Author Topic: Instability on C5  (Read 75808 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #135 on: August 22, 2010, 10:13:04 pm
Point is simple, r80rt, Cheers to Kevin Mahoney and scooterbob for running a quality company, that is truly looking out for there customer's.

+11ty billion.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #136 on: August 22, 2010, 11:13:47 pm
  Measurements look good!! 1 1/2"  center to center from seat spring mount to fender stay mount, both sides. Wheel is dead center between shock towers, 8" between top shock mounting bolt heads, wheel center dead on at 4". Also equal distance between the shocks both top and bottom 'bout 9 3/4" center to center, give or take a 1/16 of slop in the rubber bushing area. So far so good!
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #137 on: August 22, 2010, 11:39:58 pm
Just a tid bit, you boys ever notice how on some of these bolt heads, not all. It's a pain in the butt to get a wrench or a socket on? Like there's too much plating? Or it's some kind of weird old British size? :D I tell you what, this bike looks good with the tail section and seat removed. Prime candidate for a nice little bobber! Low profile sprung seat, short little rear fender, side mount tail light,probably get a 120 in there if you loose the chain guard,even makes the stock pipe look good, forgetaboutit!!! I know scooterbob must have something brewing ;)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 12:26:48 am by gashousegorilla »

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #138 on: August 23, 2010, 01:30:00 am
Just a tid bit, you boys ever notice how on some of these bolt heads, not all. It's a pain in the butt to get a wrench or a socket on? Like there's too much plating? Or it's some kind of weird old British size? :D I tell you what, this bike looks good with the tail section and seat removed. Prime candidate for a nice little bobber! Low profile sprung seat, short little rear fender, side mount tail light,probably get a 120 in there if you loose the chain guard,even makes the stock pipe look good, forgetaboutit!!! I know scooterbob must have something brewing ;)

No rear fender and stays - no chain guard - and the rear pillion seat frame propping up an old BSA bum stop ..... I mean, I thought about it .....  ;)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #139 on: August 23, 2010, 01:42:04 am
No rear fender and stays - no chain guard - and the rear pillion seat frame propping up an old BSA bum stop ..... I mean, I thought about it .....  ;)
I may just put this bike back together in a different form ;) Really would not take too much ,ya know? Only little fly in the ointment is how them tool boxes look from the rear. I guess a wide low profile sprung seat would help them blend. Brown leather, lip in the back, you know like them ones you get from v-twin? Got pic of a bike I did with one on it, check it, tell me what you think.Might work nice? Hay, like that fork brace?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #140 on: August 23, 2010, 02:05:35 am
Second point of info:

I undid the two mounting bolt for the rear fender stays on the right hand side so it was totally free.  Again, about 1/8" movement.  No frame spring here.

I had the same thoughts: both fenders off, shorty muffler, model A tail light/side plate mount, single round bar end mirror on the right .  You could make the current seat lower just by putting thinner padding on and recovering it.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #141 on: August 23, 2010, 03:44:58 am
Second point of info:

I undid the two mounting bolt for the rear fender stays on the right hand side so it was totally free.  Again, about 1/8" movement.  No frame spring here.

I had the same thoughts: both fenders off, shorty muffler, model A tail light/side plate mount, single round bar end mirror on the right .  You could make the current seat lower just by putting thinner padding on and recovering it.

Scott
Good scotty, sounds like you got no tension.You better stop with all this Bobber stuff, I'm getting all worked up :P. Maybe some upsweep  trumpets/cocktail shakers? Loose the trafficators? Just ended inspections in Jersey ;). And we were all real diligent about going, too. Damn shame. That left rear passenger peg mount is a perfect location for that plate and light combo. Again, this pipe really looks good like this, pull all you stuff off, tell me if I ain't right?
 Alright back to business,I wasted enough time tonight stairing at the bike wondering what if's. She's all rigged and ready for the run and gun.Lic. plate ty rapped to seat springs,gonna have to do without the taillight.I'm 3 min from the highway, down to the next exit or two,then back home. Should take about 20 min.Tomarrow though when it's light. So to any Jersey Troopers on the forum, Officer......... Brother....... Sir.I am doing this in the interest of science and highway safety,particularly mine. ;D

