Author Topic: side play in swing arm  (Read 7077 times)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
on: August 12, 2010, 01:55:33 pm
I noticed yesterday when I was tightening everything up after chain adjustment, a little bit of sideways free play, which is apparent if I grab the rear edge of the rear wheel and yank it from side to side. It doesn't happen if I grab the front of the wheel and do the same, so I'm guessing there's slack in whatever is holding the swing arm on at the front, rather than at the wheel hub. It's not much - perhaps 4mm at the back edge of the wheel, and it doesn't clunk except in a muffled sort of way. Feels like a worn bush.
I don't know how much play is acceptable in the swing arm, but seems like something's on the way to getting too sloppy.
Any thoughts?  ???
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 02:34:35 pm
4mm at the back of the rear wheel?  Maybe someone will disagree but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.  Check it from time to time.  If it gets bigger something is wearing.

Scott

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 03:28:44 pm
As Scott says, 4mm not much but if you want then change the bushes or to completely remove any play then you can opt for rubber bushing from CI bulls.

I am assuming you have tightened up the swing arm bolts.

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 03:55:51 pm
I think that is pretty much normal for these bikes. They are not a precision made bike. Mine has always had a little play in the swing arm pivot.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 04:19:19 pm
Thanks for the input.  Reassuring to know.  As I do more maintenance on the bike I'm tending to notice these things as I come to them. I'm an instinctive mechanic and can usually figure out how a thing comes apart and goes together, but inexperienced when it comes to motorbikes (you noticed that, didn't you  ;) ).
The swing arm bolts are immovably tight, so it's just normal bush movement I daresay. I'll keep an eye on it. Actually, having just had another look at it, I doubt it's even 4mm. Just I was expecting no side movement at all. I do like precision engineering!
Yeah I know - shouldn't have got an Enfield then..... :D

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 05:47:43 pm
Just I was expecting no side movement at all. I do like precision engineering!

UCE engine or not, this is a 50-60 year old motorcycle design.  A little wiggle is just fine :)  Many bikes have rubber bushings which which will give you wiggle anyway.  I think from gashouse's pics in another thread these are nylon with a brass sleeve.  Beyond that, this frame has a single top tube and is bolted together in a few spots so it flexes a good bit anyway. 

You've got to learn to feel the history and character of your bike.  It's not just a machine, it has a soul.  With a Ducati, you drink a few espressos then ride like hell down a twisty road.  Finish off with some good company and red wine and call it a day.  With the enfield you should enjoy a strong cup of tea (English breakfast or chai, your choice) ride a little, keep a good British stiff upper lip while it wiggles more than it should, consider your kharma and what you've done in past lives to deserve these wiggles today, then park at home, walk to the pub, and have enough pints to feel as loose as the bike.  Safety note: you can ride when the bike is a bit loose but not when you are ;)

You will not find this information printed in any books or manuals but is is essential to truly understanding any machine.  It's not just the machine, you must embrace the culture that has given birth to it and nurtured it.  I'm giving you pearls here man.

It's an old style motorcycle, not a Swiss watch.  Relax and enjoy!

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 06:57:41 pm
Bloody hell Scott.  Just how much of that stuff are you smoking?   ;)

It's a motorbike mate. It aint got a soul and I sure don't call it Doris or Gordon or any other such bloody nonsense. ::)  
I mean I'm very fond of it and all that.  But really -  it is just a machine.  :D

Only Darjeeling in this house. First or second flush. The very prince of teas  ;)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 07:18:34 pm
Only Darjeeling in this house. First or second flush. The very prince of teas  ;)

Darjeeling Nah !  Too - weak, though does have great flavor.   

For the real thing, the King of teas - Assam Tea.  Or the Yorkshire Gold.  ;)

Well, if you REally want Chai - nothing beats 'Wagh Bakri' loose tea leaves that you can only get at an Indian store.  Just could not resist this conversation on tea.  ;D
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 07:51:02 pm
Bloody hell Scott.  Just how much of that stuff are you smoking?   ;)

Perhaps the machine's soul exists only in my mind but it's a working model and a good one at that ;)

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 07:56:16 pm
Singh - you know not of what you speak! SUBTLE isn't the same as weak.  ::)
Assam? Builders tea!  Blaugh!   ;)

Scott - man and machine in tune and harmony. I dig it  -  really....   ;)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 08:10:39 pm
And if you disregard all the rest just take the tea, red wine, and pints part.  It will server you well.

Wow!  Usually it takes an oil thread to start sparks flying.  I didn't realize the volatililty of a 'tea' thread.  Then again, England and India both take their tea pretty seriously and I think my country's break from being a colony started with some kind tea incident.  I should think more before I speak.

Nah! ;)

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 08:13:16 pm
sparks...?

Cheers m'dears.   ;D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 08:19:33 pm by WillW »

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 08:44:24 pm
It's a motorbike mate. It aint got a soul and I sure don't call it Doris or Gordon or any other such bloody nonsense. ::)  

Of course it has a soul.  Your guardian angel can keep up with a Royal Enfield, unlike most all the sportbikes!  You stay safer this way.

:D
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 09:03:05 pm
Guardian angel?  I dunno where you lot pick up these ideas.  You all must be livin in some whacky dream world inside your heads.....   :D
BUT I'll go along with it for a quiet life  ::)  I need you lot after all to educate me when my machine's quirks bring on these anxiety attacks...  ;)   :)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 09:04:25 pm
Singh - Assam? Builders tea!  

ASSAM tea - A Builders Tea, Wah  ;D   I take it as a compliment. 

Let me go and brew a REal cup of chai right now.  ;)  By the way, WillW you are invited to join me too !   
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5