Author Topic: Service Intervals?  (Read 3615 times)

3rdgear

• Scooter
on: August 26, 2010, 02:43:37 pm
I am curious about the service intervals for the UCE bikes.  In particular, what is recommended in the manual.  If your in the know, please post.

Thanks!

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 03:04:19 pm
I am curious about the service intervals for the UCE bikes.  In particular, what is recommended in the manual.  If your in the know, please post.

Thanks!
My guess is you want to know everything about service - when to change, adjust or replace everything such as air filter, cable adjustment, cable replacements, oil changes, chain adjustments etc. etc.  Do you want to know all these or do you just want to know oil change intervals as Prof_Stack has posted below ?

These are all listed in Owner's manual - were you not given one with your bike ?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 04:17:18 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 03:54:38 pm

Thanks!

The C5 manual says 300 miles and then 2000 miles.  But it seems many of us also change the oil before 1000 miles. 
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 04:22:52 pm
Here is a copy of one of the pages on the maintenance of UCE bikes.

The manual recommends oil changes at 300, 3750, 7500, 11250, 15000 miles and so on.  But most owners change oil more frequently.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 04:15:06 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 01:31:57 pm
As I understand, changing oil more frequently than recommended, when using modern oils only helps the profit line of the oil company.  These oils are usually meant to go thousands of miles before needing to be changed in cars, but MC engines generally run hotter and higher rpms than car engines, so this it seems is the reason for calling for more frequent changes than one would in a car.  But more frequent changes than called for in the manual, unless one is riding in extreme conditions of heat, dust, speed, etc., it doesn't really seem necessary -- unless, of course, one has lots of shares in an oil company!   ;)
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 03:06:43 pm
Well, I change mine every 2000 miles, oil is cheap metal is expensive ;)
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 04:44:08 pm
As I understand, changing oil more frequently than recommended, when using modern oils only helps the profit line of the oil company.  These oils are usually meant to go thousands of miles before needing to be changed in cars, but MC engines generally run hotter and higher rpms than car engines, so this it seems is the reason for calling for more frequent changes than one would in a car.  But more frequent changes than called for in the manual, unless one is riding in extreme conditions of heat, dust, speed, etc., it doesn't really seem necessary -- unless, of course, one has lots of shares in an oil company!   ;)

Some moto engines spin way faster than car engines, these UCE engines don't.  They do run pretty hot as most air cooled engines do and they have the additional wear of the transmission gears chewing up the oil.  Motorcycle specific oils have compounds that prevent breakdown of the oil and lower the friction of the gears.  These compounds used to be in all motor oils but have been greatly reduced in car oils in recent years for emissions reasons.  And the engine only takes about 2 quarts of oil so even a change every 2000 miles as many people here do is not going to break the bank.

Scott

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 05:27:59 pm
I change my oil WAY more often than the manual recommends.  It's not about the oil breaking down- the oil carries away junk;  dirt and sludge and little specs of metal- all things that want to wear out the engine parts faster. 
Run what ya brung