the popular C5 accessories are the same way - so there is no competition there.

Bottom line - if someone gets a C5 that hasn't been set up properly or ridden at speed to confirm that set-up - the DEALER is laying down on the job ..... period.
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 06:39:54 pm
I didn't know dealers charged for set-up.   I just assumed they did the minimum in order to meet a certain price point.

Sooo- wouldn't running a new bike up to 65mph sort of kill the slow and steady break-in thing?    Are these UCE's that different?
Run what ya brung