Author Topic: Instability on C5  (Read 75022 times)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #165 on: August 26, 2010, 11:35:44 pm
Br. House: "But he that shall persevere to the end, he shall be saved."  Matthew, 24-13.

AMEN!!!
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #166 on: August 26, 2010, 11:44:35 pm
Hi y'all,
been following this with interest and got down on my hands and knees and had a look under my C5.

I can see the foot pegs hang off a cantelevered offshoot of the frame.  A couple of inches back from them is a cross bolt that holds the side stand.  Further back is another cross bolt that holds the exhaust and the engine and the other part of the side stand and centre stand, this bolts up solid.

The front one doesn't.  Could this be adding to the spring effect at the rear of the frame?
I think I'll cut a piece of tube to fill the gap so it will bolt up solid.

Thanks for all the good work, Shappers.

Thank's, not sure I'm getting the picture, is it loose? Which front one? The one by the pegs?

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #167 on: August 27, 2010, 01:44:22 am
In the end - I'm SO glad that it worked out well - and YOU can see how steady the C5 REALLY is ...... like a ROCK! It's a well designed piece of equipment, thanks to the engineers at REM. My hat's off to those guys! DO let me know about the "button up" - bobber or whatever ..... and post a pic or two! Again - CONGRATS on a job well done!

Will do bob, I'll post some pics of the fix. As you said, it's pretty simple. Just carefull assembly of the the fender stays, tweaking the the mounting locations were needed. Getting that rear fender to sit between the stays without any side to side pressure. The whole assembly, when installed correctly and being so strong and stiff, may even add a stabilizing effect.Like a tail on a GOrilla ;)
 SSR and Ducatiscotty. that was a good observation about the left top shock mount, the wheel IS slightly off center to the left. This is to allow clearence on the right for the sprocket/ brake drum. The rear wheel is put in line with the front wheel with the spacers, then finished off with the snails. Nice pick up on that ;) It is also compensated for in the slightly different lenghts of the fender mounting tabs on the fender stays.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 01:53:49 am by gashousegorilla »

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #168 on: August 27, 2010, 03:49:36 am
Your perseverance, acute observation and analysis has resolved this issue of  instability of your C5.  Also cheers to all who positively contributed to solve this problem.  Everyone benefited from this marathon discussion and we have one more happy RE rider.   :)
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

siddharthmenon

• BuddhaSource
  • Scooter
  • BuddhaSource
Reply #169 on: August 27, 2010, 07:27:10 am
I think what you're experiencing is normal. I did 65 for the first time the other day and a brief wiggle of the bars created an unnerving oscillation. :) The bike is just not designed for it, and I'm ok with that. If I need to do highway, I'll take another ride.

I confirm this, this happened to me when I least expected, I was really scared after this. I am more careful when I am banking etc.

I reported this to RE workshop and one of the guy took test drive to say everything is fine and stable. I wish he was there when it happened. ::)

But its really a concern. I would suggest you guys to consult RE expert in India. I personally consult with S S Ghisad at Mumbai. He has loads of experience and was suggested by many.
Why do you feel shy to act stupid ?

Twitter : @BuddhaSource

shappers

• Scooter
Reply #170 on: August 27, 2010, 10:40:32 am
Hi GHG
it is the front one and no its not loose. But overtightening would have the effect spreading the frame behind the rear bottom engine mount and sandwiching the sump between the foot rests, there isn't much clearance down there.

I just a thought it might be worth pointing out.

Cheers, Shappers.

shappers

• Scooter
Reply #171 on: August 27, 2010, 11:16:06 am
Hello again,
I've had another look and think its purpose might be to stop the foot rests rotating the frame members they are attached to.  This definately prompts me to pop a piece of tube in there after undoing both bolts to let the frame settle and then have a careful measure up.

I don't think has a direct bearing on the this threads findings but anything to relieve stress must be useful.