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #142 on: August 23, 2010, 05:36:38 am
Oh, forgot the most important part. I put in those washers on the shock mounts. I put in 8, 4 on each side, upper and lower. On the top, inside the shock shroud, on either side of the rubber bushing ,on the spacer. Same thing on the bottom, inboard and outboard so everthing lines up nice. I used 1/2" flat washers, reamed out to fit nicely on the 15 or 16 mm bushing spacers. I gotta tell ya, I was a little sceptical, but this does really firm up the rear end. Checked the shocks while they were out, no apparent leaks. And both seemed to have the same tension, while pushing them down on the work bench. Not very accurate test, I know, but I have no shock testerizer ;)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #143 on: August 23, 2010, 06:05:48 am
  I DO NOT THINK EVERYONE SHOULD START TEARING THERE REAR ENDS OFF TO HAVE A LOOK!

I gotta tell ya, reading back over this, I could have used a better choice of words,  huh?   Geez!  What was I thinking?

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #144 on: August 23, 2010, 11:27:57 pm
 Been raining here all day, of course >:( Can't use the highway, but was able to get up to around 50 mph on some side roads, feels a lot more stable so far.I'm Crossing   fingers for tomarrow. Forcast for rain till  thursday though.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #145 on: August 25, 2010, 10:59:17 pm
Test ride complete!!.............................. ;D :o Full details later, got some stuff to do.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #146 on: August 25, 2010, 11:06:36 pm
Test ride complete!!.............................. ;D :o Full details later, got some stuff to do.

This is teasing - not allowed  ;).  What is the result - hurry up man !   
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #147 on: August 25, 2010, 11:51:29 pm
+1 on that.  Ya tease!

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #148 on: August 26, 2010, 04:11:17 am
 Give me whats left in that damn bottle scooterbob, YAHOO!!! SUCCESS!!!!
Sorry guy's did not mean to tease, really had a bunch to do.(well Just a little  ;))
Brother sing , my apologies, had to strike when the iron was hot. Sing and myself have been trying to hook up since saturday, but the weather was not cooperating. Pretty much rain ever since, with a tooth extraction yersterday.
Had a slight break in the weather today, so I shot home after work,before rush hour traffic could build, Grabbed the slightly disgruntled wife,told her to follow me on the highway, cause I ain't got no tail light. Grabbed the bike,and hit the road.
 To her utter concern and anger, I quickly lost her ;) Like riding on rails I tell ya.
Man, what a difference, Is this what I was missing for the last year? I could only get it up to 75 mph due to congestion ::),but believe me, I had plenty of stability to spare. I would say it's probably a mirror image of scooterbobs test on the very similar to mine,equipted bike. 19" front wheel, wide handlebars. Minus the rear fender, and them suns a bitch'in fender stays >:( Man what a relief, How long we been work'in on this guy's,since May,June?

Before,I could induce an oscillation at between 30-40 mph, and it would take a few times to correct, now I can't induce one. Before at 55-70 mph if I induced one,well forget it,I better get the speed down, or it's tank slapper time. Now,when i tried it at 70mph,slight oscillation, with emidiate correction.Did get the normal wind buffeting due to the seating position and handlebars, but easily managable. The eight washers i added to the shocks, does stiffen the suspension up a bit,but at the cost of comfort. but not that much. I'll take the perfomance.
 So,what do i do know? Adjust them fender stays and put it back together the way it was? Run another test to make sure? Or turn it into a factory looking Bobber now? Hummm....... Choices? Maybe I'll put it back together for now, and do it over the winter. I do have that guy patiently waiting for his 80' cb750, that was sitting in someones back yard for 5 years. Next challenge :D Gotta love this sh&! Brother sing, i'll give you a call tomarrow. I'll get some pics together for the steering damper thread, showing the Simian stabilizer  and the GOrilla Cage ::) both of which had there advantages, but did not cure this. If these were all combined,Fogetaboutit!!!
 Thanks guy's,Dan.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 05:05:08 am by gashousegorilla »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #149 on: August 26, 2010, 04:56:12 am
Congrats!  Now get it back together so you can enjoy the rest of the riding season.

Scott