Author Topic: TIRE PRESSURES AND OIL LEVEL ON 2010 CLASSIC  (Read 2416 times)

smeg

• Scooter
on: September 02, 2010, 03:45:52 pm
I am a new owner who has just put 5,000 + kms on it. Although it handles just fine except for really leaning it hard over, so have to question the low 18 psi on the front. I have a '58 500 single BSA that gives a similar pressure but the tires in those days were a lot harder and I bumped the pressures up about 5 psi. with the modern tires, but the RE comes with modern tires - all suggestions welcome.

My next question may seem strange but there we go. On my second oil change I seem to have put in a little too much oil (but less than 3 lts) as it does not show a level in the window after running it, a short ride of a few miles to settle it down it seemed fine and tilting the bike a little to the left it then shows, but too high. Before I drain some out has anyone done the same and ran it with no problems? I do not want to overpressurize it but at the same time a little more oil is only extra cooling and lube.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 03:54:06 pm
I run 27psi front and 29 rear on my C5, 18 is too low. Check the oil through the sight glass with the bike sitting level on the center stand.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

smeg

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 05:42:15 pm
Thanks for the info on the tires.
That is my checking the level on the centre stand after the oil is warm, my question is will the little extra cause any problems; in some models it is more critical than others.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 09:26:15 pm
Personally, I don't use less than 30 psi in front and at least that in back (but usually a pound or 2 more).  It improves handling immeasurably.   I truely believe the manual has a mis-print there.

Unless you have WAY too much oil in there, the excess will probably just blow out.
Run what ya brung

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 01:51:13 am
I run 27psi front and 29 rear on my C5, 18 is too low. Check the oil through the sight glass with the bike sitting level on the center stand.

I'm finding that 22 in the front and about 24 in the rear with the stock Avon's works "frame scrapin' GOOD" on the bike. The tire design is really good for having a HUGE contact patch at that pressure and the slip angle is quite predictable. It has the added bonus of having the mass below the center of the axles, so if you unload the suspension whist dragging all the parts off the bottom, it'll pop right back up! That C5 is a crazy handler!  ;)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 02:17:30 am
I know what you mean, I love the handling of my C5. It carves up these twisty Ozark mountain roads ;D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 03:10:53 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

smeg

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 03:09:20 pm
Thanks for the info guys on the tires we all seem to think the 18 front is too low. I guess it is time to test for personal preference, I have 25 in mine now and a 40 mile run last night and it was much lighter and responsive.
Now the oil: I stopped to look the bike over at around 20 miles after checking my mirrors for any smoke of which there was none. I put it on the centre stand to find oil dripping down off the frame. It was out of the air flilter box and on opening it there must have been an egg cup full of oil in there (from the case vent tube) which fell out. After cleaning up  and letting it cool down I rode the 20 miles back home at 50/55 mph stopped once and it seemed dry and on arrival there was no more. The level now is right at the top of the sight glass (just) so I guess that if you can see the level at all, even though it is above the high and low marks it will not vent it out.
I thought you might like the feed back for future reference.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 11:40:43 pm
Oil in the breather? That is interesting, Totally new engine design, but still retains traits of the Original. I thought those problems did not exist with the new "Unick" construction engine. ;)
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 03:51:01 am
Oil in the breather? That is interesting, Totally new engine design, but still retains traits of the Original. I thought those problems did not exist with the new "Unick" construction engine. ;)EDIT, Sorry , that would be "Eunuch Construction' (Damn spellcheck.)
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 04:10:02 am
The British don't make computers because they can't figure out how to make them leak oil.
Seems like I read somewhere that an airbox full of oil is a registered Royal Enfield Trademark. They used to be calle Royal Oilfields.
Run what ya brung

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 04:42:34 am
Oil in the breather? That is interesting, Totally new engine design, but still retains traits of the Original. I thought those problems did not exist with the new "Unick" construction engine. ;)

Well - BMW has been building motorcycles since the 1920'S and they haven't figured out how to keep one from smoking like a freight train when you start it up on the sidestand ......  ::)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 01:46:25 pm
Adding a little too much oil will cause that in just about any engine.  ;)
Iron Butt Association

Bigmoe

• Neophyte
Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 05:49:35 pm
It's taken me 10 pages worth of back-posts but finally I can post something I know about.  ;D

I've got a 2010 500cc 'Classic' and the tyre pressures on mine are 25f & 35r.

Weird you say that the manual recommends those figures. I'm in India and the manual here clearly recommends 20f/30r (solo). And 22f/32r (with pillion).

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 06:09:32 pm
It's taken me 10 pages worth of back-posts but finally I can post something I know about.  ;D

I've got a 2010 500cc 'Classic' and the tyre pressures on mine are 25f & 35r.

Weird you say that the manual recommends those figures. I'm in India and the manual here clearly recommends 20f/30r (solo). And 22f/32r (with pillion).

What brand/make of tires come on a bike made fore the India market? Maybe they're different from the export market which might explain the different figures.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

Bigmoe

• Neophyte
Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 11:26:05 am
"MRF NYLOGRIP ZAPPERS"

I believe they're standard kit on all new Enfields over here.