Author Topic: neutral start  (Read 918 times)

shamak

• Scooter
on: August 26, 2010, 06:19:32 pm
My bike will ONLY start if the bike is in neutral.  I could have sworn that when I first got the bike (this is my second year) it didn't have to be in neutral but I wasn't sure if maybe I just always had it in neutral and didn't realize it.  Is this a safety feature or something?  It is very annoying because sometimes if it kills at a light or something it's hard to get it back into neutral to start again.  Sometimes I even have to put it in/out of neutral and even back up a little to get it to start once it's in neutral.  Any advice? 

Thanks!!

Shanna

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 06:24:41 pm
Safety feature,, you should be able to bypass the switch,,get a manual for your model, trace the wires, and bypass or jump out the culprit
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

shamak

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 06:28:32 pm
That would probably explain why I didn't think it was like that when I first got it.  I had some rewiring work done on it (and after that is when I noticed it) so they may have hooked the safety feature back up.  THANK YOU!!! ;D

neil

• Bulleteer
  • Neil & Buzzy the Bullet
Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 02:55:21 am
Shana: If you pull the clutch lever in tight to the handlebar, the bike should start  and you should not have to put it in neutral. The safety feature is an either or proposition. If you have it in neutral the clutch switch has no effect. If you have the clutch switch depressed by pulling the lever up against the handlebar, the bike will start even if it is not in neutral. Good luck with your bike and ride safely.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 03:10:30 am
May I assume this is about Electric Start?
Run what ya brung

neil

• Bulleteer
  • Neil & Buzzy the Bullet
Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 12:13:18 am

Y u p !

shamak

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 07:19:47 pm
Thanks Neil,

That makes sense because that's probably why when I first bought it I didn't have to have it in neutral with the clutch in. But out of nowhere it changed and it would not start with the clutch in even.  I think the reason why (I'll find out when I pick her up the shop tomorrow) is the guy at the shop told me that my clutch was all messed up too so maybe that's why.  I have been having issues with not being able to get it into neutral at times too.  Thanks for the info!