Author Topic: Small Hole in the Engine Cylinder Head of my G5 !  (Read 12070 times)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 01:26:20 am
So this means I'm off the hook to pull a cylinder and see? Hahaha!  ::)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 01:29:23 am
So this means I'm off the hook to pull a cylinder and see? Hahaha!  ::)

Yes - it is good.  You can take a break and have a lager !  :)

Thanks for your offer to check the cylinder head.  
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 04:28:10 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 01:32:25 am
I should KNOW better ..... I CAN assemble a gearbox with a blindfold on in under six minutes, tho ..... that has GOT to be worth SOMETHING! Hahaha!  ;)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 04:26:01 pm

I saw some oil on the gasket between cylinder head and cylinder barrel.  That must have drained out through this hole a bit.

Sat Sree Akaal Singh JI,

Just a small addition, the hole is located above the head gasket so the oil can not go into the cavity and drain out unless there is small leak in the rocker cover and it drips into the cavity.

In all probability the tiny oil vapors spread near the gasket and covers the drain hole to which we think it came out of the hole which is not the case.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 03:58:29 pm
Sat Sree Akaal Singh JI,

Just a small addition, the hole is located above the head gasket so the oil can not go into the cavity and drain out unless there is small leak in the rocker cover and it drips into the cavity.

In all probability the tiny oil vapors spread near the gasket and covers the drain hole to which we think it came out of the hole which is not the case.

I will check the rocker cover.  But the most likely cause of the oil on the hole, as you wrote, is that oil near gasket spreads out and up as wind hits the engine, and it appears to be coming out of hole. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 04:20:05 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: September 04, 2010, 05:46:21 am
Singh JI, all the UCE engine have only one water drain on the RH side weather its domestic or export C5.

The one and only primary plug you have does not have a drain hole like on RH side. There is a gap between the fins and the block near the LH side head bolt(next to primary plug) Water does not collect there.

While on Rh side where there is a secondary plug or in export models just a deep cavity. On RH side the fins have metal to metal contact with the head without any gap(Rh side of head is wider then LH side) so they have intentionally had a drain hole because of the cavity form due to the head design.

The oil/moisture you see is from the barrel /head gasket. Tighten the head or replace the metal gasket if you dont want to see any oil there.

The oil is seeping and collecting in the cavity on the right side.  So I looked again inside the cavity.  The nut for the head is completely tight. 

But when I took a picture and looked carefully, it seems the nut is broken - can anyone confirm if your nut looks like mine or is mine is really cracked at 9 o'clock position.   

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: September 04, 2010, 06:56:55 am
 That looks like its just a black piece of debris singh. like a curled paint chip?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: September 04, 2010, 01:25:23 pm
That looks like its just a black piece of debris singh. like a curled paint chip?

I quite agree with you on that.

@Singh Ji

Anyway you could use a thin wire to feel the gap if its there. Mine does not look like that for sure.

Why dont you use some brush to wash that cavity and you will get a better picture.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #23 on: September 04, 2010, 06:23:33 pm
It is an odd shape for a crack Singh - could well be a bit of debris. Can you squirt something down there and see if it'll clean up? A crack ought to look a bit more jaggy I'd have thought .
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #24 on: September 04, 2010, 06:25:27 pm
A quick blast with some compressesd air will probably tell you what it is. Looks like debris of some sort to me too.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: September 04, 2010, 07:27:11 pm
Looks like there's a piece of the nut missing. It wont be able to exert the correct torque in that sate, replacement of the nut should fix it.

The piece might be in the well unless it was fitted like that.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: September 05, 2010, 01:54:18 am

I quite agree with you on that.
@Singh Ji
Anyway you could use a thin wire to feel the gap if its there. Mine does not look like that for sure.
Why dont you use some brush to wash that cavity and you will get a better picture.
It is an odd shape for a crack Singh - could well be a bit of debris. Can you squirt something down there and see if it'll clean up? A crack ought to look a bit more jaggy I'd have thought .

A quick blast with some compressesd air will probably tell you what it is. Looks like debris of some sort to me too.

Thanks GHG, SSR, WillW and r80rt
It is not a crack as you have correctly identified.  I wiped the debris off the nut and surrounding area.  The nut was intact.

After a little effort, I was able to unscrew it, cleaned it, and then put a copper washer (there is no washer originally) and screwed it back.  This is an attempt to stop the seepage of oil that may be coming from incomplete contact of this flange nut with the surface.  But there is no real smoking gun that indicates the real source of this oil. I do not see any oil drips off the rocker cover.

Thanks Rusty:  I also thought a part was missing, as you have posted.  
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: September 05, 2010, 08:12:44 pm
 Singh, just a thought. Maybe check around your rocker box covers. Maybe the gasket is seeping somewhere? If your lucky , just snug them up. It may only happen when the bike is hot, when the metal expands. I've seen this before on Honda's. Worth a try?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 08:22:56 pm by gashousegorilla »

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: September 06, 2010, 12:08:30 am
Singh, just a thought. Maybe check around your rocker box covers. Maybe the gasket is seeping somewhere? If your lucky , just snug them up. It may only happen when the bike is hot, when the metal expands. I've seen this before on Honda's. Worth a try?

Dan:

I had looked at the rocker box covers and thier gaskets.  There is only a little black dirt on the gasket but no oil is visibile.  To check if it leaks when hot, I swiped it with paper towel immediately after ride, when engine was hot.  There was no real oil, just black sticky dirt on the paper towel - so gasket seems to be soaked with oil but no drip outside. 

Since I put the copper washer under the flange nut for the head, I rode the bike yesterday and today.  Yesterday I found a little bit of oil in the hole.  Then I put Loctite on the top edge of nut.  After today's ride, there was practically no oil in the hole.  Then I used a Q-tip to clean around the nut and the surface around it and there was no oil on Q-tip.  Although it seems to be better but I need a few more rides to confirm that it is a real fix.

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: September 06, 2010, 12:19:52 am
  Good, singh sounds like you got it. I don't think it's a big deal anyway, put I hear you, just an annoying little thing. If the lock tite don't do it, you might want to try some teflon based pipe dope.  Good for gas ;) and fluids. Plumbing supply should have it.