Author Topic: Bullet 500 Classic outer transmission cover  (Read 4068 times)

cochi

• Grease Monkey
on: September 26, 2007, 09:45:13 pm
I am the proud owner of an 03 Bullet 500 classic. A couple of months ago  while changing the clutch cable  I noticed an outward deflection of the outer cover as I depressed the clutch handle. The only mod I've done was the replacement of three stock  springs with 3 of the heavy duty ones. Clutch seems to work OK

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 10:00:38 pm
  From what I have read in other forums that is normal for the 4-speeds.  I have a 5-speed and have never seen the outer cover move.  Unless you see a crack developing I would think that you are OK.
  Perhaps someone with first hand knowledge can jump in......Leonard

I am the proud owner of an 03 Bullet 500 classic. A couple of months ago while changing the clutch cable I noticed an outward deflection of the outer cover as I depressed the clutch handle. The only mod I've done was the replacement of three stock springs with 3 of the heavy duty ones. Clutch seems to work OK
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 11:58:33 pm
Not much help perhaps, but here's my observation.  I have a 350 cc classic with the standard clutch setup and 4-speed box.  I've never seen the primary drive cover move, but to be honest I have never looked at it while changing gear.  I just went into the garage and couldn't see any movement when I pulled the clutch in.  I put my hand on the cover and tried again, but couldn't feel any movement either.  Having taken that cover off and looked at the inside of it in the past, I can't see how it could move unless the clutch assembly was touching it.  To make that thickness of metal move it would have to be touching it with quite a bit of pressure and would make a lot of noise.

Or am I missing something?

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

krodaddy

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 02:11:24 am
Is the transmission cover or the primary drive cover moving?
I just went out and looked at my 02 4 speed and yes indeed the transmission cover on the right side does flex when the clutch lever is operated.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 02:15:45 am by krodaddy »
Krodaddy

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 04:24:16 am
This flexing while a bit unerving is normal.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 08:33:43 am
My mistake, folks.  Put it down to language differences.  Transmission Cover (US) = Gearbox Cover (UK) right?  I just looked again and mine does move.  I didn't know that and it's rather strange to see!

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 06:30:00 pm
Thanks for the feed back on the transmission cover.  Just as a thought , perhaps  one of the reasons some clutches drag is because the movement of the outer tranny case decreases the amount cluch rod travel leaving the clutch partially engaged.