Author Topic: Sad news  (Read 10531 times)

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
on: January 05, 2008, 07:29:54 pm
I just heard today that my dealer will stop selling REs. They still service them, as well as other Brit end Euro bikes, but I won't see any REs on the showroom floor when I visit. Not their fault, they just weren't selling enough of them. I guess there are only a few of us who appreciate what real motorcycles were supposed to look and feel like.

prof_stack

Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 07:43:09 pm
Dang, sorry to hear it.  But at least you will still have service available.  And parts, as needed, from CMW.

The closest dealer to Seattle is Vince's, 60 miles away in Olympia.  If Vince were to stop selling RE's, then things would be very sad indeed.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 08:21:20 pm
They would have to pry the Enfield from my cold dead fingers. These are truly FUN motorcycles. Also, as a general rule, Enfield riders are my favorite customers. They are much more astute about motorcycles, and life in general. As an importer, Classic Motorworks is without peer. From Kevin on down to the newest member it is truely a class act among importers. Trust me on this. I've dealt with more than a few. I would venture to say that any dealer who would give up these bikes does not really understand or respect this market. I'll be here for you, Professor.

prof_stack

Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 05:57:32 am
Vince, you're the best!   ::)

Although my wife merely smiled when I showed her your response!  Got to get her ready for the new bike, you know...

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 09:17:51 pm
I don't have a dealer near, and I really don't miss them.     As long as the boys in Minnesota are on the job, who needs them ..  I realize the Minn boys need the dealers but long live UPS........dg

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
  • Use Small Words - I'm an Engineer
Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 09:32:14 pm
Thats what I would have said a year ago or so. My only dealings with dealers left me wondering how they ever stayed in business. The good thing is it made me learn how to fix my own bike sooner rather than later! So now I'm confident enough to do most repairs on my own.

But, then I bought the Enfield from my local dealer and he's absolutely great (Crawford Sales, South Lyon, Michigan). Very helpful, very thorough and loves bikes. So I try to help him out when I can by ordering parts through him, or sending possible sales his way. Its nice to have the dealer support nearby, assuming you have a good dealer!
2007 Military 500ES. 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 04:54:18 pm
I agree with BanditRE, my dealer(Reinbold Sales) in Frankenmuth, MI. is only 12 miles from my house and I always order my parts through him. Very good people. I only order direct from CMW when I need something for my 67 Interceptor.   Hutch
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 06:04:45 pm

But, then I bought the Enfield from my local dealer and he's absolutely great (Crawford Sales, South Lyon, Michigan). Very helpful, very thorough and loves bikes. So I try to help him out when I can by ordering parts through him, or sending possible sales his way. Its nice to have the dealer support nearby, assuming you have a good dealer!

Terry is the best. It's no coincidence he's the #1 Ural dealer in the US. I did all my Ural business with him and even drove from Va to MI to buy a used Ural from him. I've also ordered a few RE parts from him (two primary gaskets which are $$$ and a timing cover gasket for when I tackle those cam gears....).

Matt

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
  • Use Small Words - I'm an Engineer
Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 06:12:52 pm
Terry is a good guy. He's still busy as well, which with our local ecomony right now, speaks volumes.
2007 Military 500ES. 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe

sasquatch

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 09:23:22 pm
Two years ago, I decided to buy a sidecar rig, and started shopping for a dealer... I like to talk to people, and decide WHO I'm going to buy from before I know what I'm going to buy.  Crawford Sales in South Lyon is by far the best dealer I've ever purchased anything from.  Friendly, knowledgeabe, and great people.  Very patient with my many questions - without a sale over the years so I was so glad when they started selling RE because I couldn't swing the $10,000 to get into a new ural outfit, and the Bullet just seemed to be my style.  They made me a great deal on an '07 Electra, & I'll be adding my rocket side car through them later this spring after the break-in period.  Well worth the drive from my corner of the mitten.  It's always nicer to deal with people, and not just a keyboard & mouse when ordering stuff.
- sasquatch -
"Never pound with a large wrench, when a smaller one will do."

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 03:11:59 pm
It's great when you have an enthusiastic dealer nearby becuase you support him and that'll put some money in his pocket to stay in business to help you when you need parts/advice etc.
Well done Vince!  ;)

Here in UK I bought the bike knowing that there would be a limited amount of dealers etc but how pleased was I when I got the Bullet home and started looking for dealers I found one out in the countryside, but only 10 miles away!!!!! Good chap too. C & C Motorcycles Nr. Maidstone, Kent if any of the other UK guys are reading this ;D
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 08:29:35 pm
My only dealer complaint is the distance from me.........over 80 miles.    I had to trailer mine a couple times for oil pump failures and now just fix it my self.   When I bought the bike in 02, I received a parts breakdown manual and a repair manual, plus the web site and Snidal cd , I can keep up on most everything.   CMW boys do a great job on parts and also this forum............yeah its still snowin..........dg

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 01:39:18 pm
We've got lots of bike dealers in Pittsburgh, but not one RE dealer... Doreen at CMW put me next to L & L Classic Cycles in Hubbard (70 miles away), and I ran over after calling to see if I could get a test ride.  I sure hope Matt and Jerry will be in business for a loooooonnnnngggg time...  They're great folks.  My RE's reserved, and I'll be giving Matt a list of accessories I want on the bike when we do the paperwork, and he sez he'll deliver it, and them when the time comes (I'm just waiting for my IRS refund so as to make the complete payment).  Now there's a bike shop and bike like I used to know and love.  Just wish Matt & Jerr were in Pittsburgh.  But 70 miles is just a nice ride so I don't think I'll mind the distance. ;)
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

geoffbaker

Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 03:49:34 pm
The nearest dealer to me is north of Phoenix... some 150 miles from here.

There's only one guy in town I've found who's even willing to work on RE's.

I'm on my own. But with the Internet and this forum, I find I can get all the info I need to handle it myself...

deejay

Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 04:06:34 pm
There's only one guy in town I've found who's even willing to work on RE's.

The two classic Brit shops in my state (that I know of) won't touch my bike. They both refuse to work on them and actually told me to steer clear of the bikes all together when I was shopping around.