Author Topic: Instability on C5  (Read 75029 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #240 on: December 03, 2012, 02:17:48 am
I did get out to check out the new fork oil on a long ride today, about 260 miles down to Palomar and Julian.
The ride on the 91 and I-15 were improved to the point of feeling like I had gotten new forks, that actually moved and would glide over little bits of raised pavement instead of launching the whole bike up and slamming your teeth together. They won't quite smooth out the California Whoops, but nothing else will in this size range either. The groove weave is still about the same, but I blame that more on the road, than the forks. Handling in the twisties is still superb, and I didn't notice any alarming brake dive. The forks don't appear to be sticking anymore, either.
All-in-all, an extreme improvement in the bike without much cost or hassle. I wish I had done it right after I got the bike. I would surely highly recommend anyone who hasn't changed their fork oil to do it as soon as possible and enjoy the bike as it should be enjoyed. In comfort!
I used 200 ml of Maxima 10wt fork oil in each leg. More riding will indicate whether there is any fine tuning needed, but right now I'm happy as a frog on a lily pad!
Now, all I have to do is fine tune the bike to some new boots I just got!
Bare

2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #241 on: December 03, 2012, 04:02:34 am
Isn't it amazing what a quart of 10w fork oil and an afternoon can do?  And by the way, I'd bet you get the same result on just about any bike, any make, any model.  I've never seen a fork thread where the spec amount came out of any fork.  They're ALL under filled and what comes out always looks like crap.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #242 on: December 07, 2012, 12:56:16 am
A bit off topic here, but...  Anybody see the custom Yamaha SR250 on the Bike Exif site?

http://www.bikeexif.com/custom-yamaha-sr250

I guess those Galicians didn't read this thread before choosing their familiar-looking front tire:

Sorry - back to our regular programming...

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #243 on: December 07, 2012, 01:44:00 am
I like the pseudo-steam-punk look.  very industrial.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5