Author Topic: Instability on C5  (Read 75068 times)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #45 on: August 19, 2010, 05:48:48 pm
You've gotten more erudite suggestions than I could give, but I was thinking going to the 19" front hoop might improve stability as well. Change the steering geometry.

FWIW, my C5 has had no problems.  I am routinely up to 70, and have gone higher. I can MAKE it oscillate, but it doesn't do it of it's own accord. Got to be something off in the setup.  Good luck!

I'm curious here - if you "upset" the bike in a straight line - how many oscillations do you get 'til it's fine again. Mine will do about two - and that's all in the gyroscopic procession, I believe - not in the suspension at all .......
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #46 on: August 19, 2010, 06:02:29 pm
hmmmm....2-3 I think.  It's been awhile since I've experienced it. It self corrects pretty quickly, and I've had it up better than 85mph. It's a twitchy bike, fer sure, but mines not "unstable" like some.

Oh...and I just read throught the other thread and saw he has the 19" already (told ya I didn't know much...)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #47 on: August 19, 2010, 06:14:56 pm
hmmmm....2-3 I think.  It's been awhile since I've experienced it. It self corrects pretty quickly, and I've had it up better than 85mph. It's a twitchy bike, fer sure, but mines not "unstable" like some.

Oh...and I just read throught the other thread and saw he has the 19" already (told ya I didn't know much...)

That sounds about right ..... I call the handling "crisp" - it sure does where you tell it to go .... especially at speeds, but it's not as hard to control near the edge of sanity like the Ducati. Slip up on THAT bike and you are going to fall off ...... period. The Enfield will give you a chance to recant your testimony once .... Hahaha!

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #48 on: August 19, 2010, 06:57:49 pm
Never been on a Duc....sounds like handful!

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #49 on: August 19, 2010, 07:01:58 pm
Never been on a Duc....sounds like handful!

Well - they are essentially race bikes with turn signals .... YOU have to be in charge of them - or you WILL get tossed. That's why I ride the Enfield the most! Hahaha! I'm too old to fall off hard - I'd shatter like a china plate on a tile floor ......  ;)

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #50 on: August 19, 2010, 07:03:29 pm
LOL!!  Too much bike for me.  I like riding slow bikes fast, but riding fast bikes fast sounds like a good way for me to get in trouble.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #51 on: August 19, 2010, 07:03:47 pm
GHG - I just had a brainstorm ...... Is your rear, drive side bearing going away on the wheel? Give it a good tug, top and bottom to check this ..... Lemme know!

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #52 on: August 19, 2010, 07:08:26 pm
LOL!!  Too much bike for me.  I like riding slow bikes fast, but riding fast bikes fast sounds like a good way for me to get in trouble.

Well - I usually suit up and take it out about twice a year - once to remind me why I bought it (better than sex!) and once to remind me why I shouldn't ride it (STILL better than sex ....!) It's not FURIOUSLY fast like a one liter Japper-Knees bike with all them extra "syllables" - but the handling is crisp enough to make your ears bleed .... and that WILL get you in trouble on the street. Rocks, other cars, small dogs and kids will ALL upset the chassis right at the edge of traction .... They ain't none of that stuff on the racetrack, where that heep belongs! Hahaha!

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: August 20, 2010, 03:36:28 am
You've gotten more erudite suggestions than I could give, but I was thinking going to the 19" front hoop might improve stability as well. Change the steering geometry.

FWIW, my C5 has had no problems.  I am routinely up to 70, and have gone higher. I can MAKE it oscillate, but it doesn't do it of it's own accord. Got to be something off in the setup.  Good luck!

Another Rocker with a C-5?, Thanks man. Have you tried the ton on yours?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #54 on: August 20, 2010, 01:41:05 pm
The visiting RE engineer had the entire rear suspension dismantlled, including the rear wheel, hub and the front sprocket. He found the wear pattern on both sprocs equal and hence they were put back as before. He then checked the spacer of the rear wheel and decided to change it, as also the spacer in the swing arm. Refiited everything back and I tested the bike till 130 KPH/81 MPH. It was stable, in fact I did try to weave it at those speed, but it did not oscillate. ;D
Now for the tricky part (what the engineer did not know). The attending mechanic unknowingly added few shims on either sides of the rear shockers (upper bolts), cause he thought the gap was too big for the bolts to hold it tightly.
If you guys know, the Indian version comes with a seat pre installed which slots with the fastners where the rear suspension goes and its front is bolted the fram below the front seat. My two cents, the removal of the rear seat created a gap at the rear upper bolts which allowed the rear supension space to pull on either sides, creating the oscillation. I also saw the upper bushes of the shockers pulled sideways. Let me know if this theory holds any water.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #55 on: August 20, 2010, 01:50:38 pm
Good for you, glad you got an answer! I checked my C5 and did see a gap at the top of the shocks. I haven't had any problem but I put a washer in there to take up the slack any way. Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 02:39:01 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #56 on: August 20, 2010, 03:01:23 pm
WOW!!! EXCELENT!!!.  Still trying to disifer what he's saying though? r80rt, I think he means you should not have to put in the washers? What side wheel spacer did he change? To what size? What swing arm Spacer?  What the? Oh Geez, i'm not here with my bike!  Please someone!!!  Bradey your kill'in me, more detail Please!!
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #57 on: August 20, 2010, 03:05:19 pm
I just went for a short blast up to 70mph, if the washers did anything I didn't notice it.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #58 on: August 20, 2010, 03:21:21 pm

Another Rocker with a C-5?, Thanks man. Have you tried the ton on yours?

Yeah man!  I got her up to 95 mph once (on the dial anyway...)...WOT, laid down on the tank, feet on the rear pegs...scared the crap outta myself on this bike.  I swear, there was a bit more to spare and I ditched the old pipe since, so I have to try it again.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #59 on: August 20, 2010, 03:24:44 pm
WOW!!! EXCELENT!!!.  Still trying to disifer what he's saying though? r80rt, I think he means you should not have to put in the washers? What side wheel spacer did he change? To what size? What swing arm Spacer?  What the? Oh Geez, i'm not here with my bike!  Please someone!!!  Bradey your kill'in me, more detail Please!!

The only spacer that's in your swingarm is a tube that goes between the bushings - which are pressed into the swing arm pivot. They aren't selective - and tightening the through bolt SHOULD pull it all together ...... Same with the wheel spacers - no selection here ..... and tightening the spindle should pull it all to "zero" ..... I want to what what voodoo went on there as well ..... I'M thinkin' someone just found a loose bolt - or took apart, scratched their heads and inadvertently put it back together right ..... it's a mystery!