Author Topic: Drain plug thread stripped. Any ideas?  (Read 12848 times)

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 08:51:21 pm
     Greg, I must disagree with you. Yes there are oversize self tapping plugs. They do work, BUT... The thread pitch is more coarse, therefore the torque application will be different. I have had customers literally rip the case out, or crack the case,  in an effort to compress the drain bolt gasket enough to not leak. In this failure, the case will have to be dis-assembled for welding, or replaced.
     This being said, most people will have no issue. If you, however, are one of the lucky 1 per-centers... The insert I use is stronger than the aluminum case. The only issue I have had  is an occasional one will screw out. It is easy to insert another.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 09:04:41 pm
    Greg, I must disagree with you. Yes there are oversize self tapping plugs. They do work, BUT... The thread pitch is more coarse, therefore the torque application will be different. I have had customers literally rip the case out, or crack the case,  in an effort to compress the drain bolt gasket enough to not leak. In this failure, the case will have to be dis-assembled for welding, or replaced.
     This being said, most people will have no issue. If you, however, are one of the lucky 1 per-centers... The insert I use is stronger than the aluminum case. The only issue I have had  is an occasional one will screw out. It is easy to insert another.

I suggest using a Dorman product or one of the "GOOD" ones - not the "universal" ones from Auto Zone. The Dorman ones are engineered to retain the SAME thread pitch as OEM to take advantage of the remaining treads in the hole for a straight lead-in - and to retain the OEM torque value. There are literally a hundred parts numbers available from them for about ANY application. I agree that the insert IS stronger - BUT - if it needed to be THAT strong, the boys in India would have made it that way! Besides, you chances of getting the insert straight, standing on your head, with a wobbly tap is about one percent - and expensive ..... you KNOW my boys here all be on the budget! Hahaha!  ;D
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 09:39:12 pm
Hmmm....  an internet search yields little to nothing available in UK. I'll have a phone and a drive around tomorrow to see what comes up. I'm pretty sure I'm NOT going to be arsing around with drills and such under my bike, so if I can't find a self tapping replacement, and if the dealer wont fix it under warranty, it's going to be the JB Weld option, and I'll fix a magnet to the plate on the other drain hole. One drain hole is plenty for me.
ScooterBob - if you happen to know which Dorman product is the right one, would you be good enough to let me know? You might just save me from the "Don't JB Weld it!" camp.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 11:38:43 pm
Sorry to hear that, Will. I would talk to your dealer before doing anything yourself. It may well be covered by the warranty - I certainly think it should be but that's not quite the same thing.  ;)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 11:44:51 pm
Will - Good news and mediocre news ..... The GOOD news is that I'm ON IT! That drain plug is the same thread as a common sparking plug - 14mm X1.25 pitch - and I'm looking hard for a replacement that we can ALL take advantage of. The mediocre news is that since it's a common thread repair size, the oversize plugs for that are quite difficult to come by, HOWEVER ....... Spark plug repair thread insers are LEGION - and screwing one onto your drain plug with the GREEN Loc-tite on the OUTSIDE of it and cramming it in there IS a viable alternative as these are usually cheap and self tapping. The OTHER alternative that I've found so far is a Honda plug that is 14mm X1.40 pitch that's available in the first oversize that would be good if you've blown ALL the threads off the case where the drain plug goes. The pitch is slightly coarser than the OEM RE - but if you don't have any at all ........  ::)

I'm still on it, though - and if I find a viable replacement, I'll make certain that it's posted here - and probably available through N-Field Gear. For GOODNESS SAKES don't glomp that crankcase up with JB Weld! ......

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #20 on: September 01, 2010, 11:46:57 pm
Sorry to hear that, Will. I would talk to your dealer before doing anything yourself. It may well be covered by the warranty - I certainly think it should be but that's not quite the same thing.  ;)

Typically that would NOT be a warranty repair - the manufacturer cannot control what happens to that after it leaves the dealership. But the GOOD news is - it doesn't have to be a ridiculously complicated affair ...... 

