Author Topic: Rough idle/stalling...  (Read 16358 times)

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
on: September 04, 2010, 03:13:59 am
I've read most (many? All?)  new c5's have a lumpy idle and are prone to stalling, but I'd like to know.... when does it go away?

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 03:16:05 am
I've never had a problem like that with mine.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 03:19:21 am by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

TheFatMan

• Scooter
  • The Fat Man's home on the lake
Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 03:53:35 am
Mine was kind of hard to keep lit when cold, but only for the first few dozen miles.  The idle has gotten progressively smoother as time has gone on.  I'm still under a thousand miles and it just keeps smoothing out.  I have a friend who is a harley guy and he drove mine two days after I bought it, just to check it out.  He got off and said "vibrates a bit" and I said "year, like your electra doesn't!".  He rode mine again last weekend and commented how much smoother it felt, asked if I had changed anything.  I told him the only thing I changed was the slack on the throttle cable.  There really is a big difference in both smoothness and idle as time and miles go by, but most was in the first hundred miles.
TFM

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 05:18:40 am
I've read most (many? All?)  new c5's have a lumpy idle and are prone to stalling, but I'd like to know.... when does it go away?

Your bike should not stall so frequently that it puts you in some uncomfortable or dangerous situation on the road.  I do not know how many miles you have on your C5 (guess that is what you have).  These bike do get better generally speaking.  However, you may try the following as well -

When you start your bike, do not run immediately.  Instead wait for 30-50 seconds  after starting your bike and then go.  A better plug might help.  Also check your idle setting.  Here is a video on how to set idle on UCE RE G5.  I guess C5 also has same set up.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w51XKoubABI
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 07:18:40 pm
My G5 was idling significantly faster after a couple of thousand miles. A very slight turn of the brass screw got it right. Also the Iridium plug has smoothed out any slight unevenness when idling - and significantly improved starting at all temperatures.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 05:13:40 pm
Mine idles finr when dead cold, then a little low and can stall a few minutes into riding, then smother and higher once it gets warmed up.  I've also notice the idle (when warm) get smoother and a little higher after a few thousand miles.  As mentioned, if you're unduly worried or inconvenienced something may be wrong, get it checked.

Scott

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 04:36:26 pm
Welp, my dealer finally (3 months) got in the EFI pipe so I installed it last week. Guess what, all my rough running problems are pretty much gone. I was getting stalling idles, mid corner hiccups, rough running.. It seems to have all gone away. I can hit the starter button now and she will keep purring till I take off, which I could never do before. Also my idle seems to have dropped a bit...pop....pop....pop.

I surmise that the computer cant handle (basically) wide open exhausts, so I guess contrary to what others have stated about the flexibility of the oem EFI computer, I think its fairly tight in its tolerances and allowable changes. The bike ran, but pretty poorly and it felt very unrefined.

The bad part... I did notice a fairly large reduction in power with the EFI silencer, so I guess its a tradeoff there. I'm in the search for a pipe somewhere in between the EFI and the megaphone - I need more character and sound than the EFI, but more back-pressure than the megaphone. Maybe there is some way to mod the megaphone.. making the exit diameter smaller perhaps?!

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 04:44:49 pm
You shouldn't have any running problems with the aftermarket exhausts for the UCE bike. Mine runs great with the Goldie exhaust - it's a straight through pipe. Many here have fitted after market pipes with no problems. Was yours specifically for the UCE, or just some generic open pipe? Not sure why it should make a difference, but perhaps it does. They are advertised as designed specifically for the UCE after all.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 04:54:21 pm
I've tried four different mufflers, no problems with any of them.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 06:17:31 pm
Will, I've run the stock, RE Megaphone, EMGO megaphone, and the RE EFI.  Both of the megaphones (one from the Enfield catalog) ran the same... rough. I really doubt the upswept is wide open. I've heard it in person and its too quiet to be open.

What exhausts have you guys used?

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 06:56:32 pm
  Maybe it's an air leak around the rubber boot on the intake side. Or gasket.Or airbox. Have you checked them?  Maybe spritz some carb cleaner around the connections? Let the motor cycle, and see if there's a change in the Idle?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 06:57:37 pm
I have the Goldstar style exhaust from Watsonian Squire. It's sold as suitable for the EFI bikes and is certainly a straight through pipe - double skin with some sort of baffle material between the inner and outer. It's LOUD when you wind it up! They advertise it as "not for road use", yet they supply the Clubman with it on.  :-\
The performance boost was immediately noticeable, and I'd be very unwilling to return to the stock exhaust for that reason, even though I could do with a bit less volume!
I wonder how the short Watsonian "sports" exhaust sounds. I wanted more bass, not necessarily more noise...!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 07:07:26 pm
  Maybe it's an air leak around the rubber boot on the intake side. Or gasket.Or airbox. Have you checked them?  Maybe spritz some carb cleaner around the connections? Let the motor cycle, and see if there's a change in the Idle?

If you're looking for vacuum leaks an unlit propane torch can be handy.  Move it slowly with the vavle open.  If the idle goes up it's sucking in propane where you've got the torch.  Of course do this outside ;)

Scott

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 08:40:06 pm
Me too looking to fit a Goldstar type silencer.
Is there any difference in quality, between the WS one and the Hichcock, or are they the same animal.

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 09:22:07 pm
I wonder how the short Watsonian "sports" exhaust sounds. I wanted more bass, not necessarily more noise...!

Haven't heard it but my dealer told me he discourages people from buying it and points them to the Goldie cos the sports one is louder!