Author Topic: Instability on C5  (Read 75085 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #195 on: September 03, 2010, 07:01:35 am
Gorilla wanted some pics of the newer style fender mounts.  As you can see below, there's just a threaded boss welded to the strut and the fender bolts up flush to it.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #196 on: September 03, 2010, 03:44:46 pm
 Thanks scott. Definatly a improved set up, not only looks better, but seems to be stronger. Direct connection to the stays/ fender. No springy tab in the middle. UMMMM............
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #197 on: September 03, 2010, 04:08:20 pm
I suppose you could still get misaligned but at least it looks cleaner.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #198 on: September 03, 2010, 04:28:35 pm
I suppose you could still get misaligned but at least it looks cleaner.
I'm thinking it would be tuff to get misaligned with that set up. Unless the holes were drilled wrong or short, on the the side of the fender.As long as the front of the fender is seated in the bush. With your set up, if the fender was forced due to a short drill hole, it would be noticable in a crooked fender, Ya Know? Thats a big improvement!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 04:50:51 pm by gashousegorilla »

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #199 on: September 03, 2010, 05:25:20 pm
 I gotta tell ya, Good job R.E. That should really stiffen up that hole tail section, big time.Cheers to those Engineers for seeing it and making ajustments.I'll go and have some crow for lunch ::) Scotty, when you get a chance, can you have a look on the inside of the fender, tell me if you see a U  shaped brace in the area of the mounting holes?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #200 on: September 03, 2010, 05:32:18 pm
It would turn the fender into the spring instead of the little tabs.  With the size of the struts it would be easy to be off but I think you woulc be more likely to notice.

I didn't feel any thing when I tighened those bolts but I wasn't looking for anything either.  I'll take a look later.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #201 on: September 03, 2010, 05:58:04 pm
It would turn the fender into the spring instead of the little tabs.  With the size of the struts it would be easy to be off but I think you woulc be more likely to notice.

I didn't feel any thing when I tighened those bolts but I wasn't looking for anything either.  I'll take a look later.

Scott
Exactly!!!!!!!!  With the benifit of a stiffer tail ! :o Multiple issue resolved!  I bet yours is fine.

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #202 on: September 11, 2010, 12:59:34 pm
Thought about starting a new thread, then chucked the idea because this is not an issue which will take too much of brain storming.

I wanted to know the RPMs at various speeds in various gears, for the C5. Like what is the engine RPM when the bike is doing 65 MPH in 5th cog or 4th Cog etc.

This information will help immensely in riding the bike in its comfort zone in absence of an RPM gauge, although many would know this by seat of their pants  ;D

Thank you guys.

shappers

• Scooter
Reply #203 on: September 11, 2010, 03:18:43 pm
Hi Bradey,

mph/1000 revs

1       5.29
2      8.04
3     10.64
4      13.36
5      16.19

65mph is 4000 revs in 5th
and 5000revs or near in 4th

Cheers, Shappers.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #204 on: November 01, 2010, 04:18:46 am
Today on the freeway for a short test, the C5 was fine up to an indicated 60mph (about 55 actual) and above that started to dance a little on the fine grooved surface.  I gently pressed on and had it up to about an indicated 67mph when the bike started a wobble that was VERY SCARY.  Letting off the throttle took care of it.  I was careful to not have a death grip on the handlebars.  The wind direction was with me.

The tire pressure is a little above 18/24 so I'll get them to that next weekend and give it a go.  Any other suggestions about it?  I sure would like to be able to ride at freeway speeds for the times when I have to do it. 
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #205 on: November 01, 2010, 06:31:58 am
Grooved pavement is just nasty all around.  Try to find some smooth road for your next ride.

Also, make sure you're rear wheel is aligned properly and that there isn't excessive play in the steering head bearings. 

Scott

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

CMB

• Scooter
Reply #207 on: November 01, 2010, 02:49:39 pm
Bob - telling the Prof "I can do 80 with no hands on mine" does absolutely nothing to help him with his problem.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 03:12:55 pm by CMB »

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #208 on: November 01, 2010, 03:35:41 pm
Bob - telling the Prof "I can do 80 with no hands on mine" does absolutely nothing to help him with his problem.

But it shows definitively that whatever the problem IS - it can be solved. The Prof's bike, I'm assuming, didn't fall eight feet from the top of a stack and get put back together from workbench junk. It should not be hard to sort out. All the advice in the world in the thread ..... that's why I supplied THAT link as well .... Did you look that far? I thought it would be a good idea to post the link to that so we didn't end up with another "oil thread" ... after another, after another, after another - especially since this topic has been pretty well explored and all the possibilities noted by the great fellows here on the board. Just tryin' to save the man a little RIDING TIME! Hahaha!  ;)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #209 on: November 01, 2010, 04:06:44 pm
  I agree with scotty and scooterbob, it sounds like the grooved pavement in this case. I get the same problem with my other bikes on the roads that have it. On much heavier bikes to. It's that finely, straight line textured concrete on highways, that sucks. I think they do it so water drains better on hilly highway sections, to prevent icing. Like scotty said, the obvious test would be on flat black top. Also prof mentioned his tire pressure was a little above the recommended setting, how much?