Author Topic: Problem / Oil & Filter Change G5.  (Read 3986 times)

Big Kid

• Scooter
on: August 19, 2010, 02:19:35 am
What's the secret?? I have just completed my second oil & filter change on my G5. Twice now I have overfilled and have had to drain excess oil and am having a difficult time getting the level just right.
I have followed the instructions in the manual. Engine oil was warm, gave the bike 1 hour to drain. Tilted the bike in an attempt to drain ALL the dirty oil out, soaked the new oil filter, etc.

After adding 2 quarts of oil. The level looked correct in the sight window.This would indicate I had not gotten all dirty oil out after all since the manual states the the crankcase holds 2.75 Liter/2.9 quart. I started the bike and let it run for a few minutes. After stopping the engine I let the bike sit for 20 minutes to allow the oil collect in the crankcase. The level dropped down to the bottom of the sight window and never went back  up to where I had seen it before starting the bike. I added a bit more oil . Again the level looked good, so I went on a short ride.When I returned the level was too high. I let the bike cool down for 90 minutes according to the sight window the level was still too high. I then drained a small amount of oil, and the level dropped down to the bottom of the sight window again.
 Can anybody tell me what is going on? I have done many oil changes on all my other bikes, but the G5 seems a bit tricky by comparison.
Also, does the MIL indicate oil pressure trouble?
   ???

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 02:51:02 am
What's the secret?? I have just completed my second oil & filter change on my G5. Twice now I have overfilled and have had to drain excess oil and am having a difficult time getting the level just right.
I have followed the instructions in the manual. Engine oil was warm, gave the bike 1 hour to drain. Tilted the bike in an attempt to drain ALL the dirty oil out, soaked the new oil filter, etc.

After adding 2 quarts of oil. The level looked correct in the sight window.This would indicate I had not gotten all dirty oil out after all since the manual states the the crankcase holds 2.75 Liter/2.9 quart. I started the bike and let it run for a few minutes. After stopping the engine I let the bike sit for 20 minutes to allow the oil collect in the crankcase. The level dropped down to the bottom of the sight window and never went back  up to where I had seen it before starting the bike. I added a bit more oil . Again the level looked good, so I went on a short ride.When I returned the level was too high. I let the bike cool down for 90 minutes according to the sight window the level was still too high. I then drained a small amount of oil, and the level dropped down to the bottom of the sight window again.
 Can anybody tell me what is going on? I have done many oil changes on all my other bikes, but the G5 seems a bit tricky by comparison.
Also, does the MIL indicate oil pressure trouble?

???

How much oil came out of your engine ?  What grade oil did you add ?

By all accounts, it takes only 1.8 Litres of oil ( 2 quarts is more than enough).  

As far as not seeing the oil in window is concerned - if the bike is standing at an angle, tilted even slightly to the left, the oil is not visible in the window.  If it is not visible and you have added enough oil, slightly tip the bike to the right just to check if oil is visible in the window.  Then straighten it up and check again.

Also, it takes only about 200-300 ML of oil to reach from Lower to Upper Level mark in the window.  A small difference in the volume of oil is magnified and appears to be full or empty !  

I don't think MIL will indicate oil pressure, even if there was a problem.  MIL only indicates malfunction in electronic sensors or circuit - such as Throttle Position Sensor, Manifold Air Pressure, Engine Oil temperature circuit, Oxygen sensor, Rollover sensor, Injector circuit, Ignition coil, Fuel pump, Crankshaft position circuit.

Check out this link -

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,5148.0.html
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 06:09:41 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 08:13:53 am
Level positioning of the bike is critical - the difference between top and bottom of sightglass level changes with the slightest tilt of the bike. Singh is right - no matter how thoroughly you drain the old oil, you only ever seem to need about 1.8 litres to fill it up.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 10:35:56 am
I’ve done about four oil changes now and trusted the sight glass each time, no damage yet. My procedure;

1. Go for a ride and get the engine hot. Put bike on mainstand and remove main drain plug and the auxiliary gauze filter behind the oval plate.

2. Curse at dropping the components into the hot oil, then curse again for forgetting that the oil is hot and trying to retrieve said components.

3. Run the gauntlet of removing the main oil filter all the time trying to remember how it goes back together.

4. Let the oil drain whilst running cold water over burnt hand.

5. Clean both drain plug magnets & gauze filter and marvel at how an engine which has only done 300 miles since the last oil change can produce so much crap.

6. Re-fit drain plug, gauze filter and oval plate.

7. Install new oil filter and re-fit cover (allow two hours for this bit)

8. Fill with new oil to halfway up sight glass, replace filler plug and then forget it.

I tend to ignore fluctuations in sight glass level caused by leaning the bike and the engine running, I’ve found that if it’s been filled to the correct level with the bike on the mainstand the oil always seems to settle back down to halfway up the sight glass.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 11:58:34 am
" After adding 2 quarts of oil. The level looked correct in the sight window.This would indicate I had not gotten all dirty oil out after all since the manual states the the crankcase holds 2.75 Liter/2.9 quart. I started the bike and let it run for a few minutes. After stopping the engine I let the bike sit for 20 minutes to allow the oil collect in the crankcase. The level dropped down to the bottom of the sight window and never went back  up to where I had seen it before starting the bike."

Just stop RIGHT there ..... If the oil level is at the bottom of the sight glass cold - and you can tip the bike to you just a little and get the glass wet - you are golden. When you ride and the oil get hot and expands - it will come up about halfway on the glass.
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 12:36:16 pm
@ Rusty

Very good description. I can confirm the details, especially the specific dates when to curse  ;D
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Big Kid

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 02:55:27 pm
Thanks to all for the replies.We are good to go and on the road again. ;D

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 03:24:39 pm
Rusy, I enjoyed that. We've all burned for our toys. You forgot the beer steps.  ;) BTW, are you changing oil ever 300 miles!?

Last time I changed (301 miles :) ), I just measured after draining by pouring into a measured container. I was over 2Qts - 2.3Qts actually. So I just put back in what came out and checked the glass after a ride. Its perfect. I don't think my bike burns much if any oil, so the measuring technique works for now.

Do check your sight glass from time to time though, I've heard of some bikes that do burn oil, and quickly.

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 08:32:18 pm
Pretty one´s oil consumption is about 0,1-0,2  litres/1000 km based on the assumtion that the difference between the two marks on the oil glas is 0,3 litres.
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 02:13:42 am
Rusy, I enjoyed that.

So I just put back in what came out and checked the glass after a ride. Its perfect. I don't think my bike burns much if any oil, so the measuring technique works for now.

So far my G5 has not burnt oil and the level remains constant until the next oil change.  But I do change oil frequently - every 2000 miles or less to keep engine clean.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 02:17:04 am
Same here.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 10:38:00 am
BTW, are you changing oil ever 300 miles!?

No not every 300, I was just curious to see whether the swarf accumulation is improving. Since new my bike has accumulated too much swarf on the magnetic plugs imo so in the 2300 miles it's done the oil & filter have been changed three times (plus one bonus change for the gearbox recall).

The last time was on a dealer service at 2000m so I thought I'd have a look 300m later. It cost very little compared to other bikes and I keep the old oil for chain lube.

It's still producing too much swarf so once the warranty is out I'll strip the engine to have a look. Quite looking forward to that little project.