Author Topic: Drain plug thread stripped. Any ideas?  (Read 12837 times)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
on: September 01, 2010, 04:37:17 pm
Changed the oil today and the thread has stripped. This is the casing and not the plug itself - main drain, not the plate with the gauze behind. I'd noticed it was a bit iffy last time - tight to unscrew and hard to get it to bite when replacing. I know I didn't cross thread it, and I didn't over tighten. If I'd remembered before I started the job this time I'd have drained the oil by only removing the plate.
I can get it screwed back in, but it wont tighten. A bit of what looks like the stripped thread came out as I cleaned the hole with a rag.
Any ideas? Other than taking it in for repair and hoping to swing it under the warranty?
I thought about screwing it in with J-B Weld and just using the other drain hole in future, but this doesn't entirely appeal.
I was looking forward to riding this evening and tomorrow, dammit.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 05:16:29 pm
I believe I'd go the Heli-Coil route on that.
Run what ya brung

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 05:24:47 pm
I believe I'd go the Heli-Coil route on that.
Yea I agree UncleErnie, and be carefull, don't run the bike like that. Forget about JB weld for anything permenent, on something like that. Did you try just running a tap through it? of the same size?  Not sure of the size, but take the plug with you to the store, and pick up a tap, It's worth  a shot. Those helicoil kits are pricey.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 05:34:02 pm by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 05:37:55 pm
The hole's too enlarged to simply re-tap. The plug will screw back in, but pushes in a fair way first, and then wont tighten, so I can forget about re-tapping the original hole.
I guess heli-coil is the way to go. I don't have any such equipment here. I'll call the dealer tomorrow and see if they'll do it under the warranty.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 06:08:55 pm
     A heli-coil will work, but a solid insert such as "Time-Sert" will work better and last longer. Instead of a wire threaded onto newly cut threads, the solid insert is ... solid. properly installed with the proper tool it will lock into place in the newly cut threads needed for this type of repair. Have a shop or machinist do it, or buy the tools ($$$) and practice on a few dozen holes before tackling a repair in a critical area like this.

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 06:11:25 pm
For what it's worth, I had this problem from the dealership before I ever touched the bike and it was covered under warranty using Vince's method.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 06:26:23 pm
Thanks for the info guys - greatly appreciated. I'll see what the dealer says in the morning and if they wont do it under the warranty then I'll have to do it myself. I used to have a tap and die kit long ago when I was mending old cars, but many years and changes of address have gone by, and who knows where all that stuff ended up......
The modern methods - HeliCoil and TimeSert etc sound a lot easier to use - I'll be doing the research online tonight. Although gawd knows how I'm going to get the bike over onto its side and back up again on my own.....
I've been away for a week and was REALLY looking forward to riding my bike this evening. I almost left the oil change until tomorrow, and I wish I had. I came SO close to just glueing the bloody thing in with JB Weld just to get on the road. I might do it yet - how many drain holes does a bike need after all.....?
I have to say I really don't like the idea of drilling into the casing and risking getting metal shavings in there.....
Does anyone know the relevant thread etc sizes of the drain plug, in case I have to buy the repair kit?

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 06:49:34 pm
For goodness sakes! Just go to the car parts store and get an oversized drain plug for it. They come in a VARIETY of sizes and if you have it in your hand, the clerk should be able to find the right one for you. Thread it in - it makes its own threads - and you are DONE with it.  ;D
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 06:53:24 pm
Is it realy that simple??
I hope so.  If it's true  -  that's what I'll do! 

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 06:59:01 pm
For goodness sakes! Just go to the car parts store and get an oversized drain plug for it. They come in a VARIETY of sizes and if you have it in your hand, the clerk should be able to find the right one for you. Thread it in - it makes its own threads - and you are DONE with it.  ;D

I hope so.  If it's true  -  that's what I'll do!  

WillW:

My first choice would be get a bigger drain plug from auto or motorcycle store, as Scooterbob suggested.

If you do need to get Time Sert, have a look at this nice video on how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxnm8J9WXz8&feature=related
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 07:02:22 pm
I hope so.  If it's true  -  that's what I'll do! 

Yup - It IS that simple .... ! You don't the average knuckle-dragging CAR owner is going to suffer putting in a Time-Sert, Thread-Sert or a Heli-Coil, do you? THAY are lazier than ME - and I sure wouldn't do it - Hahaha!
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 07:10:32 pm
Well - I do have this knack of overlooking the blindingly obvious.....   ::)
Truth is, it hadn't ocurred to me that there might be incremental sizes of drain plugs readily available. In all honesty I'm still dubious. But tomorrow I'll drive round all the repair places I know and see what I can find. The very notion of such a simple fix has lightened my heart   :D
Thanks for the link Singh - I already found a couple of HeliCoil vids on YouTube. Hopefully that route can now be avoided
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 07:13:28 pm by WillW »

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 07:56:33 pm
  Why ya gotta make us all look stupid bob? :D What I say about over thinking something ::)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 08:24:24 pm
Well - I do have this knack of overlooking the blindingly obvious.....   ::)
Truth is, it hadn't ocurred to me that there might be incremental sizes of drain plugs readily available. In all honesty I'm still dubious. But tomorrow I'll drive round all the repair places I know and see what I can find. The very notion of such a simple fix has lightened my heart   :D
Thanks for the link Singh - I already found a couple of HeliCoil vids on YouTube. Hopefully that route can now be avoided
Don't be dudious, he's right. It's a self tapping drain plug. Wrench or socket it in ,you should be good. 

72westie

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 08:50:18 pm
I tried one of those self tapping plugs on my 2001 and it wouldn't work for me, maybe it was just me. Why haven't they come up with a better set-up for the case plugs?  ???
2001 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Race Bike:
2008 Ahrma Classic 60's #1 Plate
2009 AMA Vintage 50's #1 Plate
2010 AMA Vintage 50's #1 Plate
http://www.bgmotorcycle.com