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: September 02, 2010, 12:32:29 am
Thanks Bob. Knowing the thread and pitch size gives me something to work with, so I'll have another look online for an insert. It'd be good if I could find something to cram in there without drilling etc - I really don't want to go that route. I DO want to ride my bike however, and soon, so screwing the plug back in with a bit of JB Weld on it doesn't seem entirely out of the question as an alternative. Never quite saw the point of TWO drain holes anyway..... ???

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: September 02, 2010, 12:48:33 am
Yep there's plenty of spark plug thread repair kits available. And it seems there's no drilling required - just recut the thread with the supplied tool and cram in the coil. I do have some thread left, so ought to be able to keep it lined up true. All I have to do is figure out a way to tip the bike over without any damage...... :o
BUT if you can find an oversize plug ready to screw straight in - better still. I'm still looking this end but not having any luck......

Otherwise, this looks like the thing I need:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HeliCoil-Sav-A-Thread-Spark-Plug-Port-Repair-Kit-M14-/160473805003?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 12:51:22 am by WillW »

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #23 on: September 02, 2010, 01:41:16 am
  If you have some treads left on your drain plug, you might try using Permetec Aviation Form-A-Gasket, Sealant Liqid. Item # 80019.

2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: September 02, 2010, 03:08:09 am
Mine was warranty because it happened before I ever took possession of the bike, that means during manufacture , set up, or repair because of an oil leak,  or just overfilling by a dealer, it was comped if not warrantied.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #25 on: September 02, 2010, 04:16:19 am
All I have to do is figure out a way to tip the bike over without any damage...... :o

Why?  Do you need the room to work or are you looking to save the oil?  If you need the room find a nice soft bush or even a nice piece of lawn and have a friend help you lay it down slowly.  If you're trying to save the oil, forget it.  2 qts of oil is cheaper than whatever you'd damage leaning it over.

And put some grease in the channels on the tap to help catch and collect the aluminum cuttings ;)

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: September 02, 2010, 08:09:19 am
Not much room underneath - I was thinking I'd need more space and a better angle of approach. There's no oil in the bike - that's the problem.... Of course, I'd rather not have to lay the bike over. Depends on the amount of effort required to re-cut the thread, assuming that's the way I go with this.
It seems it may be a fairly straight forward job after all, and unlikely to be a warranty issue - it's not the first oil change after all, although the drain plug always had that dodgy feel to it. The bike now can't be ridden the 35 miles to the dealer anyway...
I'll see what today brings....
Many thanks for all the input.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 08:16:50 am by WillW »

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: September 02, 2010, 11:51:09 am
Well for goodness sake! What was all that fuss about? You know my trouble - I think too much!   :-[
Drove to the local motor factors, who directed me to the engine rebuild place opposite, who sent me 200 yards down the road to a small industrial unit where the guy had EVERYTHING to do with mending stripped threads.
He lent me the tools, gave me a couple of inserts, and said pay me when you bring em back.
The job was done in half an hour, bike on centre stand, no drilling. Way simpler than I'd expected. Flushed through with half a litre of semi to get out any swarf, although most of it came out on the tap, which I'd greased. I thought the little tag on the insert was going to be tricky to remove, but a slight push and tug with long nose pliers and it was off. Works like it's meant to!
New oil, start engine, watch for drips, and ride into town to return the (cleaned) tools.
"Oh just call it a fiver" the guy said. I gave him a tenner and considered I'd got off lightly. What a gent.
I hope this reassures the next person here who strips the threads when changing the oil. It's a simple fix. Don't panic.   Oh --  and, um,  leave the JB Weld in the drawer........ ;)
Thanks guys for all the input. I'd never even heard of HeliCoil...... ::)

Here's the link. He ships all over the world, and has ALL sizes and threads, even arcane ones!   www.uni-thread.com
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 11:58:09 am by WillW »

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #28 on: September 02, 2010, 01:52:47 pm
Result!  :) People are very kind in your part of the world.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: September 02, 2010, 03:19:39 pm
Yes - it's that good Devon air. Seems to be good for folks. Very laid back down here - I came for a month in 1987 - never left.  :D