Author Topic: Holy C-rap! 81mpg on the first tank!!  (Read 2794 times)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
on: August 29, 2010, 02:10:07 am
Guys, this is a great motorcycle!  Not perfect, but just what I wanted.  Thanks for the encouragement!

Well, I got the new C5 out for 120 miles today.  It thumped along nicely and I made about 4 stops to rest my sore back (getting used to the seat and position) and let the motor cool down (just to be safe).  Some 40-45mph roads were heavenly. 

I stopped at Lake Holms, somewhere east and south of Seattle, and took the scenic photo below.  Met a guy named Clyde, fishing on the small lake, and we talked old motorcycles, him used to own a BSA 650 Lightning.  Two old guys talking about motorycles.  Doesn't get much better!

Have to grease the clutch cable NOW.  Didn't they do it in India?

A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 02:25:02 am
I knew you'd like it, 81mpg is easy to live with too  ;D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 04:47:16 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Scrounger

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 04:44:24 pm
That pic makes me home-sick.

My RE keeps veering North.........  17 months and counting :P
The more pieces that fall off, the faster it goes!

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 05:32:22 pm
Nice!  My iron barrel bike is jealous!  For my around town driving (most of what I do), with all the stop and go shorter rides it entails, I typically get mpg in the upper 50's to occasional low 60's.  Out of town rides I usually get around the advertised 70 mpg and once got almost 75 on a camping trip.

Eamon
Eamon

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 06:35:57 pm
Fuel consumption is one of the strongest of the many strong points of this bike for me. My experience was that consumption improves over the break in period so yours may get better yet. Fuel prices are only going to go in one direction and how much longer people will put up with 40mpg from a motorbike will be interesting to see.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 08:48:57 pm
Fuel consumption is one of the strongest of the many strong points of this bike for me. My experience was that consumption improves over the break in period so yours may get better yet. Fuel prices are only going to go in one direction and how much longer people will put up with 40mpg from a motorbike will be interesting to see.

This is the ONE thing I'm counting on to help our favourite brand in the near future. It's certainly on that has kept in favour in India all these years! You can have a BIG bike and still get scooter gas mileage. Makes perfect sense to ME!  ;D
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 02:41:46 pm
My RE keeps veering North.........  17 months and counting :P

Scrounger -

You mentioned the Great State of Michigan in another post... are you 17 months gone, or 17 months 'till return...

Speakin' o' Michigan, really flippin' hot this summer - after wonderfully flippin' cool last summer.  Reckon the leaves will be turning in a few weeks anyway... :)

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman