Author Topic: MPG Survery  (Read 7060 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 11:46:14 pm
Living on another continent I´m not affected but..is this good or bad?

Ethanol reduces fuel economy and can adversely affect some rubber or polymer parts.
Most modern vehicles can tolerate it, but the fuel economy still suffers.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 11:51:38 pm
Ethanol reduces fuel economy and can adversely affect some rubber or polymer parts.
Most modern vehicles can tolerate it, but the fuel economy still suffers.

Ethanol sucks A$$! Using corn that could OTHERWISE be turned into good old Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey ..... or food ....... for motor fuel is an egregious violation of MY trust! It's downright Comma-nist or something or other .....  >:(
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

TheFatMan

• Scooter
  • The Fat Man's home on the lake
Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 03:02:45 pm
It's downright Comma-nist or something or other .....  >:(
Bob,
Couldn't agree more.  It also mucks up carbs and literally eats the fuel lines on my old cars.  I can count on a rebuild of the carbs on my old snowmobiles every other season with ethanol/gas.  I don't know if it would have an adverse effect on an Enfield, but I'm not taking any chances.  False economy when you spend a couple of cents more per gallon and nearly a hundred bucks to re-build the three carbs on a triple snowmobile (not counting my time)!

I wouldn't mind hearing some longer term reports from folks who have it in every grade and have no choice BUT to use it.  Any ill effects?

TFM

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: September 04, 2010, 06:01:17 am
Bob,
Couldn't agree more.  It also mucks up carbs and literally eats the fuel lines on my old cars.  I can count on a rebuild of the carbs on my old snowmobiles every other season with ethanol/gas.  I don't know if it would have an adverse effect on an Enfield, but I'm not taking any chances.  False economy when you spend a couple of cents more per gallon and nearly a hundred bucks to re-build the three carbs on a triple snowmobile (not counting my time)!

I wouldn't mind hearing some longer term reports from folks who have it in every grade and have no choice BUT to use it.  Any ill effects?
TFM

All the gas sold in my area has Ethanol in it, whether you buy regular or premium.  So no choice here  :(.   To prevent any problems due to ethanol, I add Star Tron Enzyme Fuel treatment as I mentioned earlier.  It is supposed to help with problems caused by ethanol.  Here is the link and you can read the detailes.  It seems to be better than Sta-bil.  Don't have hard proof or number but just my perception and what some others have said.

http://mystarbrite.com/startron//content/view/12/34/lang,en/
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 06:19:52 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 10:46:25 pm
My old, inefficient  carb, power robbing , primary, and gear  box, AVL engine, seems to get better MPG then some of you .
 Ethanol ? Tire pressure? It all adds up, but thought EFI computers did a little  better job fine tuning…..but guess not.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010, 02:19:37 am
Bob,
Couldn't agree more.  It also mucks up carbs and literally eats the fuel lines on my old cars.  I can count on a rebuild of the carbs on my old snowmobiles every other season with ethanol/gas.  I don't know if it would have an adverse effect on an Enfield, but I'm not taking any chances.  False economy when you spend a couple of cents more per gallon and nearly a hundred bucks to re-build the three carbs on a triple snowmobile (not counting my time)!

I wouldn't mind hearing some longer term reports from folks who have it in every grade and have no choice BUT to use it.  Any ill effects?

TFM

I have quite a few rigs in "storage mode" - too many bikes and not enough time .... and I either keep them empty - or with 100LL AvGas in the tank. I haven't had to rebuild a carb in YEARS. Most of the bike carbs that I get nowadays that have died from sitting with pump gas in 'em can't be salvaged. The sh!t-for-gas dries up into concrete - and no GOOD carb cleaner (trichlorethane!) is available any more to eat the crud out of them. It's sad ..... the Gub'Mint and the oil industry - along with the powerful motor vehicle industry has all but ASSURED that we are going to buy a new car or bike every five years by killing the old ones with the miserable crud that we call "motor fuel" ........  >:( I totally feel your pain if you have an old car that you're trying to keep and enjoy ..... 60 octane drip gas would almost be better for one than the stuff currently available ...... sigh ........  :(
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!