Author Topic: loud clicking  (Read 2929 times)

icarus

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 04:33:44 pm
Could it be the PAV? If that's the case it's nothing to worry about.
1947 FN M13
1997 Honda Africa Twin XRV750
2007 Indian Bullet Electra 5S  which I travelled with in Nepal and India.
2008 Honda Transalp XL700V
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 04:44:30 pm
I think if the carbon looked undisturbed at the valve seats, it's probably not a seat.
Could be a sticky valve or rocker, like has been suggested by others.
I don't know what a PAV sounds like, since I've never had one, but maybe it might make some noise. Dunno.
Also check that you head steady rod is tight.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

shamak

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 10:00:17 pm
It was the valve seats.  He said the dealer should have done something to them (adjust maybe) before I bought it but didn't.  It shouldn't have happened at only 800 miles I guess.  What is a PAV?

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 02:44:43 pm
It was the valve seats.  He said the dealer should have done something to them (adjust maybe) before I bought it but didn't.  It shouldn't have happened at only 800 miles I guess.  What is a PAV?
Pulse Air Valve. It's function is to reduce the hydrocarbons. Many people, myself included, removed theirs. If you do remove yours you'll need to plug the hole in the head and seal off the tube from the intake manifold.

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 03:15:58 pm
If you do remove yours you'll need to plug the hole in the head and seal off the tube from the intake manifold.

I thinks Shamak is PAV-less...

Looks like she has an aftermarket exhaust without the PAV fitting... iron-lung has the pipe fitting in the exhaust header instead of a hole in the head... ;)

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: September 03, 2010, 07:20:10 pm
I thinks Shamak is PAV-less...

Looks like she has an aftermarket exhaust without the PAV fitting... iron-lung has the pipe fitting in the exhaust header instead of a hole in the head... ;)

Right you are Mike, my mistake. Having the AVL, sometimes I reference it without thinking. Bad on me for that.

shamak

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 10:15:32 pm
Yes I do have an after market pipe.  It sounds like a larger more powerful lawn mower now :D I am going to assume that my being PAV-less is a good thing then?

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #22 on: September 07, 2010, 02:12:23 pm
Yes I do have an after market pipe.  It sounds like a larger more powerful lawn mower now :D I am going to assume that my being PAV-less is a good thing then?

The PAV may (?) provide some benefit to the planet, but it doesn't hurt having it gone... weighs a couple of pounds, less tubes running around, a little less noise due to no burping of the valve...

'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: September 07, 2010, 02:48:40 pm
I was told to not go over 30KPH for the first 500kph then not over 50 till I had 1000KMS on the clock . They told me that if I did I would develope a clicking ticking sound in the cylinder. ::)

Your doing what ?--65MPH,-----  thats 100kph

You run it in at 30KPh to get the high spots knocked off and then you run it in again at higher RPMs and temperatures with different loads of the engine and different con rod strains and lengths.

Kinda makes sense but glad todays machinery can get better tolerances.

I think you've stuffed it.

You should have bought  Suzuki GSX 600.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #24 on: September 07, 2010, 05:25:05 pm
Shanna,I think Clamp makes a point.

Below is a critical break-in procedure.

"For the first 300 miles use !st gear to 9mph, 2nd to 15mph, 3rd to 18mph, 4th to 28mph, and 5th to 36 mph. 300 to 600 miles use 1st to 12mph, 2nd to 18mph, 3rd to 21mph, 4th to 33mph, and 5th to 42 mph. Don't lug it. Vary the throttle. City driving is ideal. I know it is tedious. The benefit is a sweet running reliable bike. I always re-torque the head on the first service. "  Vince

Your bike may be a good candidate for the Fireball upgrade.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #25 on: September 07, 2010, 06:11:14 pm
It is still not clear (to me anyway) what the hell was wrong with this bike. So far, I got the seats needed adjusting? So, did it need a valve adjustment , or did the valve seat fall out?
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.