Author Topic: I Just Put a Deposit Down on a New ...  (Read 7565 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 04:32:57 pm
Having just gone through getting a bike totaled and dealing with too much insurance, State Farm is good.  The guy at the shop was very relieved when he found out the person who totaled my bike had State Farm since they are one of the easiest and best ins companies to deal with.  I'll be looking to them for quotes in the near future.

Scott

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
  • It takes a villiage to raise an idiot.....
Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 04:55:03 am
To get the tool box cover off,  Turn the key lock a quarter turn counter-clockwise., it is a simple bar and lock-plate inside.  The lock plate is welded to the cover , the bar on the key lock side gets in behind the lock place and draws the cover in on the right side.

The lock nut on the back side frequently loosens up, not enough to cause the cover to loosen but enough to make unlocking it the first time confusing.  When the nut loosens the key lock will rotate all the way around.

You will find a place to put your fingers behind the cover near the top on the left side,  Put your other hand at the bottom at about 7 o'clock, put your fingernails in back of the edge of the cover and wiggle out top and bottom back an forth and it will give way.  Unlike the Air Filter and Electronic Box covers there is no hinge, it comes off completely.

Do not use petroleum based grease on the rubbers, in a year you wont have to worry about pulling the cover because the rubbers will be cracked and fall apart.  Pick up some Silicone Based O_Ring lube.  Pool stores carry it,  Jacks 427 is a good one, there are others.  Lube it generously.  You can also rub a small amount of Silicone Grease on the plastic gasket surface on the cover where it rubs on the box sides.

-Q
Any other Enfields in New England?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 09:46:04 pm
-I'm going to switch to full synthetic after about 3000 or so.  I've got 13XX miles and I'll change before my 1500 mile trip with dino in two weeks.  I'll change to synthetic when I get back.

Silly me!  The bike already had an oil change before I bought it and the dealer put in 15w50 Maxima full synthetic.  I did another one yesterday at 1500 miles with the same oil. 

Scott

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 11:23:33 pm
On the oil front, I was told by the owner of Royal Enfield Seattle (nice that Ducati Seattle gave RE its own name!), that he was advised to change the oil to 15W-50 semi or full synthetic oil when they set up the bikes for the new owner (that would be me).

So I wonder how many miles in should I change the oii again.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 11:27:43 pm
I did my first change at 300 miles, second at 1000, after that every 2000. May have been to often but I never heard of one being oiled to death!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 12:33:39 am
That sounds right.  One at 200-300 to get the first batch of metal shavings out early, then another around 800-1000, then every 2000 after that.  Having 2-3 oil changes in the first 1000 miles is good for most motorcycles.  Even modern bikes shed a lot of metal in the first few hundred miles, especially from the transmission.

Scott

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #21 on: August 19, 2010, 02:06:57 am
Okay, back the original topic, with MANY thanks for all the replies!   :) :D ;D

Royal Enfield Seattle told me today that the shipment of 6 bikes arrives on Friday.  They plan to set up my C5 and let me ride away on Saturday.  WOO and HOO!

Salesguy Adam said that they change the oil at 600 miles.    I wonder if he was talking Ducati-speak (since RE is so new there), or not.

I might change it myself at 200 miles before letting them do it at 600.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 03:14:45 am
You have chosen wisely,  you'll love that bike!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 04:30:30 pm by r80rt »
Iron Butt Association

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #24 on: August 19, 2010, 10:13:56 pm
You're supposed to do oil at 300. Pick up some oil filters and orings now, 300 will come quick!