Author Topic: Sprag clutch pre-emptive strike?  (Read 11982 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #30 on: September 22, 2010, 07:52:46 pm
Thanks for the pics.

Why the new C5 airbox design?  What's this 'piston noise' of which you speak?

Scott

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #31 on: September 22, 2010, 08:11:10 pm
Here is a link to my review on C5 and it explains it all about the air filter box flaw. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/73998-royal-enfield-500-classic-4100-km-ownership-review.html  Specially down here in India we have dry and dusty environment in some places and due to the design of the box, we get sand particles directly sucked into our lovely C5 and to counter this problem, RE has redesign the box with a plastic enclosure to be placed inside the present filter box.

It's the piston slap. Its on all the UCE engines I have ridden down here and it starts after you have done around 3k miles or more on odo. No immediate damage on the liner or rings(on visual inspection) but the noise is really annoying. Cant hear it on idle but once you start to roll then you can hear it in every gear till 40m/hr and then it fades away with the valve clatter.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: September 22, 2010, 11:01:12 pm

Upgrade of swing-arm bushes which has been all ready updated to take care of the instability issue and beefing up the swing arm which will take some time.

I 'm interested to find out what they meant by a swing arm bush upgrade? Is the material wearing out in India SSR? Because as you know , that's what I thought when I started out, looking for my wobbly problem.That and the swing arm. But as you know, that definitely turned out not to be the problem. Maybe there just upgrading everything? To be safe?
 Mine was definitley due to rear fender/tail construction, Finished off with correct tyre pressure. Interesting stuff.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #33 on: September 22, 2010, 11:30:03 pm
I have seen only few which were worn out although my C5 is from the first domestic production lot but I never had too much of flex to warrant a replacement. One reason for the upgrade is the flex of the bushes which we know can help our wobbly problem.

Na, they are not upgrading for the sake of it but working to resolve the wobbly problem. As it is a weird problem and in my case your solution did not work for me.

What worked for me till now is
a bit lower pressure
refitting of the rear tyre but didn't lasted longer and the wobbly came back
got a new tyre and for last 500miles its still stable as rock

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #34 on: September 23, 2010, 12:15:46 am
I vote we officially call it the 'wobbly problem' from now on in all venues.  Sounds much more friendly than 'C5 instability issue'.  :D

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: September 23, 2010, 01:35:57 am
I vote we officially call it the 'wobbly problem' from now on in all venues.  Sounds much more friendly than 'C5 instability issue'.  :D

Scott
I'm with that Scott, " the former wobbly problem" ;) I gotta tell ya,I feel guilty about not riding my other bike now. It's probably cooler looking, faster, smoother, etc. But the C-5 is just so easy to ride, Ya know?  Easier to pull out of the garage, warms up quicker, hit the button and go.It's a nice change of pace. I'm starting to see that more then one cylinder is a waste  :D

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #36 on: September 23, 2010, 01:40:20 am
Ducati twins are not a waste. 

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: September 23, 2010, 02:14:47 am
Ducati twins are not a waste. 
No there not, but go with me here for a minute will Ya, I had a moment. :D

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #38 on: September 23, 2010, 03:46:46 am
Me 2, this morning.  Bailed on the freeway and took side roads, had to merge onto a busy road and thought, "I could so easily do this on the Monster!"  But I had to wait like a whole 10 seconds for an opening with the RE.  First time in 2700 miles I've really missed that bike.  I was fine 3 seconds later.

I'll let you have your moment, you let me have mine.  Ok?

Scott ;)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 03:11:44 pm by Ducati Scotty »

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: September 23, 2010, 04:03:11 am
Me 2, this morning.  Bailed on the freeway and took side roads, had to merge onto a busy road and thought, "I could so easily do this on the Monster1"  But I had to wait like a whole 1o seconds for an opening with the RE.  First time in 2700 miles I've really missed that bike.  I was fine 3 seconds later.

I'll let you have your moment, you let me have mine.  Ok?

Scott ;)
Fair enough  ;)

sprivatester

• Scooter
Reply #40 on: September 24, 2010, 06:30:05 pm
Attaching some pictures of the sprag bearing, its the older one but the new one should be same.

These are older sprags..dreaded ones :)
are the new ones gonna be exactly identical in size n shape? will it fit on thunderbird?

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #41 on: September 27, 2010, 08:30:48 pm
These are older sprags..dreaded ones :)
are the new ones gonna be exactly identical in size n shape? will it fit on thunderbird?

If yours is a UCE thunderbird then yes it will fit.