Author Topic: Old School Temptation  (Read 2559 times)

3rdgear

• Scooter
on: August 28, 2010, 06:18:14 pm
Still waiting for my black 2010 C5 to arrive, it should be here next week.  Stopped into the shop to get a status update when I noticed a white AVL.  It's a 2010, one of the last units off the assembly line, asking price is $5500.00.  I like that it has drum brakes and a kick starter.  I like to tinker so having a carb is fine with me too.  My concerns are reliability and top speed.

So here are my questions:

1) from a reliability stand point, is the AVL that much different that the UCE?
2) what is the top speed of an AVL?  Want to make sure it's at least 70.
3) MPG?

Thanks,
Eric
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 09:39:23 pm by 3rdgear »

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 06:24:44 pm
I would suggest a G5 instead of an AVL if you want a kicker..  70mph,   an AVL will do it, but it won't be happy about it in the long run.     
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 10:47:54 pm
Over (K on the clock, and I'm getting seriously paranoid that this lump seems to keep getting better.  Something should have broken by now- but there's still time, of course.

Other things have broken- like the brake lever perch,  (big deal...)  Still have the original cables, but I inspect them on a regular basis. 

I would say it likes to cruise around 60 -65.  I've had it up to 75, but my heart was in my teeth.  I wouldn't push my luck at 70 for more than a half mile.  The prevailing wisdon dictates that, and I'm a prevailing wisdon kind of guy.

No one has had a UCE bike for very long.  It looks very promising, but you'll have to wait 5+ years to fond out about comparable "reliability".
I tend to believe that reliability is mostly dependant on who owns the bike.   The AVL takes more puttering in the garage.  Sounds like the UCE is a no putter kind of thing.

Sort of like sports cars;  You want a TR3, or a Miata?  Both are fun to drive (yes- I've had both)
Run what ya brung

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 12:32:14 am
6,750 miles on my '09 C5, ZERO problems. Will cruise at 60mph all day long, will run 70 with ease, but it's no fun at that speed.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 04:40:20 am by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

I aint Elvis

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 06:40:56 am
The AVL engine has issues with self-destructing sprag clutches which are expensive to replace, the UCE does not have the problem. Like them or not, a disk brake stop you quicker than a drum brake. The kick start lever on the AVL gets in the way when your foot is on the footpeg. Also, the short production run for the AVL engine suggests there may be future difficulties with spares (e.g. Rubber inlet manifold/carb manifold - call it what you like, you can't get one and it is supposed to be replaced every six thousand miles. Part No. 510821).

The top speed and mpg of AVL and UCE is much the same for both, about 80 mph after it has been run in properly, about 75 mpg on average for standard models.

I am concerned about the AVL engined thing you have seen.
2010 with drum brakes, an AVL engine, and painted white?  No way, it sounds like a Bitza (Bitza this, bitza that).

I was wrong about that, it is a genuine model after all. Oops.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 10:07:16 am by I aint Elvis »
Youth is wasted on the young.

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 07:54:28 am
I aint Elvis, the AVL is available in the classic frame, with drum brakes.  Only the Electra had disc brakes up until the UCE models.  My dealer has had a 2008 White AVL with a white sidecar attatched sitting in their showroom for awhile, it's completely legit.
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

I aint Elvis

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 10:01:34 am
The AVL is available in the classic frame, with drum brakes.  Only the Electra had disc brakes up until the UCE models.  My dealer has had a 2008 White AVL with a white sidecar attatched sitting in their showroom for awhile, it's completely legit.

Thank you for that information Geirskogul, I bow to your superior knowledge and accept that it is a genuine model,  -  Quelle dommage, it is a much better option than the Electra X styling that was inflicted on me, though I would prefer it with a disk brake and no electric starter.
Disk brakes were fitted as standard to the Thunderbird, Machismo, and Electra X with AVL engines, and since  a model with AVL engine and no disk brake did not make it to my part of the world or appear on the manufacturers website in recent years I thought the one 3rdgear found might be a leftover from a special order or a mongrel. Sorry if I misled anyone, I will spend the rest of today making due penance (now, where did I put my sack-cloth and ashes)  ;D or maybe I won't. Maybe I'll just go back and strike it through.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 10:20:27 am by I aint Elvis »

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 10:25:26 am
AVL innards is a big improvment over the Iron barrel, as far as " gas & go" is concerned. Some tinkering is reguired.

The MPG claim is 75 MPG. My guess is , this can be achevied in top gear doing 38 mph, with a 105 lbs jocky in the seat.I have been able to get in the high 60"s range.
I think if I was a MPG nazi, I could do better.

UCE is a tuff game to beat. I would also look at G5 model, before purchasing a C5.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 12:15:17 pm
Mr Not-elvis, I WISH I had gotten an Electra-X.  I have rear-sets on my bike because I found the stock pegs to be too far forward and could deal with the brake and shift lever comfortably.  THEN I took the sidecases off to make more room for my feet.  I just got the Classic AVL mostly for the looks which I them demolished...
Oy

So this carb manifold doo-hickey;  it SAYS in the manual it's supposed to be changed out every 6K?   I wonder if that's whjy I can't get ride of my popping even though everything is buttoned up...  So WHY are you supposed to change it?
Run what ya brung

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 02:17:09 pm
Because it wears out? I don't think so, mine is two yrs. old and 15 K miles, still good.
Have you checked for air leaks, Ernie? Is your bike completely stock? If you modified it, i.e. exhaust etc. You may need to rejet, or just set the pilot circuit which is what makes a bike pop more than anything except air-leaks.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 03:08:13 pm
Took off all the air condition stuff, after-market header and pipe.  I'm pretty sure I have a bigger jet.  I've played with the air-misture screw and left it at where it seems to idle the best. 
I suppose I need to get some starter fluid to spray around; see if that effects the idle any.
Run what ya brung

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 04:16:28 pm
Took off all the air condition stuff, after-market header and pipe.  I'm pretty sure I have a bigger jet.  I've played with the air-misture screw and left it at where it seems to idle the best. 
I suppose I need to get some starter fluid to spray around; see if that effects the idle any.

WD40
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 08:24:23 pm
  ? 

Well- couldn't hurt to try it...
How soon can you drop your can off for me?
Run what ya brung

I aint Elvis

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 10:44:18 pm
So this carb manifold doo-hickey;  it SAYS in the manual it's supposed to be changed out every 6K?   I wonder if that's why I can't get rid of my popping even though everything is buttoned up...  So WHY are you supposed to change it?
The carb  manifold doo-hickey is basically rubber, eventually it will perish and crack and could allow air leaks. If yours in in good condition there is no need to replace it, mine was cracked and after spitting out the carburetor twice it was a sloppy fit, so it had to go. Tried to get the part, but nobody had one, Hitchcock's Motorcycles gave me a part number but they don't have and can't get the thing. I wanted to fit an Amal anyhow because I was having trouble starting the engine on cold mornings and there is no tickler on a Ucal/Mikuni CV carburetor.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 01:37:45 am
I think in the long run parts availabllity of the AVL parts will be OK. Sprag Clutch problems with that engine can be greatly reduced oreliminated with the replacement of the black ignition unit with the green one.

I can say beyond any shadow of a doubt that the UCE is a better engine in every respect than anything Royal Enfield has ever built in the past. All it takes is a journey deep inside the bowels of one to come to the same conclusion.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 08:09:22 am
If there is a 1K price difference between an AVL and a UCE (5.5k v 6.5k), you will probably make up that 1K making the AVL more reliable and minor repairs down the road, up to, say, 25K miles or so.  Then I  have a hunch the UCE will come out ahead.

Sound okay?
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!