Author Topic: Finding Neutral  (Read 3427 times)

Pod265

• Neophyte
on: August 20, 2010, 09:06:49 pm
Hi,

I have just taken delivery of a new Royal Enfield Clubman and I am pleased to have found a forum to discuss issues that may arise. I am just running the bike in and have only 60 miles on the clock.

Just to start my education, I've noticed that I can't find neutral with the engine running. I have to turn the engine off and the ignition on again to see that I have neutral. I used to have this same problem with my old Honda 400/4 but just assumed that it was because it was an old bike.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Bill
Devon UK

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 09:45:43 pm
Hey Bill, welcome. Are you trying to find neutral having stopped the bike without having gone down through the gears? It's a slow process best avoided.

I too am in Devon. Give us a wave.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 10:29:59 pm
Roll to a halt in second and tap into neutral; it's easiest to do just before you actually stop. Moving or stationary, it's easier to tap down from second than go up from first.

Welcome to the forum!  :)

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 12:07:35 am
Hi Bill!
Don´t be afraid - you´ll find a replacement neutral between 3rd and 4th  ;D
The gear box will run in and improve a lot within the first 1500 km. Have fun with your clubman!
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 03:15:32 pm
Roll to a halt in second and tap into neutral; it's easiest to do just before you actually stop. Moving or stationary, it's easier to tap down from second than go up from first.

Welcome to the forum!  :)

I've been trying to do this, but its difficult on my bike. What I do is get into first and then lift up - invariably this puts me in second, then a gentle push down puts me in neutral. I do this while stationary at a light.

BTW, the neutral light works when it wants to (80% of time for me) - apparently this is normal as per my dealer.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 09:37:19 am
The neutral light should work every time you're in neutral - it's the neutral light!
Mine works 100% every time.
Your dealer is talking nonsense.

(check the bulb and socket - neolithic design, could be your problem)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 10:17:52 am by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 04:23:06 pm
I've been trying to do this, but its difficult on my bike. What I do is get into first and then lift up - invariably this puts me in second, then a gentle push down puts me in neutral. I do this while stationary at a light.

BTW, the neutral light works when it wants to (80% of time for me) - apparently this is normal as per my dealer.

When you are in neutral and light does not come on - try wiggling your gear lever just a tiny bit up or down - you will hear a click. VIOLA  ! The light will come on - every time.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 04:38:42 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Pod265

• Neophyte
Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 05:29:15 pm
Thanks for the input. All taken on board.

Bill

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 05:45:04 pm
     Motorcycle transmissions are designed to be shifted while moving. It is often difficult or impossible to find neutral at a dead stop. Shift while you are slowing down. Neutral light switches are cheesy on most bikes. Sometimes you do have to wiggle the lever to make contact.

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 04:42:23 am
When you are in neutral and light does not come on - try wiggling your gear lever just a tiny bit up or down - you will hear a click. VIOLA  ! The light will come on - every time.

Yup thats what mine is like. :) I don't think its the bulb, it feels like its an internal switch that is just ever so slightly out of alignment.