Author Topic: Round and True Rims  (Read 4151 times)

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
on: January 10, 2008, 09:36:39 pm
I 'd just like to hear from you  all , how many of you have problems with rims that aren't running true.   My 02 Bulllet shakes like mad from front rim not really round...dg

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 12:06:51 am
     This is not a normal Enfield problem, but it is a motorcycle issue that is relatively easily corrected. With age and use most spoked rims will need attention. First check your wheel bearings. Bad bearings will cause quite a wobble. Tape a pencil  to the forks so that the point almost touches the rim. Chock up the bike so you can spin the wheel. You will be able to tell if the rim is out of true by watching the point. Some run out from side to side and/or up and down is normal. It takes a LOT of run out for the average rider will notice your symptoms. If it is out of true, take it to a qualified mechanic for truing. It is not as easy as it looks to adjust spokes. Other problems are more likely. Most wobble or shake problems are the tire. Check the pressure! This usually fixes the problem. A worn or old tire can be the culprit. And of course the wheel assembly should be balanced. All this presumes that you didn't hit a curb.Ggood luck!

SRL790

• Grease Monkey
  • 1954 350
Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 02:11:38 am
Also check that the tire is "beaded out" correctly to the rim all the way round.
Andy Wiltshire
54 350 Bullet, 62 Jaguar MK II, 68 BSA Spitfire, 69 BSA Starfire
70 Bonneville, 71 Bonneville, 71 BSA B25T, 74 Jensen Healey
74 Honda XR75, 81 Yamaha MX80, 82 Suzuki GS1100G

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 09:17:28 pm
Pretty much tried all that..  I think I got a Friday afternoon rim.   A really bad spot of weld when put together.  Guess I'll have to buy a new rim.    Shakes me off of the bike after about an hour.   Maybe disc brake is way to go but spoils the looks.   dg