Author Topic: Instability on C5  (Read 76082 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #105 on: August 21, 2010, 07:42:55 am
More important than the stays, the wheel seems off center between the shocks.  Not sure if that's ok or it's supposed to be like that but I doubt it.  Can you remove the stays entirely and ride without the fender for a bit?  Might need to rig a temporary light/plate.  Or maybe you just have the wrong set or wrong order of spacers on the rear wheel.

Took a quick look at the top of my shocks, all looks snug.  I'll do a more thorough investigation tomorrow and maybe take the seat off and see if it's still snug.

Scott

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #106 on: August 21, 2010, 08:02:46 am
Wow look at how much you guys have contributed to this thread, while I was asleep.
The C5 was truly designed for the city with sharp handling in mind, and the G5 like the old bullet for straight line stability. And hence, as suggested by Ducati scotty and Scooter bob, any deviation from near perfect tends to bring oscillation on it.

I would personally suggest all ailing bike owners to check the fastners, spacers on the rear suspension, including the swing arm and axle nut and the rear wheel. Check for alignment of front and rear wheel and test ride the bike with tyre pressure 20 front 30 rear. If it still wiggles try swapping the rear shockers from one side to the other. If this does not works than only check the innards of the swing arm like its bush, spacer and bolt, same with the rear wheel. I think this bike will need frequent attention to the rear suspension for riding at 80 MPH or above else she is just fine.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #107 on: August 21, 2010, 08:13:18 am
Anyone happen to have an exploded view of the rear wheel and swingarm with all spacers in order?  Ducati nicely puts the exploded views with part numbers of every bike on the web in PDF, that's really nice!  ScooterBob, any chance you can drop a hint to our friends in India?

Oh, and I suppose we might be able to take the lower frame rails as a reference and see if the wheel is centered and/or parallel with respect to the frame rather than just in line with the front wheel.

And one last thing, should we pick one thread to continue so we don't all keep going back and forth between the two?  I'm getting dizzy.  No wait, that's the wine.

Scott
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 08:17:13 am by Ducati Scotty »

perri

• Scooter
  • Italy
c5 2009 italy

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #109 on: August 21, 2010, 10:02:31 am
Those side fender stays are very stiff. So much so that if pushed in either direction,left or right, they will load the frame,and push it in that direction. You can imagine the fender centered between those misaligned stays. It's stored energy, constantly pushing my frame, from the left rear ,clockwise. So while your riding your bike, there's a push to the right, constantly. You don't feel the push, you feel the instability of you trying to keep the bars straight, while on the other side of the pivot, (steering head), the frame is pushing right. In this case I believe it is due to the fender stay mount, where it welded to the frame, not being welded in at the correct angle. Look closely at the pics. Notice the difference between the left and right welded in mounts?  The difference is slight at that point, but at the other end of the fender stay its huge. See what I mean?
t

I looked at the last picture, zoomed it and measured the distance from the edge of the tyre to three different positions of the shock mounting of the frame. It seems like the tyre is off centered to left by half a inch(on the computer screen at least). So nothing to do with the stays I guess.

Possibilities I can think off

Either the swing arm bars are not aligned
Spacer is of inconsistent length

@Scott- we could either take the lower frame rails but we could also take the shock mountings on the frame too

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #110 on: August 21, 2010, 12:43:02 pm
I'd leave the fender and stays's off and go for a ride, it looks like the top stay mount on  the muffler side is welded farther forward than the other,I think you've about got her figured out.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 01:33:43 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #112 on: August 21, 2010, 02:22:41 pm
Gotta laugh :D You guys are missing it. Stop measuring by camera angles. I assure you, the spacer's are on correctly. look at the last pick, look were the wheel is ,in relation to the swing arm. It's straight, remember, alignment was just checked again.Gentilemen, it's a bad weld on the frame, at the fender stay mount.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #113 on: August 21, 2010, 02:25:55 pm
I measured the top stay mounts on my frame. Center to center on the bolts from the top stay mount to the seat spring mount is 1 1/2"

Center of top shock mount bolt to center of top stay mount bolt is 4" it's the same on both sides.
What do you have?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 02:29:36 pm by r80rt »
Iron Butt Association

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #114 on: August 21, 2010, 02:40:20 pm
Not with bike now, will check for you guys, it's not the location of the mount. It's the angle at which it's been welded in.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #115 on: August 21, 2010, 02:45:13 pm
Whip out your rat tail file and change the angle of the bolt hole ;D
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #116 on: August 21, 2010, 03:30:09 pm

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #117 on: August 21, 2010, 03:33:33 pm
Again my brother we think alike. ;) I think I'll leave it for now, Scooterbob gotta see this. For those of you who are not seeing this, and I know you are r80rt, I suggest you read back very carefully over this thread and the one on steering damper for C-5. Pay very close attention to what me and scooterbob are saying,Well more so scooterbob about the dynamics of the bike. Look and study the links he posted.Consider, like bob says, what at the rear of the frame could move, or more accurately exert a force. Follow all the observation's and clues. You will see why bob and I were sceptical about what that engineer in India found and how it pertained to my bike. Brady may very well have had a loose top shock, were the egg corn nut bottomed out before good contact with the top shock mount. Or that engineer stumbled across something and did not realize, or did not say. Remember he did change those two spacer's, were they bad? or was he just covering the bases?

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #119 on: August 21, 2010, 07:29:33 pm
 A simple test to confirm. Remember, my rear fender was centered over the rear wheel before taking it apart. The fender,although made of thin sheet metal, is strong in it's design. It is basically a long curved arch. That's why the Romans used it on aquaducts, and buildings. It's a strong shape on all sides. OK, if I go to the side of the offending fender stay, in my case on the rear left.And some one at the front right, just holding the bars straight. Got the picture? If I pull the left rear fender stay out to a position were it was when the fender was in place, What do you think happens? That's correct, the bars stay straight with a little resistance from the person in front, but the rear of the frame pivot's to the right at the steering head.
Dan.