Cheers, Shappers.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #172 on: August 27, 2010, 12:38:28 pm
Your perseverance, acute observation and analysis has resolved this issue of  instability of your C5.  Also cheers to all who positively contributed to solve this problem.  Everyone benefited from this marathon discussion and we have one more happy RE rider.   :)

And as a BIG bonus - we now know MORE about the C5 and its chassis dynamics than we EVER want to know ... Hahahaha!  ::) It's all good, though - everyone gains from this sort of stuff.
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #173 on: August 27, 2010, 04:07:16 pm
Hello again,
I've had another look and think its purpose might be to stop the foot rests rotating the frame members they are attached to.  This definately prompts me to pop a piece of tube in there after undoing both bolts to let the frame settle and then have a careful measure up.

I don't think has a direct bearing on the this threads findings but anything to relieve stress must be useful.

Cheers, Shappers.

O k, I got ya.The BSA trick does help with smoothing out the vibes a bit. But if your having the same symptoms as me.And I don't think every one is. Don't go on any wild goose hunt ;) Take a look at our findings here. Give the tail section a look, just to rule it out. If it's ok, good, move on to the next possible cause. Good luck.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 04:26:39 pm by gashousegorilla »

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #174 on: August 27, 2010, 04:30:17 pm

Thanks brother sing, cheers to all.
 Hay, what happened to the spell checker? I arnt soo smartt and needs dat ting :D

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #175 on: August 28, 2010, 07:02:08 am
Thank you all guys for sharing your valuable time, thoughts and most importantly efforts to not only take this thread further, but also zero in on the problem and resolve it. I am sure that anybody facing this issue will certainly benefit from this thread, although he may need an old wrench like GHG, SBob and the likes  ;)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #176 on: August 28, 2010, 07:55:10 am
Thank you all guys for sharing your valuable time, thoughts and most importantly efforts to not only take this thread further, but also zero in on the problem and resolve it. I am sure that anybody facing this issue will certainly benefit from this thread, although he may need an old wrench like GHG, SBob and the likes  ;)
Thanks to you Bradey for meeting with that Engieer and Mechanic. At that point I had pretty much exhausted possibility's. I figured what the heck, I'll take a look at the shocks. Thats when I stumbled accross the tension being stored in the fender stays. I think if you did not have that meeting, we would all still be working on it. Funny how sometimes you figure things out. Like devine intervention, or good Kharma ;) Its a good bike,and I really don't think it's going to need constent attention to keep things stable. Once it's set up correctly. I don't see why it should? Other then routine things like alignment/chain adjustments,bearing and suspension inspections. etc.
 You got to figure that this bike is only in it's 2nd year of manufacture, things could only get better. Takes time to get the bugs out, with how there made and how they ride. My bike is an 09', I bet that there have been changes in the way the bikes are made now. As long as the manufacturer pays attention to things like this, we'll be alright.
Thanks again Bradey, you saved us all from another one of my unending threads in pursuit of stability. :D
Dan.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #177 on: August 28, 2010, 05:10:22 pm
  Gentilmen, another  thing I've found that I think is critical to check, IF, you are having the same problem as me.Along with checking the fender stays for loading the frame, you must ensure that the notch, at the front of the fender is properly seated into the rubber bushing, on the mount, on the frame, under the seat. That rubber bushing seams to have a dampening effect on the whole tail section of the bike. I guess it, gets rid of that tuneing fork effect. It's  seems to be a good design, and something that was anticipated, but if not installed correctly, I could see where it would have a negitve impact.
Dan.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #178 on: August 28, 2010, 05:54:40 pm
 Heres a pic of the shock washer thing. Sorry, but the top mount came out blurry. You get the idea though. No side to side sliding of the rubber bush on the spacer.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #179 on: August 30, 2010, 02:16:42 am
 Mission complete!!!
 The tail is fully assembled, after a little adjustment of the fender stays and a little refitting of the fender. Test ridden, beutifull!!! I'm a happy camper!! Look out G-5 owners!!   You know me, I think there's a little bit of improvement needed in anything ;) With all that truck like highway stability, we'll beat you yet. :D
 Scooterbob,an amazing man.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 06:43:54 pm by gashousegorilla »