Author Topic: loud clicking  (Read 2924 times)

shamak

• Scooter
on: August 26, 2010, 06:26:29 pm
Ok, here is my 3rd post and hopefully final (for this year) issue with my 08 Bullet.  My bike has 700 miles on it.  I would say that 680 of those miles are at 55mph and under.  Recently I started to hear a clicking noise coming from the front end directly under the forks (sorry I don't know much about the engine & what the parts are).  At first it didn't get louder as I would excellerate but then I took it on the highway at about 65mph and after that the clicking was VERY loud and continues to be loud (my friend heard me coming down the road inside his house).  The clicking does get louder the faster I go but it doesnt get faster.  When I come to a stop and the idle goes down the clicking isn't as loud anymore but is still there.  Other than the weird quirks that I also posted (starting ritual)  it runs fine but it sounds so awful that I would have to think it isn't good to be driving it like this for long.  I would greatly appreciate ANY advice!

Thanks,
Shanna

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 07:25:58 pm
This bike needs to go the the shop. More than likely your valves are really out of adjustment. Your shouldn't be riding a Bullet that fast, especially with so few miles.

shamak

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 08:27:32 pm
I figured I should bring it in, I was just hoping to have some sort of idea of what the problem might be before I bring it in. 

Oh and it was really cold the other morning so I was doing 65mph and at the time I didn't care because I was so cold.  But, how many miles do you reccomend waiting before going on the highway? 

Thanks for the advice!

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 09:08:21 pm
I recomend never going on the highway.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 04:14:19 am
I believe 1200 miles or so is probly good.Probly don't matter much now.I got mine with 6oo miles on it and rode it as tho it were ready for Indy.I did not know any better.It is ok,tho.But it probly won't get to an impressive mileage before "things" start to show up.Maybe.7000 is about to come up on the odometer.I have a loud cick or tap that randomly is emitted from the area of the trans or......I think it is the trans.It is obviously SOME thing,but since it is not in sinc with allthe other clicks and taps,ain't gonna pay it any mind.These things like to worry the hell outa ya,when they are not well and truly broken down.I kinda like your start up ritual,actually.Nobody's gonna steal it,unless they pack it off.

Phlakaton

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 12:24:56 pm
highway = chunks of your bike left on highway

too fast.  55 is the top speed for my baby.  and rarely.  even at 5k miles
'08 Bullet 500 Iron ES

Scrounger

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 02:31:31 pm
What is the rpm on a stock 500 4spd at 55 mph?

What is the top rpm you would consider good for cruse?

There seems to be a happy feel to the engine at an indicated 55 on my bullet, but I know the speedo reads high, guessing around 50 mph ???

Got to find a speed trap and run through several times to figure this out.

Cheers!
The more pieces that fall off, the faster it goes!

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 02:59:57 pm
What is the rpm on a stock 500 4spd at 55 mph?

What is the top rpm you would consider good for cruse?

There seems to be a happy feel to the engine at an indicated 55 on my bullet, but I know the speedo reads high, guessing around 50 mph ???

Got to find a speed trap and run through several times to figure this out.

Cheers!

I think if you search the forum, several folks have provided the data on RPM vs speed. 

I don't have a tach, but my 5-speed really likes the upgrade to an 18 tooth sprocket.  Very comfortable at 50-55mph, and my mileage went up a few notches. Whatever the RPM's are, my bike doesn't feel too comfy if I go much above it. 

My speedo needs 62 indicated for 55 actual.  I checked it against a bike speedo inititally and verified it with GPS.  That $10 bike speedo is darned accurate when set up carefully. 

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 03:09:01 pm by mbevo1 »
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

shamak

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 04:31:08 pm
Single,  I thought the loud click/tap noise was also coming from the tranny area but when I listened on the right side it sounded more like it was coming from the there.  I bet it's the same think you hear.  I wasn't too worried about it until it got REALLY loud. So loud you can hear me coming 2 blocks away.

I try not to go over 55mph but it has happened a few times and I can tell the poor thing sounds like it's about to blow.  Why do the specs say it can go 75mph?  Is that just to make it look good, lol. 

I found a local guy that works on RE's so I'm going to bring it there and see what he says.  I'm hoping he tells me it's nothing major so I don't have to pay $87 an hour to fix. 

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 05:25:33 pm
Mike in Michigan seems to have a similar issue and he is thinking it mite be a valve seat coming adrift.So,you mite want to let this mechanic listen to it before much use of it.I am still pretty sure mine is coming from the trans area,and have actually heard the same sound going over a sharp bump.Confusion is a major factor in my existence.

neil

• Bulleteer
  • Neil & Buzzy the Bullet
Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 02:16:39 am
The valves on the Royal Enfield are activated by pushrods. When you purchased your bike, the Dealer should have adjusted them before you took it out of the show room. In all likelyhood they now need to be adjusted. If there is up and down movement in the pushrods it will cause a clicking or clacking noise from the right front side of your engine. The faster your go and the more demand you put on your engine the louder the clicking/clacking will sound. When the engine is idling, the sound will still be there.

You need to get your bike to the dealer who sold it for pushrod adjustment. These engines also need to be broken in by riding them moderately for the first few hundred miles and then vary the speed for a few hundred more miles before they are ridden above 50 mph. Singles, when they are new, develop heat quickly if they are ridden too fast. Break-in equals moderate speed until the engine operates free of friction between moving parts in the engine. 

The sound you hear can be stopped by having the pushrods adjusted. It's a simple adjustment but needs to be done when the engine is cold. If you get a manual, you can learn how to do it yourself. Good luck with your enfield.

shamak

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 07:35:14 pm
Thanks again Neil,

That's exactly what the problem was.  I am willing to bet the dealer I bought it from didnt adjust them. Unfortunely that dealer is out of state so I had to bring it to a local guy and pay for it but there was obviously MANY other issues to take care of as well.  Thanks for your help!!

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 09:00:50 pm
While it will be time-consuming -especially at first- it would behoove you to learn how to do these things yourself.  I recommend the Two Step approach;
1)  Get a manual
2) Stand naked in a field with your arms out-stretched, face turned to the sun, and absorb positive energy from Cosmo.  (if you live in an urban area, wearing a bathing suit is OK. )
Run what ya brung

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 10:14:38 pm
2) Stand naked in a field with your arms out-stretched, face turned to the sun, and absorb positive energy from Cosmo.  (if you live in an urban area, wearing a bathing suit is OK. )

Yes... if in the city, PLEASE consider the bathing suit!
  :o
Eamon
Eamon

shamak

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 03:39:13 pm
Thanks Uncle Ernie,

Weather permitting I am going to give the cosmo thing a try :o

I'll let you know how if it works!