Author Topic: Instability on C5  (Read 75949 times)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #75 on: August 20, 2010, 08:48:08 pm
You could always put on some struts and run her ridgid to see what tells you.
Ya , know we think alike. Was thinking that same damn thing. You beat me to the key board. :D
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #76 on: August 20, 2010, 08:51:14 pm
I've been thinking of hardtailing mine for a while now, I might do it someday ;D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #77 on: August 20, 2010, 08:52:12 pm
I like your idea and I quite agree with what scooter bob say's that a little something off trigers those wacky moments and sometimes its perfect.

Can anyone just try tightening up the rear axle shaft as much possible  and see if that helps.

I had the instability before I got the puncture but after putting a new tube and fixing the wheel back, it was gone. I didn't touch anything else except tightening the rear axle way too much. Usually I keep 28Psi at rear which helps a lot but this time it was 32Psi and it behaved far better.

What if the the shocks are not vertically centered on the swing arm, can that create problems ?

All your doing is making a week swing arm stiffer. I would be careful about over tightening, and ruining the bearings.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #78 on: August 20, 2010, 08:54:48 pm
Swap sides with the rear shocks, that might show something too.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #79 on: August 20, 2010, 09:01:33 pm
All your doing is making a week swing arm stiffer. I would be careful about over tightening, and ruining the bearings.
The wheel was rotating freely and I hope it wasn't to tight. Gona check it in the morning.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #80 on: August 20, 2010, 09:52:47 pm
Swap sides with the rear shocks, that might show something too.
Excellent idea !

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #81 on: August 20, 2010, 10:04:26 pm
These shocks are gas charged I believe, one of your may have sprung a leak.
Iron Butt Association

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #82 on: August 20, 2010, 10:19:50 pm
These shocks are gas charged I believe, one of your may have sprung a leak.
Yup, that too.nother good one.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #83 on: August 20, 2010, 10:38:14 pm
I just went and a 45 mile ride at varying speeds up to 75mph, on glorious new pavement and the cracked up old stuff with the washer spacers in place. While I had no problems before, it now some how seems better,  don't know if it's a change in vibration or what, but it is something I can feel. I thinks it's worth the effort.
r80rt, where exactly did you put your washers?On the outside, under the center stand handle? Inside the top shock shroud, where the rubber shock bush is? Did you do it on both sides? I do see some side to side play, in the area of the top rubber shock bush. I think in side the shroud would be better?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #84 on: August 20, 2010, 10:46:35 pm
I think what he means is that the top schock mount bolt on the Indian C5 from outside to inside goes like this: acorn nut, shock, fat seat bracket, frame.  

Just out for a ride.  The rear mounts for the seat are outside the shock.  So the order should be: acorn nut, washer, fat seat bracket, shock, frame.  Might be some more washers in there but no need to remove the shock it seems, just put some extra washers on the outside so the nut snugs up nicely on the shock.

Scott

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #85 on: August 20, 2010, 11:35:18 pm
INSIDE the shock shroud text to the bushing, it you put them outside the shock mount will have to bend in to put pressure on the bushing. The top shock bolt is a shoulder bolt, washers on the outside of the shroud will do nothing. Both sides.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 11:43:16 pm by r80rt »
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #86 on: August 20, 2010, 11:48:40 pm
Can you get that top shock bolt out without removing the fender?

Or perhaps one picture is worth a thousand words here.

Scott
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 11:51:02 pm by Ducati Scotty »

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #87 on: August 20, 2010, 11:50:39 pm
No. I loosened the fender and raised it up. You could hack saw away part of the washer to make C's out of them and drop them over the bolt easy enough, that would probably be easier.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 12:01:51 am by r80rt »
Iron Butt Association

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #88 on: August 21, 2010, 12:16:28 am
There you go r80rt, another washer on the outside won't do sh@!, the 1/16" on both sides of the bush is were the problem is, that mechanic or engineer only crushed the bolt tabs! That slop is on top and Bottom.!  Guys how do you check the charge on these shocks, the book is vague.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #89 on: August 21, 2010, 12:31:27 am
If you got washers with the inside diameter a little larger than the steel collar inside the rubber bushing you could put them in to take up the slack between the bushing and the shrouds on the side.

Not sure on the shocks, I'll check my Snidal manual when I get home.

Scott