Author Topic: intermittent electrical problem  (Read 4252 times)

hondahog

• Scooter
on: January 04, 2008, 01:49:24 am
The ignition switch on my 2005 military seems to go dead intermittently.  Rapidly turning the handlebars to jarr the stop sometimes prompts it to work again.  Has anyone experienced this problem with their bullet.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Phil

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 03:28:35 am
There is a wire bundle wrapped in black electrical tape that emerges from under the headlight housing on the right side and then snakes back between (and under) the gas tank and frame member.

The turning of the handlebars rubs this bundle against the right side fork stop.  The fork stop is a welded on metal flange.

On my bike I noticed this was rubbing through the black electrical tape - just to the point of bare wire insulation showing.  I repositioned this wire bundle upward where it doesn't rub anymore.  I recheck it everytime I think about it - as it has a tendency to want to work it's way downward with handlebar motion.

I don't know if this is your problem but it should be looked at and checked.

Regards, Foggy
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 03:31:05 am by Foggy_Auggie »
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 05:33:34 am
I have been having electrical gremlins attack my bike since last spring. I am taking it completely apart, and rewiring everything - that way I should cure the problem.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 06:53:16 pm
Check out those damn bullet connectors from the ignition keyswich to the loom inside the casquette. At least it only takes one screw (Oy; behave yourselves  :o) to remove the headlight to get to it all. They might just need a clean up or a bit of a squash with some pliers to tighten up the connections. Straight forward sort of fix I think you'll find!
Good Luck!!!
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 12:09:53 am
I've used this wherever there was a connection  http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/permatex-dielectric-grease-p-6676.html

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 12:21:53 am
Same for me, Scotty.  I spent an afternoon during my first week of ownership trying to find EVERY connector and gooping it up with a good dab of dilectric grease.  Well worth the effort... haven't experienced any electrical gremlins through a season and a half of riding... (pauses to knock on his wooden head)

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan.
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

hondahog

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 02:50:37 pm
Thank you for the advice.  I will either find or buy a new tube of dielectric grease and check the electrical connections.  After I replace the clutch cable  :o

Thank you again for the advice.

Phil