Author Topic: G5 knee pads exchangable on the Deluxe version?  (Read 3236 times)

UNCWVintage

• Rick O' Shea Jr.
  • Scooter
  • Rick O' Shea Jr.
on: August 29, 2010, 03:05:55 am
I am a huge fan of the G5 deluxe motorcycle. Especially the gas tank with the chrome and stripes. The only turn off to me is the bulky knee pads. Are there any options for a knee pad that is less agressive.
- 1991 Suzuki DR 350 (Under Restoration)
- 1975 Yamaha XS 650B

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 03:22:47 am
  I think the G5 is the better looking bike being offered now.
   I have a 72 Triumph, and it doesn't have knee pads (they didn't come that year) and it looks good. I wonder what the G5 would look like without the knee pads?
And then there's an elderly guy who lives north of me, Uncle Ornery I belive, who added bulky kneepads to a tank that didn't have them.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 12:02:21 pm
As you probably found out, you can't just remove the pads because that painted panel just plain stops about an inch under the edge of the knee pads.  Heart-breaking in a "So close, yet so far" kind of way.

AS the stock pads are hollow, you might study one to see if you can just cut the edges down maybe a quarter inch all around.
Otherwise- go shopping.  A lot of bike models had knee pads, like the pre-69 BMW's, Triumphs, et al.
Run what ya brung

UNCWVintage

• Rick O' Shea Jr.
  • Scooter
  • Rick O' Shea Jr.
Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 05:10:29 pm
Well the truth is, I love the look of the pads/usefullness of the pads. I tend to wear double ply Carhartts and on the inside of the Jean is small button that will scratch a tank to death. You know how we tend to exaggerate... But I would like some pads with a lower profile. Do you have to find pad's built directly to Royal Enfield. I like the C5 pads
- 1991 Suzuki DR 350 (Under Restoration)
- 1975 Yamaha XS 650B

Kacey3

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 03:15:17 pm
I realize this thread is over 4 years old, but has anyone looked at pulling off the G5 kneepads and replacing them with something more like these: http://bit.ly/1mfK7nE

I agree that the tank needs the pads there, but I would love something a bit more sleek.

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 03:24:20 pm
The kneepads on the G5 are bolted on.  There is a nut welded to the outside of the tank.

So there's that.

Samgar
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

NField Gearman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 03:39:17 pm
The kneepads on the G5 are bolted on.  There is a nut welded to the outside of the tank.

So there's that.

Samgar

This is incorrect, at least for US models. It's just a threaded hole so the aftermarket pads will cover it just fine.

Kacey3

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 04:00:50 pm
This is fantastic news and I'm thrilled to get a response on what I was afraid would be a dead thread!

I am a taller rider and the concave pads are just in the wrong place for my knees. My knee joint ends up riding on the edge of knee pad itself, so the pointy part is actually resting on my knee. I am excited to order the parts and get to swapping them out.

Anyone have any advice on how to get them symmetrical, even, and straight?

NField Gearman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 04:07:20 pm
Anyone have any advice on how to get them symmetrical, even, and straight?

Place the one side first and then do some measurements and lay some masking tape out as guidelines and place the other side.

It sounds silly, but if they are off a little bit you will never be able to tell since you can't see both sides at the same time.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 06:21:06 pm
You could also use some 3M automotive foam tape to put them on.  Very easy to remove the tape residue later with a 3M Eraser Wheel if you change your mind.

Scott

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 07:14:32 pm
+1. Mine were off slightly... I knew, but it was never noticeable. I used Joanne fabric stick'um double sided tape. They stayed on and it's easy to remove...
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 10:15:12 pm
My mistake,  I remembered differently.  I checked it a little while ago.  Partsman is correct.  No nut, just a hole.

Samgar
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

Kacey3

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 03:54:57 pm
Just a bit of an update. This past weekend I finally swapped out my original stock pads with the ones purchased from Nfield gear and I have to say, they look great on there. The installation was a little intimidating but all in all it went really quick and easy.

The trick with the adhesive is to just get everything prepped and ready. I used painters tape to initially place the pads where I thought they would work best and tweaked them until they looked even. Then I took time and masked around each pad as best I could mostly so I would know exactly where the pad was going to be attached once I pulled it off.

Next I sat down right next to the tank with a couple of popsicle sticks, a clean workspace and the adhesive. I liberally coated the back of the pad and smeared it around with a popsicle stick to get a smooth even coating and then immediately did the same to the side of the tank, keeping all of the adhesive within the taped off area. I then immediately grabbed the pad and carefully placed it into the masked area. I pulled the tape off as quickly as possible as well to avoid getting it stuck under the pad in the adhesive. I made sure to press it tight all the way around and did some minor clean up along the edges where it bled out a little.Then I moved everything over to the other side and repeated the process. Everything really went smoothly.

The adhesive documentation says that it's ready to stick in about 4 minutes. That's honestly about how long it took me to apply it to each part so it was ready to go the instant I had finished coating both surfaces. I tried to move as quickly as I could without making a mess. People complain about the adhesive leaving "strings" as you pull the nozzle away from the surface you are coating, but if you yank it away the strings break rather than stretch. Think of silly putty.

Also, be careful with the adhesive when coating the tank, it is pretty thin and when trying to squeeze it onto the lower portion of the tank, it can drip off onto other parts of the bike. This only happened to me once and by some fate or fortune, it dripped directly onto the kickstarter pedal.

Nevertheless, everything worked out great. The key is good preparation and placement. Take your time lining everything up and setting up the work space. When you finally sit down to do the attachment, it goes pretty quickly. I could find no information about how long the final curing period is, but I went for a ride literally 30 minutes after finishing everything up and the pads were iron clad.

Anyway, here are the "after" pictures of my bike. I hope this information can help anyone else who is considering this swap.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 08:35:15 pm by Kacey3 »

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 03:59:12 pm
I found some nice looking aftermarket, smaller knee pads for a SR400 on ebay. They use some very sticky & thin double sided tape, holding well so far. This isn't the same Co. I got mine from but its the same pad. $12.00 shipping is B.S. .
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Fuel-Tank-Knee-Pads-Small-Custom-Cafe-Racer-Tracker-Ryca-Motors-/121439746475?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c465f79ab&vxp=mtr
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 04:09:51 pm by motorman2whel »