Author Topic: Oil leak on first ride?  (Read 6355 times)

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 09:52:53 pm
3rd Gear,

the first pic of your bike looks like extra chain lube dripping from the front cog.
It happened with every new bike and may not be an issue.

the second pic definitely looks like an oil leak, something you must take up with the dealer. perhaps a new nut with a better rubber seal would do the trick.

these minor niggles are part of the eccentricity of owning a Royal Enfield.

+1.

I had the black gunk too. In India they dont use a chain spray, but a tub of grease and they smear it on the chain. This then leaves huge globs of it on the chain and where the chain is tightest it slings off. This goo then ends up under the engine cover (your first picture). I guess you could say this is normal - dont worry about it, and expect to clean that crap off for the next 1500 miles. :)

BTW, if you also see a piece of gasket sticking out, this is also normal. Apparently the same gasket is used for another bike (maybe the g5?!) and the c5 only uses part of the gasket, so they install it, then tear off the excess. I freaked out on my first bike that I received because of the oil leak (pic 1) and a sizable (2") length of engine gasket sticking out. Logic would say that the gasket was crushed and thats why its leaking - its all in the same area. But its not the case at all. My dealer is new so he didnt know about this issue.

I now know a bit more, and probably shouldn't have refused pickup of the first bike. My second bike was identical down there, and after 1000 miles I definitely dont have any oil leaks, just some chain goop that gets heated and then seeps down occasionally. Also, its pretty obvious its not oil - it would be much lighter in color like your second pic.

I didnt have the problem in your second picture, but I'd just snug it up a little and see if it goes away. If that doesnt work, I'd request a new seal and screw.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 09:58:14 pm
BTW, if you also see a piece of gasket sticking out, this is also normal. Apparently the same gasket is used for another bike (maybe the g5?!) and the c5 only uses part of the gasket, so they install it, then tear off the excess.

Saw the same thing and was puzzled but figured teh same thing.  I tore it off and moved on.  It the piece hanging out was important for sealing there would be more immediate and apparent problems :)

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 10:27:02 pm
The G5 also has this bit of spare gasket.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

3rdgear

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 02:36:04 am
Hit the goo with some engine degreaser and wiped off the oil weeping from the bolt holes.  Put 100 miles on her since my original post and no oil or goo to speak of.  My only other complaint about this bike is that I can't wipe the smile off my face when I ride it.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 03:01:36 am
Should have warned you, the smile is permanent.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 07:18:42 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association