Author Topic: rear tire tube blew!!!!!  (Read 2518 times)

britt

• Scooter
on: August 24, 2010, 07:07:35 pm
Hello, yesterday I had a slow leak in rear tire so I put some tube sealer in it. I must have put much in it. I went for a ride afterwards. I was traveling about 25 miles per hour and all of sudden the rear tire blows, I was all over the road before I could pull over. Sure enough the tube had blew. I was lucking. No injuries. Caution do not over fill tube. Thanks

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 09:00:10 pm
Glad you lived to tell the tale Britt!
I think those puncture sealants are more effective on tubeless tyres. They'll work in a tube as long as it doesn't tear  -  it usually does!
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 10:01:04 pm
That was a close call.  Thank lucky stars that you are safe and ok.  Your post is really an eye opener for everybody - not to use tube sealer - but replace the tube if it leaks.  As WillW has said I think they are for tubeless tyres.

When you said - do not over fill tube.  What was the air pressure ?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 10:10:20 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 11:36:59 pm
     I presume you discovered the "slow leak" by noticing that the tire was nearly flat. This is how these things normally go. When you ride on a low tire for a while the tire tends to spin on the rim. Was the valve stem at an angle? If so, what probably happened was that the stem was at least partially ripped out of the tube. This would cause the blow-out. A lot of slow leaks are caused by riding around on a low tire, causing the above mentioned valve stem issue. When was the last time you actually checked the pressure?
     Another possibility is that what ever puncture caused the original leak damaged the tube to the point that with more pressure it simply split. Also, with low pressure, a big bump can pinch the tube between the rim and tire. This also causes a tear or split.
     Tire sealers work thusly: fibers are suspended in a glue solution that sets up when put under pressure. When an object protrudes into the tube, the fibers stick to it. When the object is pulled or forced out the fibers fill the hole and the glue sets up. For this to work it is best to install the sealer BEFORE there is a flat, or at least with the puncturing object still in the tire or tube. Once the object is out, the sealer can't work. The sealer also can't seal a rip or tear. Use a sealer only in an emergency when there is NO other way. Then ride only to where you can properly repair the flat. The sealer in NOT a permanent repair.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 02:28:38 am
Glad you are OK, I blew a rear tire once, hell of a ride ain't it? :D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 02:35:03 pm
  Blown both front and rear tires.  Ain't any fun in it at all.  But if you ride long enough it'll happen.  Thankfully you weren't hurt.  Now you know what it feels like and will be a better rider for it.  That's the worst part of riding a bike..it's all on the job training with no mentor along.

My buddies look at me strange because I change tires way before the cord or belts are showing.  But knock on wood haven't rode a flat out in about 10 years. 
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 02:54:43 pm
Kenda Tuff-Tubes will keep a lot of that at bay - especially if you ride over rugged terrain (the roads in India for example  ;)) They are heavy - but I don't think you could hole one with a rifle .... !
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 04:01:35 am
No you cant blow a hole in it with a riffle but I finally managed it with a hand grenade.

Ps the roads in India are quite good,I never noticed any potholes in fact. The standard fitted tyre is a local and very cheap one which can be up-graded to a Dunlop especially for export models.

I spotted mine in the showroom with Dunlops already fitted.

Sudden blow outs are alarming to say the least.   Is this conversation going tubless ?
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 03:39:22 pm
I blew a front tire in a motocross, bent the frame on a brand new  Maico, I landed in the mud.
May be in need of runflats
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 12:44:04 am
  Or at least rim locks to keep the tire on the rim at least.  Had those on my Guzzi 850T, just can't see the expenditure anymore..since I don't ride near 100mph now.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 05:05:35 pm
  Or at least rim locks to keep the tire on the rim at least.  Had those on my Guzzi 850T, just can't see the expenditure anymore..since I don't ride near 100mph now.

Rim locks are a grand idea. When I restored a '72 Honda CB 100 a few years ago I discovered the need for rim locks to avoid rear tyre slip and tearing out the valve stem. I was not able to find the size needed for that small rim, so I put  small drops of thin cyanoacrilate glue (super glue) around the rim. Problem solved !  I just wonder if the "new owner" will have much of a problem when he has to remove that tyre.
1972 Honda CB 450 Rufus, Murdered
1978 Triumph T-140 E, Sadly gone
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe Iron head, " Old Bill"
1971 Honda CB-100,"Kikuchiyo"-traded
O Day 20 Sailboat "Tempus Fugative"
1992 Mazda Miata "Lady Murisaki"250,00miles!
Too many Toys, what else is retirement for?

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 06:19:32 pm
     You can use sheet metal screws.About 4 to 6 on each side of the rim. Drill a small hole and thread it through. The screw needs to be just long enough to protrude 1/8 inch into the tire bead. You can unscrew them to ease tire changing.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 07:06:12 pm
     You can use sheet metal screws.About 4 to 6 on each side of the rim. Drill a small hole and thread it through. The screw needs to be just long enough to protrude 1/8 inch into the tire bead. You can unscrew them to ease tire changing.

And if you use little button-head screws, it looks RACY!! Dunnit to every lousy Brit hot rod bike I had. I ought to be hung for drilling Dunlop wheels ..... Now we are ALL paying through the nose for THAT ..... sheesh! Rim locks were too heavy to ride FAST with .....
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 10:56:27 pm
  Never thought of that..the only screws we put in wheels went into the tires for ice racing.  That was before you could buy them ready made.  Ah the memories of my Ho Junka on the lake racing along at 45mph.  No scratch that...
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Garrybold

• Neophyte
Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 04:49:53 am

Hi Mate

I think you had a very narrow escape .I am sorry for what had happened. The tube seals are a temporary solution for a tyre  when it had worn out. I suggest to replace the tyre with a new one so as to avoid further risk to your life.

london electrician