Author Topic: Instability on C5  (Read 75975 times)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #150 on: August 26, 2010, 05:31:55 am
Congrats!  Now get it back together so you can enjoy the rest of the riding season.

Scott
Heard that !!!  Thanks for all your help man, we made some cool stuff !!
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #151 on: August 26, 2010, 01:10:30 pm
Well - THERE you go!!  ;D All your hard work paid off! I'm glad to help as well, Dan - as I said, the problem was driving ME nuts as well ....... you know - "No one should have any LESS fun on an Enfield than ME!" ..... I live by that .... really!

You have been a gREat pair of hands and eyes for me - and the REST of us, as well. Your problem was probably "one in ten thousand", too ..... We all learned a LOT - but we'll probably never see THAT again!  ;) What really tickles ME is all that "engineering stuff" NOW makes sense to me with a real world application .... After reading, reviewing and studying just WHAT could cause the system (motorcycle chassis) to have cyclic oscillating instability - and having everything point to the spring effect of stored energy and then FINDING the "spring" ..... It made me giddy! THAT'S what I live for!

In the end - I'm SO glad that it worked out well - and YOU can see how steady the C5 REALLY is ...... like a ROCK! It's a well designed piece of equipment, thanks to the engineers at REM. My hat's off to those guys! DO let me know about the "button up" - bobber or whatever ..... and post a pic or two! Again - CONGRATS on a job well done!
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #152 on: August 26, 2010, 01:33:04 pm
I don't get why adding some washers would effect spring rate and rebound.
 ?
Run what ya brung

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #153 on: August 26, 2010, 01:34:36 pm
11 pages;
Might you do a shortish summary of the problem and the solution?  (I'm a little lost...)
Run what ya brung

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #154 on: August 26, 2010, 01:38:47 pm
Glad you got it figured out.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #155 on: August 26, 2010, 02:58:27 pm
11 pages;
Might you do a shortish summary of the problem and the solution?  (I'm a little lost...)

Correct me if I'm wrong, GHG ........

The PROBLEM - A wobble or oscillation (weave, technically) in the bike at speeds that increased in frequency as the speed increased.

The SOLUTION - The wheels were carefully aligned, the forks were "detail" serviced and the entire chassis was gone over with a fine toothed comb ..... twice ..... looking for chassis tuning faults that would cause this. Further discussion and the fact that the best chassis tuning on the Planet didn't take the weave out of the bike lead us to believe that there was "stored energy" in the rear of the frame causing the oscillation as the frame tried to correct itself. This was verified by removing the rear section of the bike - the fender stays and fender - and noting that they were, INDEED, under a great deal of tension from the original installation. A test ride with the rear section off the bike yielded the expected result - the bike is as steady as a fence rail at speed now. Thanks to Dan (the GHG!) for the due diligence, hard work and NO DANG WHINING! through the whole process. The hard work paid off - and BOY!, did we learn a lot on THIS one ....  ;)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #156 on: August 26, 2010, 03:19:40 pm
So basically waht was needed was to just loosen all the nuts and let things generally fall into place?  That kind of makes sense...Thanks
Run what ya brung

shappers

• Scooter
Reply #157 on: August 26, 2010, 06:33:37 pm
Hi y'all,
been following this with interest and got down on my hands and knees and had a look under my C5.

I can see the foot pegs hang off a cantelevered offshoot of the frame.  A couple of inches back from them is a cross bolt that holds the side stand.  Further back is another cross bolt that holds the exhaust and the engine and the other part of the side stand and centre stand, this bolts up solid.

The front one doesn't.  Could this be adding to the spring effect at the rear of the frame?
I think I'll cut a piece of tube to fill the gap so it will bolt up solid.

Thanks for all the good work, Shappers.

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #158 on: August 26, 2010, 06:46:54 pm
Learned much, thx to everyone who contributed to this thread, especially Gorilla & Bob!
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #159 on: August 26, 2010, 08:28:29 pm
Br. House: "But he that shall persevere to the end, he shall be saved."  Matthew, 24-13.
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #160 on: August 26, 2010, 08:47:59 pm
So basically waht was needed was to just loosen all the nuts and let things generally fall into place?  That kind of makes sense...Thanks

No - The rear (BENT!) section of the bike was removed to get it to be straight ..... NOW the rear section will need to be hand fitted so as to be installed without the stress. In other words - two people shouldn't have to put the rear section on the bike with one prying with a six-foot spud bar and the other yelling "Gidda BOLT!, Gidda BOLT!" ....

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #161 on: August 26, 2010, 11:05:20 pm
 Thanks scooterbob, perfect summation, could not have said it better myself,saved me some key tapp'in time, so i can get back to the garage and put her back together. Look guy's this is a basically an electro/mecahnical device on wheel's and like any device, whether during manufacture of after,at some point it's gonna fail. It's what happens afterwords thats Important.I think we just proved that when two sincier party's get together( Customer and Merchant), Any issue can be resolved. I've seen both sides and can relate. A little patience and understanding by both party's is all it takes. If one or the other party break down, a defencive dealer or an unreasonable customer, forget it. I think we all know what kind of great Company we're dealing with, and the type of great people on this forum.
 Look I know there's some of you out there thinking," What was that guy nuts, going through all that work, I would have brought it back to the dealer" Well ,your right, in this case you should. But for me, it was the most convienent, and another statement about CMW ,with there willingness to help and improve there product. Most places would have said "Screw this guy, He's do'in this sh%! on his own". Again, we can see what type of people were dealing with, with the true concern and interest, displayed by scooterbob.Am I nuts? no ::).Just a love for this stuff. And how cool is it, that we can openly share all of this stuff? A few years back,we'ed all be in the dark, about any issue, both dealer and customer.I  really think,forums like this only make for a better product and happier people.
 I really did enjoy getting to the bottom of this, it's the process that makes it fun.I looked forward getting home, and taking a look at what ever you guys suggested, think'in "maybe scotty,r80rt, bob,quinn, of who ever, may be right" Hell, you all been there, and you know it. It's how we have fun. Purely selfish on our parts. ::) What fun is it to go to someone and say" here fix this for me".
Thanks again boy's, your the best, now can i go and put my freek'in bike back together now? :D
Dan.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 11:13:46 pm by gashousegorilla »

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #162 on: August 26, 2010, 11:12:11 pm
Glad you got it figured out.
Thanks man, you and me ,right there when we found it. ;) Ya made it easy be'in there online, with the comparisons. Da man!!!

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #163 on: August 26, 2010, 11:28:51 pm
I don't get why adding some washers would effect spring rate and rebound.
 ?
UncleErnie,  the washers only more solidly locked the shocks into there mounts.I had about 1/16"- to 1/8" play, in the rubber bushing/ spacer area.Top and bottom. The bushing would slide a bit ,left or right. Hay, all the little stuff adds up. Just a little less flex at the rear end and a stiffer feel.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #164 on: August 26, 2010, 11:31:42 pm
11 pages;

11 pages on this one alone!!! There's three other threads!!! :D